Gibson Brands Forums

What do you think of this?

ponty

$20 for a Martin classical guitar? I would have left it on the side of the road like the wise lady ahead of you done did. The label don't mean a thing when it has the nylon string. Don't give me that Willie Nelson bow-sheet neither.

$20 for a Martin classical guitar? I would have left it on the side of the road like the wise lady ahead of you done did. The label don't mean a thing when it has the nylon string. Don't give me that Willie Nelson bow-sheet neither.

A classical-style guitar is just another tool in the tool box for a lot of us, so I'm not sure what is gained by bad-mouthing it. I have a really nice Spanish classical that doesn't get much use, but if you ever feel like playing some Jobim, somehow it doesn't come out quite right on a J-45.

I also had a late-19th century Martin the was only suitable for nylon strings (or gut, originally). The steel-strung guitar is basically a 20th century invention, so whether you like it or not, your modern steel-strung guitar is a direct descendant of the type of guitar you denigrate.

Keep an open mind here.......

You're a real pr*ck. Why did you come back here? Feel the need to sh*t all over a new class of forum users? Pinhead.

• 4 weeks later...

OK... I couldn't wait to get to an expert luthier! So here is my entry into the world of lutherie.

As the guitar cost me $20, I thought I would give it a go. Here are the results, Top, sides and inside.

Couldn't get the colours right, and sand through was an issue. I put two long cleats on the inside, which can be seen

on the inside image. Not a pro job, but I don't think it a disaster.

post-4695-040003300 1370381310_thumb.jpg

post-4695-074081100 1370381328_thumb.jpg

post-4695-080764600 1370381576_thumb.jpg

Ponty-drop me a personal message with your mailing address and I'll send you a bone endpin that I've had for so long I know I'm not going to ever use it. That little jewel needs to have yet another hole covered and I would love to see it go to a worthy home.

Ponty-drop me a personal message with your mailing address and I'll send you a bone endpin that I've had for so long I know I'm not going to ever use it. That little jewel needs to have yet another hole covered and I would love to see it go to a worthy home.

Thanks MP appreciate that.

As you say, not a pro job. But an adequate repair. . B)

So, did you string her up? How's she sound?

Oh yes..forgot about the sound. It sounds good. I put a new set of medium tension strings

on and it sounds very sweet. Definitely not a classical guitar, more of a nylon strung folk guitar.

The action was a little high but brought under control by a low bone saddle.

....'How much for the guitar?' I asked

Oh, $25! I looked it over and said,'would you take $20?' he said yes..."

You dirty, rotten, rat bastage, Persian rug dealer... [sneaky]

Actually, you made him feel better. Had you said, [omg] "Are you @#(*ing nuts yeah." [woot] \:D/ He'd have thought, "@#(*& I should have asked more." As it is, you made him feel better about the whole transaction by kibitzing.

At lest that is what I would tell myself. [wink]

Archived