Gibson Brands Forums

Thoughts for a Sundaty morning.

MissouriPicker

Had a friend on Facebook send this to me. The cliché "music is the universal language" comes to mind, but for me it's even more than that. Whither you're religious or not, it's a pretty powerful piece of work. Simple song delivered in Cash's simply way, but it speaks volumes about the power of music. That's a beauty of a guitar he's playing too. Hearing all these guys talk got me playing it on my J150 this morning. Makes me feel very human.

http://billmoyers.com/2013/05/03/moyers-moment-1990-johnny-cash-on-our-personal-prisons/

Can't stand it when he's on his pulpit preaching ignorance. Fortunately, there are times he has a rational moment.

"Ignorance" is in the ear of the beholder. Listen, and you may learn something.

Well Nick, we are all entitled to our opinions. Your comment was slanted as a positive to Moyers' views and words.I would assume that my comment would be equally valid....no? My turn....Just another journalistic/political "hack". And sure, he has some 'rational views' at times.

I sure do miss Bernie Shaw.

Very few pieces of music can transfix me. Blind Willie Johnson's "Dark Was The Night, Cold Was the Ground" though can put me in a place no other piece music has the power to do. Don't need lyrics.

MP - some great Johnny there. . [thumbup]

Regarding the talking head comments - these parasitic, toady, name dropping, so called newscaster/analyst/commentator/interviewers are a dime a dozen these days. Some networks are filled with these types spewing their BS 24/7.

I'm a Cash fan but Amazing Grace is over rated. As for Moyers he's a very smart man with a great deal of journalistic integrity. It doesn't surprise me that folks who probably can't comprehend much of what he has to say would denigrate him. For some reason or another there's a troubling trend toward pride in ignorance these days. When did opinions become more important than facts? Anyway, RIP Mr. Cash. I would have liked to hear your thoughts on for profit prisons and the laws and politicians that keep them full.

I'm a Cash fan but Amazing Grace is over rated. As for Moyers he's a very smart man with a great deal of journalistic integrity. It doesn't surprise me that folks who probably can't comprehend much of what he has to say would denigrate him. For some reason or another there's a troubling trend toward pride in ignorance these days. When did opinions become more important than facts? Anyway, RIP Mr. Cash. I would have liked to hear your thoughts on for profit prisons and the laws and politicians that keep them full.

JG2, I agree - Amazing Grace is a pretty song: Inspirational lyrics, almost haunting melody. But, after awhile becomes almost like bubble gum music. It seems to be the default at many funerals. I prefer classics like "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot" - you can do more with songs like that. And, as with the front end of your comment, I agree with the back end. I think our problem in the US is that we elect lawyers. I would guess 75% of Congress are lawyers. What do they know how to do? Make laws. More and more laws - soon we will all be unable to move without breaking a law. And, as they learn in law school and in court - 'legislators' argue to the point of stretching the truth and hiding it, just to win their case. I think our founding fathers envisioned a broader sampling of professions and trades leading the country.

Short, final note on the filling in between your beginning and ending - If you go to Bill Moyers & Company website today - their are 4 leading articles that have to do with gun control and one on honey bees. I don't find the former LBJ press secretary has journalistic integrity in the sense that he presents both sides of any issue. He is still displaying grieving Sandy Hook family members to try to generate grass roots support to force senators to have to vote again on limits to the 2nd amendment. Sort of like a whiney 6 year old who won't take 'no' for an answer. Sort of like me when my wife says I can't get another guitar.

I didn't mean to hijack MP's thread.... it was meant to be something for a Sunday morning's ponder.

I personally feel Amazing Grace is a beautiful song, and knowing the life story of the author makes it all the more meaningful to me.

What was powerful to me is what Johnny Cash did with it. Just a man who plays marginal guitar and a voice that sometimes isn't exactly hitting the correct notes

is absolutely spellbinding, (as are most of Cash's songs).

I'd rather listen to Cash and guitar alone than most other musicians.

I have just found out in the last hour that my best friend of 40 years took his own life last night with a gun he bought last month. I would admit that no gun laws of any kind would likely have prevented this. I am inconsolable.

not much a man on the other side of the world can say to you sir . my condolences

I guess I'll be hearing Amazing Grace again sooner than I thought as I have just found out in the last hour that my best friend of 40 years took his own life last night with a gun he bought last month. I am inconsolable.

Oh, I'm so sorry...... there's simply nothing else anyone can say to you right now.

jannusguy .... sorry for your loss

The rest of you ...... we are better off in the forum if we stay away from politics ...... lots of other places on the web to post those thoughts.

As for Amazing Grace ..... I'm just back from a Folk Music festival held this weekend. Every jam session there is ended with this song .... as it is at our local club's weekly jam. It has a special meaning to each of us, even the Godless ones. Thanks for posting, MP.

There is a great slide version of this song in last month's (I think) Acoustic Guitar .... you slide players should check it out.

bbg .... sorry for your loss

The rest of you ...... we are better off in the forum if we stay away from politics ...... lots of other places on the web to post those thoughts.

As for Amazing Grace ..... I'm just back from a Folk Music festival held this weekend. Every jam session there is ended with this song .... as it is at our local club's weekly jam. It has a special meaning to each of us, even the Godless ones. Thanks for posting, MP.

There is a great slide version of this song in last month's (I think) Acoustic Guitar .... you slide players should check it out.

wasnt me with the sad news my friend

JG2,

My sympathies for your loss. What I find worse than suicide is the idea that a man can feel so bad or feel so hopeless that it looks to be a viable option. I hope everyone finds peace.

Sincerest condolences.

Archived