Gibson Brands Forums

Epi pr5e

Hey, I've had this guitar probably 15 years from new, and just doing some restoration on it as it's sentimental.. But I'm seems slightly different to other pr5e I have seen, the label and the headstock badge most notably, is it just an older version? And is it all laminate does anybody know? Thanks

20130504_170428_zpsa54ea7af.jpg

20130504_170940_zps22ac50a2.jpg

20130504_170358_zps1f44439a.jpg

Your PR-5E is an early model guitar. Production began in 1990. Yours was made before the headstock redesign, which occured in approximately 1998. The more recent Epiphone logos are now in a more scripted style as well. As for the label, I cannot say what the differences are between yours and newer models, but what ever the they maybe, it is definitely attributed to being an earlier version of this guitar.

I have a recent version.

I'd also be certain that there would be differences in the electronics which isn't mentioned.

Mine is all laminates. With my 9-42s, it sounds a little boxy acoustic but as good as any guitar I've heard when run through a board or proper amp setup - at least how I play as a light-handed fingerpicker with light strings.

I did notice too that there seems to be a lot more interior glue and obvious grain in yours. Dunno if the glue is new.

In ways, I've a hunch that a case could be made that other than basic shape and construction that this is a rather different guitar regardless whether all laminate or not.

For what it's worth, though, there's something about the proportions of my guitar that forces the poor little thing to almost play itself to assist my sometime fumbling fingers, which it does quite nicely. I wouldn't swap it for any other AE in that general "type" regardless of a price tag three or four times that of the PR5e. It's the least expensive of my AEs (all my flattops are AE), yet gets the most attention by a factor of 10.

m

Thanks, my dad got me it for my 16 th, and Yeh that's why I've kept it, is a very small body but so easy to throw around for general practice , I've since upgraded to a martin drs1 but i still keep coming back to it, it's so comfortable to play.. . It does sound a bit boxy so I've put some bone pins in it and I'm gonna replace the saddle with a bone one.

It will never boom like a full size dread, but i don't think I could ever get rid of it.

Matty...

Yeah, all my other AEs are dreads or equivalent (an old original '70s Ovation Electric Legend, and excluding a similar nylon Ovation Country Artist of that era). They're fine for a bluegrass jam, but for general playing as I do... that silly inexpensive little Epi seems to get all the playing time.

m

Archived