Gibson Brands Forums

Installing non quick connect to quick connect board

tomatoes72

I just bought a LPJ a couple of months ago, but wasnt crazy about the black pickup covers but the Guitar was a great deal and sounded great too so I bought it thinking I could just swap out the pickup covers later. Wrong...covers are part of the pickup assembly. No problem, I picked up a couple of gibson 498t/490r with chrome covers off ebay for cheap but found out that the LPJ has the quick connects when I went to install. Gibson is making it really hard to customize this guitar. I've read several posts about connecting non quick connect to quick connect, but no one really shows you how to do it. Does anyone have any experience doing this? The quick connect has 4 wires and the lead only has one. Can I just solder the lead to the volume pot lug like normal and bypass the quick connect altogether?

You should be able to. You can also buy the Molex connector to wire the pickup using the quick connect board.

Personally, I'd rip it all out and go traditional wiring. If someone wants the guitar stock if you resell, you would have everything to drop back in.

The quick connect has 4 wires and the lead only has one.

This statement alone tells me this is NOT something you should even think about doing yourself. Take it to a reputable local guitar "technician"!

• 1 month later...

Gonna hijack this thread on the same topic which I posted in another forum thread. But the Dirty Fingers pup has a 2 pin connection. I have a 2012 Les Paul Studio I want to swap the 498T with the Dirty Fingers but my PCB board is a 3 pin connection. I can't find any adapters anywhere and I'm honestly super frustrated. I had to send a pup back because it didn't have the connector on it and a new one is going to be sent to me but it only has 2 pin so that's on hold. I'm sick of this shipping and waiting for all of this. I can't get a straight answer from anyone I even called gibson and talked to someone that knew nothing of what's going on. Sent me to the site to find the connectors and adapters and there is nothing on their site. One of their own employee's. this is super ridiculous. Can anyone give me a straight answer?

• 7 months later...

I own a 2013 Gibson Les Paul studio with push/pull volume pots that split the humbuckers.The humbuckers are the 490 and the 498t with the quick connect clips(looks like 5 wire molex clip) at the end of the pickup ends.Would anyone know the correct 5 wire molex clip to purchase and to add the clip to a non-quick connect pickup.(Dimarzio Super Distortion)Thanks......

I own a 2013 Gibson Les Paul studio with push/pull volume pots that split the humbuckers.The humbuckers are the 490 and the 498t with the quick connect clips(looks like 5 wire molex clip) at the end of the pickup ends.Would anyone know the correct 5 wire molex clip to purchase and to add the clip to a non-quick connect pickup.(Dimarzio Super Distortion)Thanks......

The part numbers for the Molex connectors that I found are,

538-43645-0200 for the 2 pin

and

538-43645-0500 for the 5 pin.

But you might want to double check those numbers before you order any to make sure they are the ones you're looking for. I never ordered any and when I researched them I was looking for ones to fit a 2008 Studio without the push pull pots.

• 1 year later...

Reverse Quick-Connect adapters:

For anyone who may be interested I have made a few pairs of "reverse" quick-connect 4-conductor (5-wire) adapters. These work with Gibson 4-conductor (5-wire) quick-connect pickups, like the '57 Classics I have, and can be used to connect your quick-connect pickups to a conventional harness without having to clip off the ends of your quick-connect pups. Just connect your quick-connect plug into the adapter, and solder the adapter wires as you would normally (standard wiring, coil-tap, phase, series/parallel, etc).

I have them on ebay right now, but if you see this post loooong after the listing ends and are interested in a pair, just send me a message thru the forum. I can even make you a custom color-coded set to match your DiMarzio, Seymour Duncan, or other pickup manufacturer.

Thx

gibson-reverse-quick-connect-2.jpg

gibson-reverse-quick-connect-1.jpg

gibson-reverse-quick-connect-3.jpg

gibson-reverse-quick-connect-4.jpg

gibson-reverse-quick-connect-5.jpg

gibson-reverse-quick-connect-6.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Tried doing this myself and, well, yeah...not happy with my results. Pickups seem out of phase. Volume drop at middle position. Feel like I should just gut the guitar and start from scratch or find a way to reverse and put the circuit board back in. Either way, it's unstageable in my opinion at this point. So much easier changing out my strat pickups. These seemingly come as a working set or nothing at all.