Gibson Brands Forums

Tribute to the 70's...

daveinspain

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1369079310[/url]' post='1377195']

Guess you never got into Zeppelin or Hendrix or The Doors, Yes, The Who, Super tramp, Jethro Tull, King Crimson, Boston, Kansas, Areosmith...etc

Zepplin, Hendrix, The Doors, The Who, Jethro Tull, were all artist of the 60s, some of them held on through the 70s. Which brings us the question, are the Stones a 60s band, a 70s band, a 80s band, a 90s band or what?

Do you really care what a "guitar hero" has to say about anything? I form my own opinions and always recommend that others do the same.

You obviously did no read my post. I clearly state that I like the music of the 70s and included examples such as ABBA and the Carpenters.

If I mention the guitar hero it is because that professional muscician has an opinion of the time being discussed herein, a time when he was making music and being influential and being influenced and I found the statement surprising coming from him.

Wow what a trip down memory lane,some great rock some not so great(Disco), before I forget a thanks to RABS for the Banana Splits Tune.I graduated from high school in 1977 so that puts me in the perfect time frame for the 70's remembrance.My favorite was buying some seriously high performance cars extremly cheap,remember no gas.Seemed no one cared about the late 60's muscle cars to the early 70,s hugely fast big motor cars/autos not the band,I was seriously digging Zep,Sabbith,Thin Lizzy and just about everybody on Don Kirshners rock concert.Gotta remember the serious babe's from the 70's also,heres a few from youtube.

Well... for what it's worth, I was playing variations on "country" throughout the '70s because it paid and rock didn't where I lived. That and "old time" for U.S. Bicentennial activities.

The guitars used were a combination of '50s types, excluding the "new acoustic electric" potential of early Ovation AEs.

Perhaps since I was a bit older than some and in a bit less urban environment, the drug thing was considered more or less an aberration rather than common among grownups. Then again, likely the music we did in saloons reflected the time and place of people my pre-baby-boom age and older.

m

I used to sub playing either bass or guitar for a couple of party bands doing gig's like wedding's,barmitsfers,the monthly VFW dance.Your right finding places to play was getting harder to find with some sequened dude with 2 turntables charging less.When I did play out at a party I remember making $75.00 for 4 hours work,including dinner,breaks and sometimes open bar.

FREE

Koss and Rogers....what a team.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ny7vW6dgnUY

....But I wasn't born til 76, and all I really remember were my red cordouroy flares and my mums Nana Maskouri and ABBA records, my Raleigh bike with metal rods instead of cables for the brakes, my dads sideburns, and...

THIS ABOMINATION.

Austin allegro estate..ours was rusty round the wheel arches and made us all puke because the ride was all wallowy.

austin-allegro-estate-04.jpg

I think the first time I really heard a Hard rock song I was in the 6th grade. My brother and a friend of his and myself were at his friends house ( right next door to ours) getting stoned and they put on Black dog , and then rock and roll by Zep and then they put on Kiss Alive and Strutter came on and I was hooked on Kiss for the next 5 or 6 years, that was 1975

Damn Donny, you went old school on the pictures, the knicker knockers bring back some memories, so does the power hitter, could burn a doobie in no time with one of those, had to watch out for the fire coming out of it when the doobie got low, plenty of burned lips and toungues with that thing, fond memories

KISS owned the 70s most people don't wanna admit it but they ruled it.

They sure did!

I think the Alive! record alone belongs right up there with Are You Experienced? and Zeppelin II, etc, when it comes to making an impressionable teenager (or pre-teen) wanna pick up a guitar and play in a band.

Don't forget Frampton Comes Alive!

51qHlOBGE9L.jpg

l.jpg

tumblr_l8n40wfnTp1qc7jcao1_500.jpg

onemorefromtheroad.jpg

These albums were pretty much my whole world in 8th grade [thumbup] They hold up surprisingly well today unlike some of the stuff my peers were listening too (cough) Disco Bee Gees for instance.

I was probably playing K155 songs in bands before you were born. It doesn't matter what you and the All Volunteer Army says, they didn't own any more of the 70s than any other pop band of the 70s did. And if you use record sales, you and all the other Army recruits will have to figure out how to deny a whole bunch of other acts that absolutely dominated the 70s too, acts that surely were never heard in yer barracks.

Carry on brutha, love them all you want, but do try to remember there were literally metric tonnes of people that really didn't all that much care for or about Kiss, even back then. I played entire months, Thursday through Sunday nights, weeks and weeks on end without even so much as being asked for R&RAN&PED, even when that was an actual hit. It just wasn't as much a Kiss FapFest as some folks would like some folks to believe, sorry to say.

rct

Oh yes they did and they still do you were just in denial my friend lol.

They were the single hugest band of the 70s period they're albums shipped double platinum.

They sold out every hall every t shirt every LP and 8 track.

People have tried to erase it forget it and its just not possible because still to this date their Army will not let anyone forget it.

They owned the 70s they're iconic logo and Gene Simmons face became the number 3 icon of the world only under that of Mickey Mouse and Superman

Love them or Hate you knew who they were and they made sure of it.

Because every kid in every town had they're T Shirt Lunch Box Belt Buckle LP 8 Track Doll Poster and Book.

Only band they cant beat in total album sales is The Beatles.

But in total merchandise and gross capitol KISS born in1973 reigned supreme by 1977.

Many since have tried to do what they did and have fallen short..

Slipknot and kOrN have tried to invade the halls of the schools and own the children and get into their parents wallets but KISS is the champions.

The Kings of the night time world if you will..

They did what everyone of us wish we could do... SELLOUT.

They were the second Fab Four.

Kiss-Destroyer_(Remastered)-Frontal.jpg

The most laughable post I've ever read here. Thanks for the laugh Donny!!!

You probably missed that they're latest CD Monster topped Billboards charts of Hardrock albums at #1 Oct 27th 2012

Did you miss that they currently have a Kiss Kruise lines?

How about the Kiss Koffee houses?

Maybe the Kiss Miniature Golf courses in Vegas or the Kiss Hotter Than Hell Wedding Chapels?

That magic they're for Sabbath? Zeppelin? Skynyrd? Frampton? Anyone else?

Come on brotha I don't really need to verify that empire to you do I?

I rest my case bro as far as what KISS means to me and I saw them on the Hotter than Hell tour for $4.50.

Saw them again the next year, "meh" same as the tour before. Since then, they've been nothing more than comic book characters/money machine to me.

Saw Sabbath twice. 1st at Cal Jam. 2nd at Long Beach Arena.

Zep, saw 'em in 77 at The Forum. Best concert ever.

Skynyrd, saw them on the tour before the tragic plane crash.

Saw Humble Pie, but never saw Frampton solo.

Gee guys, be careful.

This ain't half as much fun as the two threads already removed from the Lounge, so...

<grin>

All kidding aside, as I noted above, I was playing different material for money in the '70s, so honestly I listened to almost none of the more "hard" rock material of the decade.

m

Archived