Gibson Brands Forums

Wiring ES335 through F holes or Bridge hole?

Mutato

Hi,

I want to replace the wiring in my 1984 ES335 Dot. I think the tone is a little muddy, possibly due to it might be equipped with 300K Pots versus the 500K pots. Also, the pots are a little scratchy. Anyway, I looked online at Youtube and all the videos show installs all done via the F hole. But these were all on ES335 copies. I heard that the ES335 has an access hole in the Bridge pickup cavity. Is this true and is it used for doing a wiring install like this?

Thanks.

http://www.mojotone.com/guitar-parts/guitar-wiring-kits-gibson-style/ES-335-Style-3-Way-Guitar-Wiring-Harness-Kit#.UZpzxoI1Hbs

BTW, I called Mojotone and they could not help. They assumed it was through the F hole.

Hi,

I want to replace the wiring in my 1984 ES335 Dot. I think the tone is a little muddy, possibly due to it might be equipped with 300K Pots versus the 500K pots. Also, the pots are a little scratchy. Anyway, I looked online at Youtube and all the videos show installs all done via the F hole. But these were all on ES335 copies. I heard that the ES335 has an access hole in the Bridge pickup cavity. Is this true and is it used for doing a wiring install like this?

Thanks.

http://www.mojotone.com/guitar-parts/guitar-wiring-kits-gibson-style/ES-335-Style-3-Way-Guitar-Wiring-Harness-Kit#.UZpzxoI1Hbs

BTW, I called Mojotone and they could not help. They assumed it was through the F hole.

The stuff all goes in through the bridge pickup cavity and then you stick your fingers thru the f holes to work the stuff into place. Here's a 339.

DSC_0018_zps171df270.jpgDSC_0020_zps53ebd65b.jpgDSC_0021_zps0fc4f1c6.jpg

The stuff all goes in through the bridge pickup cavity and then you stick your fingers thru the f holes to work the stuff into place. Here's a 339.

DSC_0018_zps171df270.jpgDSC_0020_zps53ebd65b.jpgDSC_0021_zps0fc4f1c6.jpg

This is great info. And even better with your photos! I'm pretty handy with guitars, but doing the ES335 wiring is daunting due to it's design (versus my Strats). Is there an order in which you stuff the electronics in first?

This is great info. And even better with your photos! I'm pretty handy with guitars, but doing the ES335 wiring is daunting due to it's design (versus my Strats). Is there an order in which you stuff the electronics in first?

The jack goes in first - using a coat hanger wire to pull it through works well. Then the tone controls go in - still pulling a little on the jack. You can use tubing on the tone controls to pull them toward the correct holes. You have to wiggle the whole harness around as you push it in to make sure it's all in the correct shape with all the wires in the right places. You have to pull here and there on the harness as it goes in to make sure it's in the right place.

As you pull on the jack and the tone controls the volume controls and switch go in. And finally the bridge pickup. You should be able to tease the controls onto their correct positions. A hooked piece of wire or some kind of dental pick tool helps to grab stuff through the holes and push it around. If you have tubing or strings on the controls, you should be able to pull them right into the holes. Controls without any tubing or string will have to be pushed and/or wiggled into place.

[thumbup]

I will most likely go for the standard prewired kit, but I noticed this "premium" kit by Mojo Supply as well. Any real difference in these CTS pots versus these premium pots?

Bourns Model 95 Premium guitar potentiometers:

http://www.mojotone.com/guitar-parts/guitar-wiring-kits-gibson-style/ES-335-Style-3-Way-PREMIUM-Guitar-Wiring-Harness-Kit#.UZ0wNOs1Hbs

Hi,

Thanks.

The is what you need, been there and done it.

• Upvote 1

Thanks you so much for linking. I googled and searched on YouTube and could NOT find any wiring for actual ES335. All were for ES copies and thus going through the F-holes for wiring.

