Gibson Brands Forums

Well, with that, as long as it didn't hurt the guitar, I'm cool with it. The headstock and tuner positioning is what made me hurt inside. I understand the wrench, because those tailpieces are a ***** to track down.

Eh? I don't understand the fuss.

He hasn't done that very much irreversible to it - inlays aside. Even then I wouldn't be surprised to hear that Guild made some Thunderbirds with automotive motifs. Ford Thunderbird tie-in?

Headstock shape; tuner positioning; body-scoop at the tail are all-original. Even some of the original hardware seems to be present on the modified 'guard.

Change the 'guard and tailpiece and it could be brought back to stock if the sliders and escutcheon could be sourced/replicated.

Here's an unmolested one for comparison;

65guildtbird_zps89b33162.jpg

P.

man that is still one fugly guitar!! [omg]

Wasn't it a POS to begin with? I don't get it.

Oh, I don't know.

Actually Idon't mind it that bad at all. Quirky.

It reminds me of this a little bit;

Gre_2410508815_zpsc62cbb31.jpg

I don't know if they were any good as I haven't tried one but $600 doesn't seem too much for a reasonably rare mid-'60s Gretsch.

The one in my original post was from the Rory Gallagher collection so it might not have been such a bad guitar.

P.

Oh, I don't know.

I don't know if they were any good as I haven't tried one but $600 doesn't seem too much for a reasonably rare mid-'60s Gretsch.

The one in my original post was from the Rory Gallagher collection so it might not have been such a bad guitar.

P.

Well, the Gretsch is better proportioned...IMHO. May not be my favorite body style, still...but, it's

much nicer looking (to me) than that Guild! And, I like Guilds, generally. So...?? To each his/her own. [tongue]

CB

Oh, I don't know.

P.

Well, the Gretsch is much better proportioned...IMHO. May not be my favorite body style, still...but, it's

much nicer looking (to me) than that Guild! And, I like Guild's, generally. So...?? To each his/her own. [tongue]

CB

Zal liked it.

That said, I don't think the guitar in the OP is a Thunderbird. Jet Star maybe?

Which Zal is that? Zal Cleminson without makeup???

(EDIT : O.K. Zal Yanovsky. The Lovin' Spoonful. Google is my friend!)

And yes, you are probably right about it not being a Thunderbird after all.

I don't know much about '60s solid-bodied Guilds. My guess was based on the scooped lower section. Second time I looked at the guit in the OP I noticed the lower horn area looks different.

But I still think it's fine for $600, though. It would make an interesting project.

P.