Gibson Brands Forums

I Shoulda Known....

My son has played drums for 20+ years, has impeccable timing, he got that way practicing with a metronome.

personally I don't really see this as a negative. am I missing something?

No, it's just that this isn't drumming practice. This is band rehearsal. We don't use a metronome during band rehearsal.

As a guitar player playing alone with a metronome makes me sound all dryed up so to speak but with drums i think we all know when he changes the beat so do we and we tend to get all creative and stuff.unlike listening to , click , click , click. am i right? The shelf was a good place for that thing..lol

Some drummers need it, some find it easier being on time every time with it and some drummers don't need one at all. I look at it like this, I don't use one and never have, I wouldn't shun some one for using one and I make mistakes just like every one but I don't need one. As a rule of thumb, I don't really need to have a band rehearsal on a ongoing basis. I learn my part and would need a few dress rehearsals with a band but beyond that I don't see a need for a regular band rehearsal.

In my opinion, metronomes are a great training tool from which all musicians can benefit. Time spent practicing with one pays off in performance.

Take something you can play well, and figure out where the tempo falls for you naturally. Then, set your metronome 5 bpm faster (or 5 bpm slower) and play it again. it's a good exercise.

I've worked in bands where the drummer had his own feed via a headset that gave him a click track so the tempos were always consistent. The tempos had been synched with recordings of the songs. I always tend to count tunes off a hair fast...excitement and "dance-ability" being the main cause.

I'm not a fan of metronomes for guitar practice, but they come in handy when you decide as a band that a song sounds best at a given tempo. The metronome can then help the drummer lock into that tempo in practice - or even in performance.

Archived