Gibson Brands Forums

Another boring string post...

Triumph1050

EA

Concerning Elixirs..

Are you sure you tried the Nano version,cause it's very nearly no coating on them?

Ive only tried the Nanos, in PB and 80/20 forms but I have a fundamental issue with the overall tone of Elixirs. They sound just too metallic to my ears.

However the Pyramids really do have a lot of personality, and at 3 euro a packet locally its a winner all the way !

What about playing style? Using picks vs fingerstyle.

We do not have a big range here, but so far I like Elixir Nano 12-53, 80/20 bronze. I play fingerstyle. Just seems to liven up the J-200 a bit (for me. I guess it's also a personal thing).

Ronnie.

PYRAMID SILVER PLATED ACOUSTIC GUITAR STRINGS..early review

Well for those wanting a nice sounding mellow string the Pyramid Silver Plated copper are really nice(306-100 / .011-.050

I put them on a Martin D Adi/Mad.

Very very nice for flat pick strumming,no metallic sound except for 2 plain ones. Nice and toney.

For flat picking lead playing...the wound strings have a bit of the thump thump of flat wound jazz strings..which for me is not responsive enough.

Want some good sounding strings that do not sound metallic try these.

They are flexible but finish is not acid washed so not as smooth as others. Silver looks great though.

Im gonna order a little heavier set to try on Lowden just to see how it responds with these..but I like ping bright sound usually, and those 80/20 Elixir Nano are super flexible.

Youre putting on 11's on a Martin dread ... ??

PYRAMID SILVER PLATED ACOUSTIC GUITAR STRINGS..early review

Well for those wanting a nice sounding mellow string the Pyramid Silver Plated copper are really nice(306-100 / .011-.050

I put them on a Martin D Adi/Mad.

Very very nice for flat pick strumming,no metallic sound except for 2 plain ones. Nice and toney.

For flat picking lead playing...the wound strings have a bit of the thump thump of flat wound jazz strings..which for me is not responsive enough.

Want some good sounding strings that do not sound metallic try these.

They are flexible but finish is not acid washed so not as smooth as others. Silver looks great though.

Im gonna order a little heavier set to try on Lowden just to see how it responds with these..but I like ping bright sound usually, and those 80/20 Elixir Nano are super flexible.

Youre putting on 11's on a Martin dread ... ??

The Lowden service guy said the same thing..light strings on an acoustic..but when he saw me play he say's, oh..but if your gonna be playing it like that..(like an electric guitar)

In the end it will probably end up with 11-52.

When I ordered this Martin it was a Custom Shop thing, an appointment was made with rep and I gave my specs to him in person.

One of my requests was that the top be made very responsive to light strings.

In the end top seems to vibrate less freely with the higher gauges.

Anyway the guitar is a strummers guitar with a nice rumble to the bass but for playing scales and notes..dispite a perfect V neck..me and she no match'e

I have 12-53 on Lowden,H&D & J200 though I may begin ordering 15/11 singles and make the sets 11-53.

@Mersey, I purchased a set of Ernie Ball Everlast PB coated strings, 11-52 gauge. So far the best strings I've used on my Martin HD28. Haven't tried them on my Gibby's. Also, they're not cheap!

@Euro, 11's no good for a Martin? Please elaborate?

It's all a learning experience.

Teer

btw, put a set of Ernie Ball Slinkys 9-42 Cobalt on my LP Trad. I quite like them.

mersey i'd love to hear a soundbite of you and your guitars

( and what's a 'lowden service guy' ? )

Lowden authorized repair guy.

I'll have to learn how to do it.(Record)

I got a AKG 414XLS Microphone to record with 1 1/2 year ago and still havent used it nor know what to plug it into.

I am lazy,especially when things get complicated.

Maybe your request will motivate me. : )

@Mersey, I purchased a set of Ernie Ball Everlast PB coated strings, 11-52 gauge. So far the best strings I've used on my Martin HD28. Haven't tried them on my Gibby's. Also, they're not cheap!

@Euro, 11's no good for a Martin? Please elaborate?

It's all a learning experience.

Teer

btw, put a set of Ernie Ball Slinkys 9-42 Cobalt on my LP Trad. I quite like them.

The Ernie Ball's seem like they go hand in glove with Martin.A good match.

Archived