Gibson Brands Forums

switchcraft output jacks

Sgt.

looked at the output jack on my lp studio and it says 'China'. can't be a switchcraft because they're made in the US right? The specs on Gibson lp studio say it's switchcraft. it's no big deal, i could have it replaced for like ten bucks. is there any advantage to using switchcraft output jack?

are there differences to the chinese made jacks and the usa made jacks?

Its such a basic component that im not sure it matters..

I have a couple of jacks for my build.. One of them the metal is a bit softer than the other and that's probably the only difference you will find.. Some of them are like a heavier gauge metal.. does it matter sound wise, probably not.. But maybe a softer metal one may bend out of shape with enough use and the socket will get a bit loose?

The output jack does quality does not matter until it does.

It is such cheap component that there is no reason to go cheap.

The last Switchcraft jacks I have bought are well built but they are stamped "Mexico".

The output jack does quality does not matter until it does.

It is such cheap component that there is no reason to go cheap.

The last Switchcraft jacks I have bought are well built but they are stamped "Mexico".

Exactly,

I've been cringing every time I read you guys say that the output jack is a minor part of the guitar. If it were to fail you would think of it as terribly minor.

In the '60s and early '70s, before there was "boutique" gear, and "magical tone improving" cables, there were stock jacks on guitars and stock plugs on instrument cables (mostly coiled cables)...

When jacks or plugs failed, the Switchcraft 1/4" plugs and jacks were overwhelmingly the most common replacement and were considered the "industry standard". It was well recognized that they were good quality and reliable. They didn't become intermittent or produce static or break. Thus, they were the first choice.

Considering how inexpensive jacks and plugs are, why go to the trouble of soldering a cheap junk jack into a guitar, instead of installing a good quality jack that will prove to be durable and reliable?

Archived