Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone G-400 Pro Heritage Cherry NGD

glennc

Hello to all,

Purchased an Epi SG Pro. Beautiful guitar, splittable humbuckers. Bought it to mod and play. Put a Mean 90 in the bridge, broke the pull volume switch trying to get the knob off. Replaced it with the CTS 500K linear, 250K Audio for tone and sprague .22uf cap from my Epi LP junior. Like the sound. Really don't care much for the sound of the stock humbuckers, now it has the original in the neck with original pots. Wired it as it was, not 50's style.

Was hoping to get feedback and opinions on the guitar from fellow owners. May eventually change the electronics and the neck p/u. Haven't decided on another single coil or my favorite, a 57 Classic.

All opinions and ideas greatly appreciated.

Glenn

The knobs on Epi push-pulls can be pretty tight and hard to get off. Been thru that myself.

A '57 Classic may be kind of dark compared to the P-90 bridge. They don't have a lot of high end, and bridge P-90's are on the bright side and thinner than a humbucker. If you have the bridge P-90 EQ'd the way you want it, a lot of neck HB's probably won't sound that good. '57's have warm A2 magnets, and Mean 90's have bright A5's. I'd put another Mean 90 in the neck slot and make it like an original 1960's SG Special. Lots of great music was done with those around 1970: Iommi, Santana, & Townsend (Live at Leeds).

The knobs on Epi push-pulls can be pretty tight and hard to get off. Been thru that myself.

A '57 Classic may be kind of dark compared to the P-90 bridge. They don't have a lot of high end, and bridge P-90's are on the bright side and thinner than a humbucker. If you have the bridge P-90 EQ'd the way you want it, a lot of neck HB's probably won't sound that good. '57's have warm A2 magnets, and Mean 90's have bright A5's. I'd put another Mean 90 in the neck slot and make it like an original 1960's SG Special. Lots of great music was done with those around 1970: Iommi, Santana, & Townsend (Live at Leeds).

Howdy Bluemans335,

Finally got the knob off the post after the post came out of the switch..... My original thought was to go with another Mean 90 or maybe a Phat Cat. But it is kinda interesting having a humbucker sound and the big single coil. Have to listen to Live at Leeds {:-))! Thanks!

Glenn

Howdy Bluemans335,

Finally got the knob off the post after the post came out of the switch..... My original thought was to go with another Mean 90 or maybe a Phat Cat. But it is kinda interesting having a humbucker sound and the big single coil. Have to listen to Live at Leeds {:-))! Thanks!

Glenn

Phat Cats have A2 magnets, and in the neck slot are very dark and muffled in most guiitars. You're better off with another Mean 90, which has A5 magnets.

Phat Cats have A2 magnets, and in the neck slot are very dark and muffled in most guiitars. You're better off with another Mean 90, which has A5 magnets.

It would be a least expensive change with the Mean 90, and I can vouch for the bridge sound. Just mulling over still, the liking of a 57 in the neck. Very expensive. Probably try out the Mean first. Thanks as always for your opinion!

Glenn

It would be a least expensive change with the Mean 90, and I can vouch for the bridge sound. Just mulling over still, the liking of a 57 in the neck. Very expensive. Probably try out the Mean first. Thanks as always for your opinion!

Glenn

Everyone has different tastes, but I always have trouble EQ'ing an amp when a neck PU is very warm and the bridge is very bright. When that happens, most guys will EQ their amp for just one of the PU's, and just use that all night. I want them both to sound good, and that can be tough when the EQ's are at opposite ends of the spectrum.

Everyone has different tastes, but I always have trouble EQ'ing an amp when a neck PU is very warm and the bridge is very bright. When that happens, most guys will EQ their amp for just one of the PU's, and just use that all night. I want them both to sound good, and that can be tough when the EQ's are at opposite ends of the spectrum.

I kind Sir, don't aspire to that much of a fine taste as of yet, if ever!

Glenn

Or put the Cassic Pro pickup back in. Just say'in.

Dislike the sound too much and already have dual humbucking guitars. This is a pay and play project. Just doodling and trying to hear from some people who might have experience with that guitar and weird combinations {:-))!

Glenn

OK. My comment was based off my new G-400 SG66 Pro, and the stock Classic Pro pickups are extremely bright. Putting other HBs in there will darken considerably, but a P90 might not make it brighter, but possibly thinner. I have to roll the tone setting back on both bridge and neck pickups on this guitar. They can be a little brittle being so bright as HBs are not alike.

OK. My comment was based off my new G-400 SG66 Pro, and the stock Classic Pro pickups are extremely bright. Putting other HBs in there will darken considerably, but a P90 might not make it brighter, but possibly thinner. I have to roll the tone setting back on both bridge and neck pickups on this guitar. They can be a little brittle being so bright as HBs are not alike.

Hello CheapShoes,

I am currently confused on the Epi SG/G-400 Pros and the 66 version. Mine had two humbuckers with split coils, the small pickguard and the truss rod cover says SG Pro. On my amp, to me the humbuckers did not sound bright. Especially when compared to the Mean 90.

IMHO the guitar sounds best with the bridge Mean and the neck humbuckers together. Gives me a nice sound. Then I can switch to the bridge for the single coil sound and the other way for the humbucker. Don't care for the humbucker which sounds to me not as harmonically rich ( I hope those are the terms ) as regular 57 Classic. Like I said thanks and just playing with the guitar and it's sounds.

Glenn

I have an Epiphone SG Special that is one of the nice ones....I put Mean 90's in both neck & bridge and it sounds 110% better than those crappy humbuckers. The Mean 90's have the best tone and although not a "true" P90, they do have a pleasing and useable tone. I had a set of Seymour Duncan hot rodded humbuckers in the guitar. But I really do not like the tone of humbuckers...way too dark, fat, thick and suck when you try to record. Just my 2 cents....

I have an Epiphone SG Special that is one of the nice ones....I put Mean 90's in both neck & bridge and it sounds 110% better than those crappy humbuckers. The Mean 90's have the best tone and although not a "true" P90, they do have a pleasing and useable tone. I had a set of Seymour Duncan hot rodded humbuckers in the guitar. But I really do not like the tone of humbuckers...way too dark, fat, thick and suck when you try to record. Just my 2 cents....

Hello wlav,

Thanks for your viewpoint. Decided to go Mean 90s, saw the Who "Isle of Wight" concert!!!! Really liked the P90 sound. Stuff on order!

Glenn

Archived