Gibson Brands Forums

Parlor guitars

Paulnumbfingers

As many of you know, I am planning a long trip through the south and so I have a good excuse to add a parlor guitar to my collection. I have played many, but I have not found one that did not sound tinny. Any recommendations on parlor guitars, or plain old smaller body guitars that have a good sound. One other caveat, are there any worthy ones under $800? I bought my daughter a seagull coastal grand, but frankly it also has a tinny sound to it, okay for her age and a beginner guitar, but not for my ears.

i've been researching parlours too , the recording kings get fantastic reviews and wont break the bank . like you i havent got a guitar central to go and try 50 different ones , maybe someone here has one and can back it up

The one I've played on a lot of the AyeTunes clips I've posted is a ROS-627, it's an absolutely cracking guitar. Very open, extremely lively and just overall a really nice wee guitar. It may not have the prestige of guitars with loftier prices, but it's an absolute cracker... my cajon player is forever trying to buy it from me, the singer wants to buy it from me, a few other guitarists I know from the open mic scene here have all started looking / buying Recording King guitars based on trying mine.

The one I've played on a lot of the AyeTunes clips I've posted is a ROS-627, it's an absolutely cracking guitar. Very open, extremely lively and just overall a really nice wee guitar. It may not have the prestige of guitars with loftier prices, but it's an absolute cracker... my cajon player is forever trying to buy it from me, the singer wants to buy it from me, a few other guitarists I know from the open mic scene here have all started looking / buying Recording King guitars based on trying mine.

thats the more expensive ones , but still huge bang for a buck ... but even the ones at a couple hundred quid are highly thought of . and they look particularly nice i think .

so many guitars so little money

thats the more expensive ones , but still huge bang for a buck ... but even the ones at a couple hundred quid are highly thought of . and they look particularly nice i think .

so many guitars so little money

One of my mates has the laminate one, I think it's a ROS-16, it's nice, the 627 is nicer overall, but as you say one is about 200 quid, the other is 500 odd. The cheaper one is great 'bang for buck' so to speak.

I do not have a clue about the new stuff out there so cannot offer any kind of advice.

I only own one parlor guitar (which I define as having a lower bout under 13 1/2") - a 1930s Harmony-made Supertone. Paid $30 for with it with its original canvas case and instruction booklet and never had to put a dime into it to make it playable. Most folks would probably turn their nose up at it. It is thin and almost hollow sounding. But it is still alot of fun to play.

I prefer the concerts though. And I do have a thing for the 1920s and 1930s Stellas and own a concert and jumbo (which are rare as hen's teeth). The key to the Schmidt-made guitars is they only have three long tapered top braces. They are probably the lightest built guitars out there. You could try Neil Harpe's Stella Guitars site to see what he has. He does include sound clips as well. He runs a sale in May but buy-in will still be around $900. But you will get a guitar that is one of the most iconic ever made and totally issue free.

Steve's Parlor Guitar site is also alot of fun. Thing is you never really know what the thing is going to sound like unless you have experience with them. So it is a leap of faith. But then again, buying any guitar you have not held in your sweaty little hands first always beings with it a bit of worry before you finally get it. Like Neil's guitars though, you will know the guitar you are getting will be in great shape. And he will have quite a few in your price range.

You might want to consider a Guild Gad M-20. Its solid wood mahogany, 24 3/4" scale and with factory 12s on it, does not have the 'tinny' sound. It is 00 size parlor.

Beautiful guitars, excellent craftsmanship. Every one I played was flawless cosmetically.

Shop around and the non pickup model is in the low $500 range with case, Equipped with pickup about $575 (no case)

This guitar is especially suited for finger picking.

Paul,

The Larrivee parlors are fine guitars, and I'm pretty sure you can find a used one in your price range. I bought one some years back and have used it a lot, even played a few gigs with it.

I bought it for travel and it has certainly filled the bill.

Going back and re-reading your criteria for a parlor has me responding again. I can't believe you can't find an Eastman dealer in the Chicago area! But you maybe could find one on your upcoming trip. As a second choice I'd heed the words of those responding here about Recording King. I own both a Recording King and an Eastman for my "small guitars". Both of mine are Gibson clones while, when I hear the words "parlor guitar" I think of Martin size 0, 12 fret...for some reason. The only reason I steer you towards an Eastman is that Eastmans fit and finish is right up there with the boutique American made guitars and the playability is just slightly ahead of RK IMO. Eastman has about the most beautiful mahogany you can imagine too if you're leaning towards 'hog. RK on the other hand gives you huge bang for the buck. If you're just looking for a beater smaller guitar I'd even consider looking at their new Dirty Thirty lineup. I was playing my RNJ-25 two nights ago with a friend on his Santa Cruz VJ and my RK was just killing that funky bluesy sound that small body Gibsons are known for. I think I paid $200 for that guitar and I wouldn't sell it for a grand. We ARE lucky as guitar players to be living in these bounteous times. Lots of great instruments to choose from.

Shocking how limited the parlor guitars are here in Chicago. GC sells online only apparently. I checked the websites of those who are supposedly dealers and many don't even mention they are recording king or eastman dealers, or if they say they are dealers they don't actually have the guitars in stock. So I will be off to Chicago music exchange who have the RC 06 in stock, I really wanted to try some of the others, but we will see how the 06 sounds. If it meets expectations I will go with that, if not then I may do what I dread and order online, say a novena and hope it sounds good. GC has the ros 16 online, so I may also give that shot if the 06 is not to my liking. At least with GC I can return it easily if it does not work out. I saw several good options on ebay, but weary to buy and the be stuck with the guitar. I saw a nice larrivee koa parlor in my price range, anyone ever heard the koa before?

I've really been dying to get a small body, but right now the budget really puts another Gibson out of reach. Thanks for all of the great suggestions guys! I'm in the same position where I live, just not a lot of things to try. But I'm thinking I'll keep my eyes open for a Larrivee, or check out the RK.

Ok, I took the leap of faith and bought a recording king 626 off ebay, I can't wait to play it and I will give you my thoughts and whether its a keeper. The seller had great reviews and sells a lot of guitars, so I am giving a little bit of trust that he knows what he is doing and the guitar will be prime. Thanks for your input because I never would have considered a RK.

Ok, I took the leap of faith and bought a recording king 626 off ebay, I can't wait to play it and I will give you my thoughts and whether its a keeper. The seller had great reviews and sells a lot of guitars, so I am giving a little bit of trust that he knows what he is doing and the guitar will be prime. Thanks for your input because I never would have considered a RK.

Isn't that a 12-fret triple-oh? Not really a parlor guitar. 15 inch lower bout, probably.

Isn't that a 12-fret triple-oh? Not really a parlor guitar. 15 inch lower bout, probably.

It could be the RP1-626. That's a 0 body--I've got one and it is an amazing little guitar and definitely NOT tinny!

Englemann spruce and Mahogany with a 25.4 inch scale and one of these days my teacher is gonna steal it... :unsure:

Archived