Gibson Brands Forums

1959 ES-335 Historic

Gmjohnson

Hello All,

I am looking to purchase a Gibson Custom Shop 1959 ES-335 Historic within the next 45 days or so. However, I have a couple of questions that I thought someone on this forum might be able to address. I came across a Gibson Custom Shop 1959 ES-335 Historic (manufactured in Nashville) at a Gibson authorized dealer that was new in the box, manufactured in 2009, with a limited run of 250 in cherry and 250 in sunburst. My first question is what is the difference between the 2009 Historic model and the 2013 "Gibson Custom Shop 1959 ES-335 Dot Reissue" listed under the Historic section of Gibson's website? Are they the same guitar? If so, does the 2013 model have a limited run of 250 in each color? If they are not the same guitar, what is the difference between the 2009 Historic model and the 2013 Historic model? I appreciate any insight you might have as I am somewhat confused!

Regards,

Greg

I have a '59 Historic in Cherry, made in 2009,, so I presume it is from the same run you are talking about. Since I bought it when it was a year old, I don't have any documentation showing it was a limited run, but I have read that elsewhere as well.

I, too have been scratching my head about the current designations on the Gibson website, since they don't say where the guitar was made, and they don't really give adequate details. They do, however, mention some details of the 2013 version that seem to be different from the 2009 version--for example, different pickups, different tuners--and state that those changes for 2013 make it "truer to the origianl". Whether this is hype or has some meaning, I haven't a clue.

My 2009 Nashville Historic is a great guitar, and I highly recommend it, if you don't mind paying the extra bucks for the Nashville version.

There is a long-term discussion going on as to whether the Nashville-finished guitars are better, and worth the money. I can't say with any certainty, but I'm glad I spent the extra money to buy one.

If you go back and look at this one again, PM me with the serial number, which I believe should start with A-99*** if it is from the same run as mine. It would also be interesting to know what it says on the label (other than Nashville). Mine just says "'59-335" as the model designation, and of course give the serial number.

Here it is, next to my '68 ES 335-12:

ES335sisters.jpg

• 3 months later...

Last year I bought a Custom Shop 1959 ES-335 Dot Reissue (Made in Nashville). I opted for the Nashville model (more money) because I was not interested in the VOS finish and Nashville was THE original Custom Shop for Gibson. From what I understand, the entire ES operation has been moved to Memphis because that is where the original 1959 steam bending press is that makes the ES bodies. I was told by Gibson reps that in the past, the bodies were made in Memphis and then shipped to Nashville for finish in the Custom Shop. So if all this is true, the Nashville Custom shop models may have more collectablity in the future. Is it a better custom offering than the Memphis model? Who knows.

All that aside, my ES is the finest playing and sounding guitar that I own. Truly a fine instrument. Incredibly versatile, it can handle just about any genre and do it well. The tone seems to just get sweeter as it ages. I play mine trough a Victoria 3515. When I bought mine, the salesmen did not even know what they had. They had to go pull the guitars and read the interior label to tell where it was made.

It is hard to say exactly what the differences are from 2009-2013. Gibson has not put much effort into cataloging details over the years. I doubt there is enough difference if any between an '09 and a '13 made in the Nashville Custom shop to even tell them apart. According to Gibson's website, the Vintage Burst and Natural are not offered in '13.

Although Wildwood has several "Limited Run" Natural Finish Custom 1959 ES-335 Dots on their website. Wildwood ES-335.

And Sweetwater list a 2013 1959 Custom in Vintage Sunburst. What the heck Gibson???!! I wish they would get there stories straight so my kids will know what they have when I hand my guitars down in 30 years.

For 2012, the website did say that there were only 250 of each made in each color finish (red, vintage, and natural). I printed all this out because I knew it would be my only record. If I were you and the price was right, I would jump on the '09 Nashville. You won't be sorry.

IMG_0428.jpg

Yep I agree with you. Gibson these days has no real reliabiity as far as specs go it seems almost from day to day........for example my '59 historic ES-335 in faded cherry was made in Nashville however I notice that the same guitar made in Nashville these days has these kind of ugly (IMHO) volume and tone knobs versus the all black speed knobs on my guitar..........a little thing however for the $$$ that one puts out for one of these guitars I just don't understand why Gibson changes these things albeit they probably got a better deal from some supplier for said knobs............jim in Maine

Yep I agree with you. Gibson these days has no real reliabiity as far as specs go it seems almost from day to day........for example my '59 historic ES-335 in faded cherry was made in Nashville however I notice that the same guitar made in Nashville these days has these kind of ugly (IMHO) volume and tone knobs versus the all black speed knobs on my guitar..........a little thing however for the $$$ that one puts out for one of these guitars I just don't understand why Gibson changes these things albeit they probably got a better deal from some supplier for said knobs............jim in Maine

Jimmy,

Looks like Wildwood & Sweetwater (maybe other high end dealers) have some special run ES-335 Customs from Nashville. You will pay upwards and above $6K for them though. I agree with you on the knobs (although not a show stopper IMO). I like the black knobs on the Cherry and Natural and the brown top hats on the Vintage Burst. A very minor issue on all excellent guitars.

