Gibson Brands Forums

classic custom vs new les paul lite

manny

I see the new Lites are about $500 cheaper than the Classics. I have an ebony CC. Would I be disappointed if I got the lite as well? I like the fact that are supposed to be a limited run like the CC's.

I see the new Lites are about $500 cheaper than the Classics. I have an ebony CC. Would I be disappointed if I got the lite as well? I like the fact that are supposed to be a limited run like the CC's.

Hello! If You are talking about the Custom lite, it's not only $500 cheaper but 50% thinner also. ;) Not to mention the missing tone knob...

Cheers... Bence

I don't get out much anymore. Bought a Classic Custom last December and liked it a lot. Set up from the factory was good, '57 Classic buckers sounded great, and maple board was no problem. But it had been several years since I gigged with a Les Paul and the Classic weighed almost 10 pounds. Had a gig, played one set with it and figured there was no way I could go two more sets - just too heavy for an old man with a history of disc problems in the lower back.

Then I saw the Custom Lite at my local shop. I traded the Classic Custom for the Custom Lite and am happy. Different tone due to different pups, but still a good LP tone, and weighs in at about 6.5 pounds. Am getting used to the missing tone pot and coil split (still may end up modding that back to two tone controls). In addition to being thinner and lighter it also is contoured along the top back edge (like a Strat) - most comfortable LP I've ever played.

Not sure I would own both, just to get the coil split feature, but if the weight is the main issue (it was for me) the Custom Lite is a good solution.

Hello Twang Gang!

Would You share some pictures? I am curious how the thinner body affects to overall look. Probably, it can help Manny as well to make the right decision... ;)

Cheers... Bence

Hello Twang Gang!

Would You share some pictures? I am curious how the thinner body affects to overall look. Probably, it can help Manny as well to make the right decision... ;)

Cheers... Bence

I would love to, but don't have a digital camera <_<

Thanks Pippy!

I don't really know what to say. I guess, it's too surprising at first sight. I am not saying it's bad, just very strange, seeing it out of the sudden. Hmm. Maybe a "pancaking" could be performed on it. [blink]

Cheers... Bence

I can't wait to try one. You'd think it would sound more like an ESP Eclipse II than a full-thickness Les Paul, a sort of Super Strat sound (but with a warmer neck).

No it doesn't sound like an ESP, or a Strat it really does sound like a Les Paul - which it is. I haven't gigged with this one yet and really played at full band volume but I'm beginning to think that perhaps Gibson has wasted tons of good mahogany because LPs didn't need to be that thick all these years [unsure] The Classic Custom has the '57 Classic pups which are super clean and bright. The Custom Lite comes with the 490R and 490t, which are a little grittier I think so maybe that is some compensation for the thinner body?

I really believe that one of the keys to the LP sound is the combination of the mahogany body and the maple cap which this guitar still has, just there is less mahogany. I have a Taylor (sorry I know that's sort of dirty word at this forum) solid body that is sapele (from Africa in the mahogany family) which is also thin and light (although from what I understand sapele is a little denser and heavier than mahogany) and yet has a very full bodied rich tone. That one is capped with walnut.

Will let you know how it does tonewise after I play out with my full rig and full volume.

Thanks for the input. My CC was my first Gibson. I love that guitar; it is heavy as hell though, I may invest in the padded strap. Is the 'baked maple' a thing of the past now, or it just because the Lite is a custom that is has the rosewood? The classic custom is a great looking and playing guitar, would putting the 490's in it make it sound better? I dont know much about the 50'/60's neck profile thing,although I know the CC is a 60's profile and I like it a lot. I guess the reason I bought the Classic custom was because I will never be able to afford a real Custom ( I have never played a Richlite board). I think I will pass on the Lite, as much as I would love to check it out. I got my eyes set on a Firebird anyway. BTW, this forum supplies a great wealth of knowledge, thanks to all those who post.

Thanks for the input. My CC was my first Gibson. I love that guitar; it is heavy as hell though, I may invest in the padded strap. Is the 'baked maple' a thing of the past now, or it just because the Lite is a custom that is has the rosewood? The classic custom is a great looking and playing guitar, would putting the 490's in it make it sound better? I dont know much about the 50'/60's neck profile thing,although I know the CC is a 60's profile and I like it a lot. I guess the reason I bought the Classic custom was because I will never be able to afford a real Custom ( I have never played a Richlite board). I think I will pass on the Lite, as much as I would love to check it out. I got my eyes set on a Firebird anyway. BTW, this forum supplies a great wealth of knowledge, thanks to all those who post.

If you like a maple and/or ebony fret board then you'll like richlite due to its density and smoothness. If you play the fret board using the thumb over technique you'll likely notice a difference between a 50's neck and 60's neck profile, and if you have small hands you'll notice it even more. If you play the fret board using the classical style with your thumb at the center of the neck you'll probably not notice much if any difference between the two neck profiles.

The LP Custom Lites were also a limited run of 250, and they seemed to get snatched up as soon as they made it into the music stores.

...Is the 'baked maple' a thing of the past now, or it just because the Lite is a custom that is has the rosewood?...

