Gibson Brands Forums

Carl Martin AC TONE Review

kmartem

I've been using this pedal for about 2 months now and it has earned a place on my pedal board.This pedal has a internal regulated power supply (no wall wart or batterys).It is suposed to replicate the sound of a Vox AC 30.This is a very bright and crunchy overdrive.Nothing like your typical tube screamer clone.It has 2 identical drive channels with there own seperate gain knobs ,a shared volume and cut (tone) knob,and a boost function with on off switch and volume.I'm using this with a Traynor YGM-3 and this pedal was made for this amp. I think it would sound great with a Blues Jr.I set one of the overdrives with a little bit of crunch the next one with a bit more ,then use the boost function for solos.Having 2 of the same drives in one pedal is a very interesting feature.Your drive sound stays the same with more gain,it's very natural sounding.My Traynor is a 2xel84 amp with 20 watts but It has no trouble keeping up with a loud drummer with this pedal.This is by far the quietest pedal I've ever owned.Even with the boost dimmed(and thats a dangerous thing to do with this baby)it's very quiet.I'm going to check out Carl Martins compressor since I like this pedal so much.These are a bit pricey$225 to $250 but well worth it.I may just get rid of the pedal board and just use this, a compressor ,and a delay.

Archived