Cheers,

Woolly

a93099_f1.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Update on this thread:

Last November 2013 my wife and I took our honey moon in Memphis, TN. First up on the agenda was to tour the Gibson factory. It was a great experience and we learned a lot about Gibson’s hollow body guitar construction. I don’t know of you could say that there is actually a “Custom Shop” there in the traditional sense but they will make guitars to order with specific specs, materials, finishes, etc. And we saw some nice ones.

It was really cool to see the old 1950’s bending presses, huge band saws, etc. that Gibson has re-tooled and kept operational to produce these guitars. Those machines are not made anymore and certainly not in America. Too many to list here but I guess it will be a lost art when these machines are gone.

We were really surprised to see how much of this operation is “hand made”. The only process that is done by CNC is that the neck blanks are roughed out and the peg holes drilled 4 at a time on a mill. From there they are hand finished to size on bench/hand sanders. Fret boards, binding, frets, and dressed by hand. If they had a PLEK machine, we were not shown it and I forgot to ask.

There are too many processes to list here but painting, electronics, body binding, etc. all done by hand. A final inspection is done and if it is not perfect it gets rejected. A lot of that work looked very tedious but they told us that the average time of employment there was something like 18 years. So lots of experience. Bottom line, we were impressed with the Memphis operation (even though I own a Nashville model). I would not hesitate to buy a Memphis ES or anything else if I was in the market.

We really needed another week to see it all. Other than gorging ourselves on great food and spirits daily, and hearing a lot of great live music, here are some other great attractions:

Rock and Soul Museum

Sun Studios

Stax Records

Graceland

Cheers,

Woolly

• 10 months later...

Added one more guitar to the herd today.

I have been missing an electric for quite some time and came home with this beauty today, courtesy today of the fine folks at Wildwood Guitars.

335_zps2bbabf9e.jpg

2008 Historic Nashville 59.

Wow! that is sure a pretty one. Bet it sounds great too.

There appears to be a great deal of confusion between a factory limited run (what's on the web site and available to the general public) and custom order limited run (special limited runs on models specified and ordered by individual preferred retailers such as Wildwood, Sweetwater, et.al).

There are also certain models that are only built in Nashville while most models are built in Memphis. I understand that much of the old wood carving machinery from Kalamazoo is in Nashville. My understanding is that the Historics are made in Nashville Custom Shop and is one of the differences between the Custom Shop in Nashville and the Custom Shop in Memphis. I also heard that a lot of the artist custom models are made by the Historics team in Nashville. It seems that the Memphis Custom Shop is more of a brand identifier for certain models. If you place a one off custom order with Gibson for a guitar it will most likely be built in Nashville by their Custom Shop.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello All,

I am looking to purchase a Gibson Custom Shop 1959 ES-335 Historic within the next 45 days or so. However, I have a couple of questions that I thought someone on this forum might be able to address. I came across a Gibson Custom Shop 1959 ES-335 Historic (manufactured in Nashville) at a Gibson authorized dealer that was new in the box, manufactured in 2009, with a limited run of 250 in cherry and 250 in sunburst. My first question is what is the difference between the 2009 Historic model and the 2013 "Gibson Custom Shop 1959 ES-335 Dot Reissue" listed under the Historic section of Gibson's website? Are they the same guitar? If so, does the 2013 model have a limited run of 250 in each color? If they are not the same guitar, what is the difference between the 2009 Historic model and the 2013 Historic model? I appreciate any insight you might have as I am somewhat confused!

Regards,

Greg

I purchased a Memphis '59 ES335 back in 2009, year of its manufacture. Back then I was curious about all the different '59 335s that were being produced and one of the Gibson moderators on this Forum clarified the confusion a bit. He said the 50th anniversary '59 ES335s were produced in the Nashville Custom Shop and (aside from the certificate and orange label) could be identified by a light colored neck and an open wire channel under the bridge pickup (not an accurate feature for a '59 by the way), while the Memphis '59 would have a dark colored neck, a solid center block and no open wire channel, which is correct for a '59. Both have the chunky neck profile and long pickguard. The Nashville '59s had the redlined case, the Memphis models have the grey lined case. I've not had the opportunity to set them side by side, but I can tell you my Memphis-built '59 ES335 has become so much my go-to guitar over the past six years I've started selling much of my collection.

• 2 months later...

