Gibson Brands Forums

String height 2013 J35

levidale

hello, I got a 2013 J35 and I got question about the string height at the 12fret. Its shows to be 8/64 at the low E, and at the high e it's 2/64ths,why is the high e so low?, could it be the nut is cut to low? I want lower the low E to about 6/64ths but if I sand the saddle the high e will go lower too and then it might be to low then. what should be the best way to fix that? Gibson says the action should be about 6/64th low E and 4/64th on high e.

thanks

kevin

The high E is so low because someone left it that way...either the factory or the people you bought it from (who, in my opinion should do a setup before they give it to you....but that was the olden days). The only way to go up on an acoustic saddle is to shim or make a new saddle. This assumes you've checked relief first as should be the case before anything else (someone else correct me here if you disagree). I'd play it for awhile if you haven't already and see how bad your high E buzzes. You might be able to live with it if you get the low E right by carefully sanding down only the low side of the saddle. Use a straight edge and a sharp pencil to give yourself an index line for when you start sanding. Otherwise make another saddle. It isn't that hard to do it yourself. Frets.com explains how. I bet you're stoked with your new J35. Congrats.

It's hard to know what's going on without having the guitar in hand. Could you post a close-up picture of the bridge and saddle, taken from an angle that allows us to see the position and height of the saddle?

At 2/64", I'm amazed if you don't have buzz or fret-out on the treble strings.

It may be that all the guitar needs is a proper set-up.

At 2/64", I'm amazed if you don't have buzz or fret-out on the treble strings.

I'm amazed it came from the factory that way (if it did). Wouldn't expect these to be hitting the used market just yet.

Maybe we're talking 2/32nd's??

I'm amazed it came from the factory that way (if it did). Wouldn't expect these to be hitting the used market just yet.

Maybe we're talking 2/32nd's??

brand new for about 2 months. had a guitar guy look at it and said he lowered the action at the nut but I just that thought was too low.no buzzin or fretting out. I just want to lower it at the low E. I should have probably had said that first. sorry.

Are you sure its 64 ths your talking ?.... ppl usually talk in 32's...so 8/64..is 4/32..yes ?..2/64 is 1/32

if that was the case i would expect the treble strings to be buzzing with out a doubt

how does it feel to play ?

its 8/64ths low E and 2/64ths high e no doubt

plays good it just bugs me the that low E is so high. My other j45s are 6/64th and 4/64ths

its 8/64ths low E and 2/64ths high e no doubt

plays good it just bugs me the that low E is so high. My other j45s are 6/64th and 4/64ths

Ok..so you got 4/32's at low E..which is high

and

1/32 at high E which is very low.... and you say a guitar guy has also lowered the nut ?

well if it plays good...?? you nedd to take the low E side of the saddle down...maybe tricky..I'll let someone else advise..all the best

Congratulations on the new J-35. I bought one today and the factory string heights on mine are low E 8/64 and the high E 4/64.

This is probably a long shot, but does the pickup element under the saddle reach all the way across the bridge slot?

Ok..so you got 4/32's at low E..which is high

and

1/32 at high E which is very low.... and you say a guitar guy has also lowered the nut ?

well if it plays good...?? you nedd to take the low E side of the saddle down...maybe tricky..I'll let someone else advise..all the best

[/quo

thanks

Congratulations on the new J-35. I bought one today and the factory string heights on mine are low E 8/64 and the high E 4/64.

This is probably a long shot, but does the pickup element under the saddle reach all the way across the bridge slot?

yes it does

.... Gibson says the action should be about 6/64th low E and 4/64th on high e. ...

Not sure where those specs came from.

Gibson acoustic specs given on their Setup page - http://www2.gibson.com/Support/Tech-Tips/Basic-Guitar-Setup.aspx

1st fret- treble side- 1/64"

1st fret- bass side- 2/64"

12th fret - treble side- 5/64"

12th fret- bass side- 7/64"

Archived