Hello Manny!

I think it's more likely the future. Since ebony is out now, and baked maple is as close as it gets to the ebony as far as feel/density is concerned. If Gibson dyed it dark black, noone would be able to tell the difference.

Rosewood, first showed up on the Maduro Brown Custom, if I am right, and keeps coming too.

Cheers... Bence

Hello Manny!

I think it's more likely the future. Since ebony is out now, and baked maple is as close as it gets to the ebony as far as feel/density is concerned. If Gibson dyed it dark black, noone would be able to tell the difference.

Rosewood, first showed up on the Maduro Brown Custom, if I am right, and keeps coming too.

Cheers... Bence

Hiya Bence,

I like the Baked Maple better and with a good oiling with Linseed oil it darkens up almost black.

I hope the torrefied maple sticks around. I love it! I wish Gibson would offer a torrefied flamed maple fret board along with a flamed maple top. I think that would just be one awesome looking LP!

I've had my CC since Dec. 2011, and here's how much the board has darkened. I change strings and lightly oil the board with Gibson's fret board conditioner every six months, but most of all I play the darn thing all the time because I just can't put it down!!! ;)

Here's the fret board prior to the first string change and conditioning:

IMG_0596.jpg

Here's what the fret board looks like now:

IMG_1039_zps69bd30ef.jpg

Mine looks about the same now I love my Custom Classic best Les Paul Custom I ever owned.

I had an early 80s cherry sunburst it was a great guitar but I hated that cherry sunburst I got it in like 89

I got new a 99 white Custom that my top Jim Dunlop Strap Lock gave way and it hit a carpeted concrete floor and cracked peghead slightly at nut, I had it fixed then sold it.

My new Custom Classic popped twice at same place on a new set and I switched to grover strap locks they are better like schallers.

I think its the angle and weight at top strap pin. Luckily I caught it by neck both times as I was more aware of it and but was on a a raw concrete floor.

What I like most about the Custom Classic is no binding on the back side and the 60s neck.

Didnt you just get a really nice Tobacco Sunburst Custom also JM2112?

That sucks that your strap locks were giving out on you. I would have cried like a baby to see that Custom hit the floor, then I would have gone 180 degrees and flown into a rage like the Incredible Hulk. Glad you were able to catch your CC before it got that far.

Yeah, I picked up a Custom that Gibson did for Sweetwater in faded tobacco burst. I only play it occasionally, and I play it sitting down to be on the safe side. :)

941479_3053357829678_1489996282_n.jpg

321382_3053384550346_1365946107_n.jpg

Here they both are really just cosmetics knobs toggle knobs the one on Custom Classic was to white it got a cream an black with chrome 70s knobs.

I did change bridge pickup in Classic Custom for a 498t factory 2 conductor uncovered them also.

Custom sounds so wicked cool.

Absolutely awesome!!! [thumbup][thumbup]

But its a thinner model though right?

nope it's exactly like any other les paul, the "lite" is they used a 3rd type of wood in the back to lighten the weight a bit, if I hadn't told you it was a lite you'd have no way of telling

34e9cuo.jpg

So I take it your diggin it then? the rumors are true about the tone wood then?

very much so, with the pickups it has a bite that will cut thru anything, notes are distinctive and articulate and well defined and it gives this higher pinch harmonic range that I'd not seen in other LP's

I think I'm going to trade it off tho.

I'm too used to the tone of my LP's so if anyone wants this grab fast because it won't last long they are getting very rare in this condition...

TwangGang,

The Custom Lite has special controls, with only one tone control and a button for coil splitting. Can you share with us how you feel about those features?

Honestly I miss the traditional two volume two tone control set up. Having played LPs for over 40 years I grew acoustomed to setting each tone and volume so that I could get a certain sound in the middle pickup position. The Lite you can of course still adjust the volumes, but the tone from each pup must be set the same. I am getting used to the coil switch, and have found some uses for the tone that it gives, but when you use it you lose quite a bit of volume, so have to compensate for that.

I guess it is what you get used to and I prefer the traditional set up. However the Lite still gives a good LP tone overall, and the weight was the primary reason for me to get one. In my case the advantage of less weight won out over the lack of tone controls. Plus I figure if I find I almost never use the coil tap, I could have the ciruit modded to get a second tone control put in and even if that costs me a couple hundred bucks I'm still way ahead since the Lite was very inexpensive.

If you are young and strong and can handle the weight - you will be happier with a Classic Custom, they are really great guitars and great value. I just needed something lighter and am very pleased to have the Lite in spite of the tone trade off. The neck pup alone or bridge alone are fine, it's just when you want to go to the middle position you lose some flexibility.

Those Grover strap locks are the bomb digity no drops there they the ones Slash uses

Im sitting here playing Signature now Wife went to work lol

Donny,

I have never had a strap lock fail, and never paid much attention to what brand they were, but I knew which type I liked and always bought the same ones for my guitars. Just looked at the packages (where I keep the original strap buttons, in case I trade the guitar in I change them back) and guess what............they are all Schallers!!

Archived