Gibson Brands Forums

Another boring string post...

Triumph1050

A plug ffor some srings here...

Im trying out several different strings in various gauges to see what works well with my new J-45. Strings that i havent ever tried before on any guitars of mine.

First up, and well see how they last are the Dean Markley Alchemys in light gauge. I gotta tell ya im really impressed with these coated strings. they play very confotable and the tone is RICH. They sound unlike anything ive used before. Ive always favored Daddario lights or mediums and i had a new set on this guitar but the Alchemys soundbmuch better to me. Ill leave them on a week or so then onto the Martin Lifespans and John Pearses that ive never tried either

I personally love string posts. I think strings can make a guitar sing. Now I know many will jump up and say that only playing the guitar often can make it sing, or its not the strings it's the player. I posted a string post in the past and the helpful tips were great and I ignored the sarcastic ones. I look forward to reading your thoughts in a week or so. If you still love the strings I will try a set on my aj,

Not boring at all, in fact I like hearing about what strings people are using. I just strung my J-35 up with some John Pearse 600L's and I am very impressed with the sound and feel of them.

I'm a big fan of Curt Mangan strings, but I gotta admit - the Martin Lifespans have a home on the Jackson Browne and the Southern Jumbo - they both have the Trance Audio pickups, and they really do cut own on string screech. They last a long time too. 80/20s. Mediums. The J-45 still gets the Curt Mangan, Light, 80/20s - love it. I remember trying the Alchemy strings quite a few years ago, but they felt rough, though they sounded terrific. It'll be intesting to see what strings your J-45 chooses.

I been trying various strings on my Martin D42 Mad/Adi guitar...

Have recently tried :

*Tomastik Infeld Spectrum 12-54 ( Less volume/average sounding at first, dull/dead after a week..a real over priced con/avoid these)

*DR Rare 12-54 (not impressed at all.. feels stiffer than the EXP & Elixir in similar gauge)

*Newtone Master Class Ph.Br 12-53/ 12-54/ 11-50...(Average mellower sound..round core does not feel anymore flexible as some say..I'm not Impressed)

*Elixir Nano 12-53 80/20 (Didn't like them)

*Elixir Nano 12-53 Ph Br ( Nothing special on Martin but pretty decent on my others)

So far better ones were..

*EXP Ph Br 12-53 (Pretty Good over all but very Brassy and stays that way)

*Ernie Ball Super Slinky Ph.Br 11-52( So far these are the best ones but gauge probably has something to do with it)

Still looking,I have on order..

*E.Ball 80-/20 Earthwounds 11-52

*Elixir Nano Ph Br 11-52

*Pyramid Acoustic Ph.Bronze 12-54

And the ones Im most interested in.

*Pyramid Silver Plated Copper 11-50

In the end it just might be Ive had enough of the "Martin sound"...at least the new ones.

Either way unless I one day have money to throw away Ill never buy a Martin again.

Have to say I agree with pretty much all of your assesments which is petty rare as strings are so individual. (except Elixirs, hate em')

Will be interested what you think of the Pyramids, Ive hit the jackpot with them and now they are on all my mahogany guitars in the stable.

And Triumph, string experimentation is fun and cheap, and rewarding when you come across the ones that make one sound even better than other strings ... :-)

I been trying various strings on my Martin D42 Mad/Adi guitar...

Have recently tried :

*Tomastik Infeld Spectrum 12-54 ( Less volume/average sounding at first, dull/dead after a week..a real over priced con/avoid these)

*DR Rare 12-54 (not impressed at all.. feels stiffer than the EXP & Elixir in similar gauge)

*Newtone Master Class Ph.Br 12-53/ 12-54/ 11-50...(Average mellower sound..round core does not feel anymore flexible as some say..I'm not Impressed)

*Elixir Nano 12-53 80/20 (Didn't like them)

*Elixir Nano 12-53 Ph Br ( Nothing special on Martin but pretty decent on my others)

So far better ones were..

*EXP Ph Br 12-53 (Pretty Good over all but very Brassy and stays that way)

*Ernie Ball Super Slinky Ph.Br 11-52( So far these are the best ones but gauge probably has something to do with it)

Still looking,I have on order..

*E.Ball 80-/20 Earthwounds 11-52

*Elixir Nano Ph Br 11-52

*Pyramid Acoustic Ph.Bronze 12-54

And the ones Im most interested in.

*Pyramid Silver Plated Copper 11-50

In the end it just might be Ive had enough of the "Martin sound"...at least the new ones.

Either way unless I one day have money to throw away Ill never buy a Martin again.

