Gibson Brands Forums

Question on LP studios

KVL

Hey Gang,

I saw a beautiful Gibson LP studio on my local craigslist. Seller says he bought it new in 04. I get the vibe that they're not to savvy about tech details of what they are selling, so I'm asking here if anyone knows.

According to my web searches, 2004 models were weight relieved, not chambered, but did certain model years/finishes come with certain pups, (57 classics, BBs, 490/498, etc) What about neck profiles, 50s/60s?

Can you guys give me a bit of background that may be unique to studios of this time 2000-2004 time period as different from newer/older studios?

Thanks!

Can you guys give me a bit of background that may be unique to studios of this time 2000-2004 time period as different from newer/older studios?

The vast majority of Studios from that period

will have the 490/498 pickup combo,

as did these three I owned in the past:

> '03 Plus in desert-burst

> '03 Swamp Ash

> '04 Blue w/brushed chrome (run of 250)

The neck profile will usually be the wider '50s,

but exact shape can vary significantly from piece to piece.

The Swamp Ash neck was much beefier than the other two,

while the Plus neck got a bit closer to a '60s profile.

From everything I saw & played at the time,

build quality in '03 seemed to be particularly high.

This is perfect, Thank you. The axe in question is a 2003 or 2004 studio, but with the larger trapezoid inlays as opposed to dots and a beautiful burst.

this is a pic of it that the seller emailed me...

sunset_burst_lp_zpsff701225.png

Got the S#... seller has the case candy, too.

According to Gibson's FAQ here it was number 579, and made 5/8/04

That fireburst really flips my switch. This thing looks near mint, but I think he's asking a lot for it. I looked on fleabay and studios are not moving well. Lots in the 750--800 price range that are not moving. It's not even a reserve thing... they're not getting bids at those prices.

I know it's a loaded question, but what do you estimate would be a reasonable offer?

Archived