Gibson Brands Forums

ES-339 Pro Black Royale

BaZie

Hi all,

I'm thinking of ES-339 Pro in Black Royale version. However I am not sure what pickups are in it: Epi site says Alnico Classic Pro, but some others say Probuckers. What is the truth?

Thanks in advance for any comment.

Hi all,

I'm thinking of ES-339 Pro in Black Royale version. However I am not sure what pickups are in it: Epi site says Alnico Classic Pro, but some others say Probuckers. What is the truth?

Thanks in advance for any comment.

Alnico Pro's...If you do a search there's lots of comments but I think the overall consensus is Alnico(classic)Pro's...I think some of the early ones might have had the Pro Buckers or something like that. I don't really get all the mystery. It shouldn't be that difficult to figure out, but apparently it is :-)

If you do a search there's lots of comments but I think the overall consensus is Alnico(classic)Pro's...I think some of the early ones might have had the Pro Buckers or something like that.

Thanks for the answer. The problem is that after reading the comments I'd rather think there are Alnico Pro's, but in at least one shop the guitar description says there are Probuckers 2 and 3 (neck and bridge, respectively). That's why I asked. Maybe someone has ES 339 with Probuckers :)

Thanks for the answer. The problem is that after reading the comments I'd rather think there are Alnico Pro's, but in at least one shop the guitar description says there are Probuckers 2 and 3 (neck and bridge, respectively). That's why I asked. Maybe someone has ES 339 with Probuckers :)

I have an Ultra-339 with ProBuckers 2&3, but that is a different guitar.

I've not played the Alnico Pros, but the ProBuckers are damn fine pups. I also have them in my Epi LP. I can't think of any reason to want different pups for either guitar.

IOW, play one and see if you like it. :)

Take 5 minutes to loosen the strings, unscrew the 4 screws on the plastic pickup ring, and flip the PU's over. There's a sticker on the base plate that tells you what they are. Epi's used both Probuckers and Alnico Classic Pros in their 339's, and in spite of what it's 'supposed to have' it may have the other kind. There's been a lot of changes that Epi's made in electronics over the last several years and some things are in transition.

I have a ebony LP Royale that has Alnico Classic Pros (great sounding PU's); one has a single lead, the other has 4-lead, and no push-pull. So there's a bit of variation in things for the time being.

Archived