Well I just had an hour long jam session with some buddies with these new Dean Markley Alchemy's on and Dan nailed it as far these strings.

They are ROUGH... my fingers are actually sore which is rare.

But...the tone...on this guitar...is exquisite. We'll give them a couple weeks then onto the next set.

Pyramids? Never heard of 'em. Ill add them to the stack to try.

Well I just had an hour long jam session with some buddies with these new Dean Markley Alchemy's on and Dan nailed it as far these strings.

They are ROUGH... my fingers are actually sore which is rare.

But...the tone...on this guitar...is exquisite. We'll give them a couple weeks then onto the next set.

Pyramids? Never heard of 'em. Ill add them to the stack to try.

They are the Beatles strings. Made in Germany.

Pyramid strings are great. John Pearse are really good, but I find that they go dead too quickly. I have been trying to find strings that last a long time, and I don't like the feeling of coated strings, so lately I have been using the Martin Lifespan SPs. I think I am going to stick with these for a while. I have them on three guitars right now. 80/20s on the AJ, PBs on the J-45 and another guitar.

Well I just ordered some Rotosound super bronze and some Pyramids. This is a lifetime Grail guitar for me so I'm going to methodically work my way through most every string.

I am going with lights on all these for testing because I think I'm going to stick with them. I switched a few years ago I have tried to go back to mediums because I do love the volume and sound but I just really prefer the feel of the lights and they actually sound really good on this J 45

After a similar string I tried different strings and settled on Martin MSP6100 SP Lifespan 80/20 Bronze. They are easy on my fingers and give a nice sound highlighting the highs and lows in my aj. After hearing many of you talk about pyramid strings I may also look into those.

Pyramid strings are great. John Pearse are really good, but I find that they go dead too quickly. I have been trying to find strings that last a long time, and I don't like the feeling of coated strings, so lately I have been using the Martin Lifespan SPs. I think I am going to stick with these for a while. I have them on three guitars right now. 80/20s on the AJ, PBs on the J-45 and another guitar.

If I were looking for another coated string the Ernie Ball coated would be one Id try.

Triumph.

Let me know how those Rotosounds work out. I've only started using my old acoustic again and I'm still using my Martin Marquis strings on it. I've used the Rotosounds on my electrics for years and I am quite interested to hear what you think of their acoustic SB's. By the way, I've got a set of Rotosounds on my Ace Frehley Les Paul that have been on there since June of 2012 and they are STILL as chimey and full of life as the first week they were on there -If THAT says anything about their longevity.

Bobby

Have to say I agree with pretty much all of your assesments which is petty rare as strings are so individual. (except Elixirs, hate em')

Will be interested what you think of the Pyramids, Ive hit the jackpot with them and now they are on all my mahogany guitars in the stable.

And Triumph, string experimentation is fun and cheap, and rewarding when you come across the ones that make one sound even better than other strings ... :-)

EA

Concerning Elixirs..

Are you sure you tried the Nano version,cause it's very nearly no coating on them?

Today took off those Newtone Master Class Ph.Br. from the Lowden guitar (Medium Sized Adi/Braz/Short Scale) for a set of 80/20 Elixir Nano.

This is the first time Ive used these strings as guys here have recommended the 80/20 species.

I put them on my Martin D (Adi/Mad.Rosewood) a while back, but took them right off.

So now I reinstalled them replacing Newtones.

The Newtones 12-52 felt stiff and more massy and sounded average...

The 80/20 Elixir Nano..feel so much more flexible that I gotta wonder are these actually thinner strings?

And they just sound spiritual on that guitar.

So far on that Lowden..the EXP Ph Br really sucked..Newtones Master Class Ph Br sucked..and Elixir Nano Ph Br which is what comes on that guitar were a bit hyper/strange sounding, but so far best.

But right now, these 80/20 sound like what real guitar strings should sound & feel like.

If this is not an illusion and they hold up, I think a set 12-53 with replaced two thin strings for 11/15 would be a perfect set.

The Pyramid Ph Br Acoustic Strings will have a hard one to beat against those or Ill just go straight on to the H&D Slope.

The guy at Strings By Mail said those Pyramid are ones he uses as well....and are a cut above most others, and "have personality"

The Pyramid Silver/Copper 11-50 are going to Martin D....after those then the Earthwound E.Ball 80/20's 11-52.

Yes--lately I've been back to round core. Apparently in my dotage I've slipped back to liking the old fashioned feel and sound. (Funny, I remember when hex core was the new must have. I also recall switching from nickle to PB.)

But if you didn't like Newtones, you may not like the Pyramids. Give em a shot on your slope.

Archived