Gibson Brands Forums

Tribute to the 70's...

daveinspain

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whats that mean?

It's a rather clever 70's reference. [thumbup]

Jumping the shark is an idiom created by Jon Hein that was used to describe the moment in the evolution of a television show when it begins a decline in quality that is beyond recovery, which is usually a particular scene, episode, or aspect of a show in which the writers use some type of "gimmick" in a desperate attempt to keep viewers' interest.

The usage of "jump the shark" has subsequently broadened beyond television, indicating the moment when a brand, design, or creative effort's evolution loses the essential qualities that initially defined its success and declines, ultimately, into irrelevance.

You know I noticed a couple people posting Happy Days stuff I loved that show but never realized what it meant to my parents until my kids and I watched That 70s Show.

Yeah. I recall there was quite a bit of 1950s nostalgia in the 1970s. :-k Happy Days and Grease being the 2 most obvious. I remember a certain 50s greaser style or look that a lot of guys went for in the 70s.

Ah, the 70s. 1972 I got back after two years in Kenya with the Peace Corps. Amazing I survived, what with hitchhiking through lion country and camping with hippos.

Then somehow I hooked up with and toured with Bobby Boris Pickett for a 10-year anniversary of The Monster Mash, along with guitarist Brian Ray, who now plays with McCartney on occasion. Yep, them were some crazy times!

Much of my free time in the '70s was spent cycling. I was in a cycle-touring club and two racing clubs.

In fact during the cycling season the only day not partly spent in the saddle was Monday (badminton night).

The most successful domestic Pro team at the time were the Holdsworth-Campagnolo boys.

As a youngster, every week I'd read about their exploits in 'Cycling Weekly' and dreamed of having a top-flight bike.

Come Xmas '76 and my parents gave me a Holdsworth Professional frame. Exactly the same frame as the team used.

Over the next year I saved all the money I could and, with extras from holiday jobs and birthdays etc, eventually managed to kit it out with the full Campag Record Groupset.

Here's the speil about the frame from Norman Kilgariff's site on the marque and, below it, a period snap of my own bike.

I love the bit where it says the pro team found the '76 frames to be too twitchy. It handles like a squirrel on speed.

This is the team which (as it says in the panel) had completed a hat-trick of British Road Race victories in '74, '75, '76 but even they found the '76 frame-geometry too extreme. I can empathise!...

I still use it almost daily. In fact I was on it about 30 mins ago.

1976HoldsorthProcomp_zpsddc0d8d1.jpg

P.

Love it. Seen it countless times. Quote from it frequently... "be a lot cooler if you did"

It's a blast but also a bit painful to watch because it was exactly like my early high school years - cliches included: same dudes, same girls, same cars, same songs.

• 1 month later...

I was born in '73, but I remember vividly Saturday mornings when my Dad would blast The Eagles or The Guess Who or Sugarloaf on the stereo and me and my older sister would dance around. After breakfast, we would go to South Philly to visit my Grandmom. James Taylor's "Handy Man" reminds me of the rides in the back seat of my Mom's '68 four door Nova.

Archived