I just purchased a NOS 2013 Memphis Historic 1959 ES-335. I have owned over the years many original 1959 ES-335 (I often didn't have enough money to own more than one guitar at a time, so often traded, and then ineveitably missed having a great 335 and would buy another one --a dn back in the day they were not THAT expensive. I have also the past three years owned a bunch of high end dotneck reissues. I have tried 'upgrading' a number of them with real PAF's, etc. So I consider myself as having a lot of first-hand experience with this vintage 33's, specifically 1959's. That said, my taste (like anyone's) in what I look fort in a guitar may not be the same as yours, so my opinion may not be yours. I play with a relatively clean to low overdrive sound (more bluesy with a touch of jazz, and am not a rock player) - I look for something very sweet in the neck position, and something kind of Albert King to Cream era Clapton in the treble position. All this said, I think the guitar I just bought is by far the best 'reissue' I've ever played, and in fact compares favorably with the very best vintage 335's I've ever had. First, it looks fantastic -- absolutely like an original (mine is honey burst with a VOS treatment). Second, it feels really vintage. I personally like huge frets and a very slightly flatter radius, so will have I refretted with very high frets. As for tone, I will reserve my statement until I have gone out to play with it. I may put in some real PAF's or boutique PAF clones -- but first will test it out to see if necessary. All in all, it's the best 335 'reissue" I've ever played. By overview, to me the top-of-the-line Gibson Les Paul's and 3335's made from 2013 to the present seem to be the best work Gibson has ever done in recreating Gibson's vintage guitars. I don't know if it's the hide glue, materials, workmanship, attention to detail, but whatever, everything to me seems to have come together. I just love this new guitar!

Anyway, I learned a few interesting things from calling Gibso as to what 335 is what -- it's a bit confusing to know what model is what. The weay I understand it, and please correct m if I am wrong, the most authentic (and expensive) recreations of a vintage 1959 335 can be identified by the fact that they are labeled "Gibson 1959 ES-335's." The more standard versions (which may be fantastic too) are labeled "dotneck reissues." That is, the top-of-the-line ones most period correct model is labeled by the year "1959" now -- rather than as a reissue. I had thought I would see something labeled "Gibson Memphis Historic" -- but it seems the label with he year "1959" rather than "dotneck reissue" is the identifying term if yu re looking fir the model that seeks to be the most period correct 1959 model. There seems to be quite a big difference in the price between the "1959" Historic and the "Dotneck Reissues."

Also, and again correct me if I'm wrong, when I called Gibson I undrstood them to say that the 2013 "1959" is near identical with the 2014 and 2015, other than different pick-ups and a different type of wood in the block inside the guitar -- but in general identical in every other aspect. So if you can find a 2013 or 2014, you might be able to save a little money and still get the same incredible guitar as a 2015.

Love to hear others thoughts on this model. Thanks.

I just purchased a NOS 2013 Memphis Historic 1959 ES-335. I have owned over the years many original 1959 ES-335 (I often didn't have enough money to own more than one guitar at a time, so often traded, and then ineveitably missed having a great 335 and would buy another one --a dn back in the day they were not THAT expensive. I have also the past three years owned a bunch of high end dotneck reissues. I have tried 'upgrading' a number of them with real PAF's, etc. So I consider myself as having a lot of first-hand experience with this vintage 33's, specifically 1959's. That said, my taste (like anyone's) in what I look fort in a guitar may not be the same as yours, so my opinion may not be yours. I play with a relatively clean to low overdrive sound (more bluesy with a touch of jazz, and am not a rock player) - I look for something very sweet in the neck position, and something kind of Albert King to Cream era Clapton in the treble position. All this said, I think the guitar I just bought is by far the best 'reissue' I've ever played, and in fact compares favorably with the very best vintage 335's I've ever had. First, it looks fantastic -- absolutely like an original (mine is honey burst with a VOS treatment). Second, it feels really vintage. I personally like huge frets and a very slightly flatter radius, so will have I refretted with very high frets. As for tone, I will reserve my statement until I have gone out to play with it. I may put in some real PAF's or boutique PAF clones -- but first will test it out to see if necessary. All in all, it's the best 335 'reissue" I've ever played. By overview, to me the top-of-the-line Gibson Les Paul's and 3335's made from 2013 to the present seem to be the best work Gibson has ever done in recreating Gibson's vintage guitars. I don't know if it's the hide glue, materials, workmanship, attention to detail, but whatever, everything to me seems to have come together. I just love this new guitar!

Anyway, I learned a few interesting things from calling Gibso as to what 335 is what -- it's a bit confusing to know what model is what. The weay I understand it, and please correct m if I am wrong, the most authentic (and expensive) recreations of a vintage 1959 335 can be identified by the fact that they are labeled "Gibson 1959 ES-335's." The more standard versions (which may be fantastic too) are labeled "dotneck reissues." That is, the top-of-the-line ones most period correct model is labeled by the year "1959" now -- rather than as a reissue. I had thought I would see something labeled "Gibson Memphis Historic" -- but it seems the label with he year "1959" rather than "dotneck reissue" is the identifying term if yu re looking fir the model that seeks to be the most period correct 1959 model. There seems to be quite a big difference in the price between the "1959" Historic and the "Dotneck Reissues."

Also, and again correct me if I'm wrong, when I called Gibson I undrstood them to say that the 2013 "1959" is near identical with the 2014 and 2015, other than different pick-ups and a different type of wood in the block inside the guitar -- but in general identical in every other aspect. So if you can find a 2013 or 2014, you might be able to save a little money and still get the same incredible guitar as a 2015.

Love to hear others thoughts on this model. Thanks.

Congratulations! Now forum rules; photos or it didn't happen! [biggrin]

Archived