Hi - I replaced the harness in my '86 ES335 with one made by Brown Custom Shop (no affiliation, just a satisfied customer). http://bcsguitars.com/?page_id=19

Used the YouTube videos from RS Guitarworks to get a feel for the project. Took everything out of the access cut in the center block (through the bridge pick up cavity) put everything back in the same way. The cut in the center block was large enough to make that part of the job relatively easy. Also, I had Bill Brown add some long leads to the volume pots so I soldered those leads to the pick up wires (charged an extra $2.00 for that option). I didn't have to solder the pick up leads to the pots, had more than enough wire to work with and can now change pick ups (if I ever want to do that) without pulling the harness.

Oh, by the way, I couldn't remove the pots through the F-holes even if I wanted to because Gibson used Les Paul-length volume pots when assembling the original harness - the shafts were too long to get the pots through the holes! The person who did the assembly also put an extra nut on the volume pot shafts to regulate how much of the shaft came out of the guitar top (see below).

Anyway, the harness replacement is a bit time consuming but not impossible or extremely difficult if you are handy and have basic soldering skills - and the results are impressive. Good luck. Ed

DSC02445.jpg

Hey - I just noticed that Bill is offering the ES335 kit at $10 off the regular price. He does that from time to time. Direct orders from his website are less expensive than off eBay - again, Bill is a good guy, very responsive to e-mail questions and any options you might want. Check it out. Ed

Hey - I just noticed that Bill is offering the ES335 kit at $10 off the regular price. He does that from time to time. Direct orders from his website are less expensive than off eBay - again, Bill is a good guy, very responsive to e-mail questions and any options you might want. Check it out. Ed

I just ordered from him! Thanks for the info. Can't wait to do the job!

THANKS roadhog [thumbup]

got all the parts to upgrade my Sheraton with new pots/caps/wire/switch/jack, already had the Gibson pickups :) its not my first guitar upgrade but definitely my first semi-hollowbody with f-holes so expecting i'll need a bit of luck & a LOT of patience lol

Alright listen up, here's a tip you'll thank me for when the time comes to have to clean those new pots and it will happen trust me. Position all 4 of those pots so that the opening on the the side of the pot body is facing the F hole. All you have to do is heat up the plastic spray tube that comes with the contact cleaner using a hair dryer and put a gentle bend in it. Now you'll be able to insert the spray tube for the contact cleaner through the F hole and clean all the pots without having to remove them. I stuff some paper towel into the F hole to absorb any excess contact cleaner that might run out. I also covered the body of the guitar with a towel just in case the tube falls out of the spray head to avoid getting any on the finish. I found it works best to do this with the guitar lying flat down on a table. A couple good shots of cleaner and immediately rotate the pot shafts back and fourth through there entire range of motion. In this position the carbon track and wiper get complete coverage from the contact cleaner. It would be best to do all four then repeat the procedure starting with the first one again and do a second cleaning. I've had to do a second cleaning more than once to eliminate any crackle so now I just do it as a precaution. Deoxit 5 does a nice job at cleaning, it also has a lube in it as well. If you've already installed the new wiring harness you can still reposition the pots by removing the knobs, loosen the shaft nut and twist the shaft with one hand while reaching in through the F hole with one finger and rotate it in the direction till ithe opening ts facing the F hole then snug up the nut. Helps if you have one of those small inspection mirrors. Go for it.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

I installed my new ES335 wiring harness over the weekend. Very pleased with the results. Sounds a little cleaner and brighter, with a touch less midrange. Just a nice smoother overall sound. With both pickups engaged, it has that nicer shimmer/jangle tone. This is all on the clean tones.

It's not a radical transformation. And I would not have wanted that. The biggest improvement was with both pickups on. That jangley/chimey sound. Think the intro guitar sound on Beach Boys' Surfin USA.

Hi all,

I installed my new ES335 wiring harness over the weekend. Very pleased with the results. Sounds a little cleaner and brighter, with a touch less midrange. Just a nice smoother overall sound. With both pickups engaged, it has that nicer shimmer/jangle tone. This is all on the clean tones.

It's not a radical transformation. And I would not have wanted that. The biggest improvement was with both pickups on. That jangley/chimey sound. Think the intro guitar sound on Beach Boys' Surfin USA.

I dig the Beach Boys Surfin music, always have so I know we're your coming from. Glad everything worked out OK for you.

• 6 years later...