Gibson Brands Forums

NGD - L-00 TV

lblack

Welcome my new addition - A Gibson L-00 True Vintage. My L-00 TV joins its big brother J45 TV that I bought 1 year ago.

http://db.tt/CSZFPP5g

I find the L-00 fits me better for playing finger style. The 00 body allows me to actually sit with my guitar on my right knee, something that I just could not do with my J45. For fingerstyle, I think I can get my hands in better position now.

I found my L-00 TV at Bailey Brothers Music near Birmingham, Alabama (the 2012 Gibson Acoustic dealer of the year). The L-00 TV apparently is from a special run for the 5-star dealer. I had seen it on the wall about 2 weeks ago and went back a couple of times to play the L-00. Yesterday, I went in and played three different models -- a Robert Johnson L-1 (a 12-fretter), the L-00 TV, and a used Ren Ferguson 2011 hand-made L-00. The Ren Ferguson hand-made model was very nice! But more than I wanted to pay, and the Robert Johnson L-1 although really good did not 'grab me'. Now, the L-00 TV did grab me so I left the store with the guitar in hand. It was made in January 2013 according to the serial number. I changed the strings to D'addario EJ16 (12's, Phosphor-Bronze) this morning, applying just a small amount of fret conditioner, and an overall wipe-down with Gibson pump polish. It really looks good and plays like a dream!

I hope my J45 TV does not get jealous! I will make sure he gets proper attention as the big brother should.

Oh wow, she looks like a beauty, heard great things about this guitar.

I was also considering this model when looking for a Gibson small bodied picker, but then came across a killer vintage LG-2 as I really wanted that dry, old wood thumpy tone.

And yes, your J-45 will get upset at you from spending too much time with the little one, I know my SJ has been like that ...

Congrats and enjoy !

Your J45 might not get jealous but I am!! I saw one of these a couple of months ago, didn't get it and now it's been sold. They seem very rare in England.

Congrats! They're lovely guitars. Now you just need the J200 TV and Hummingbird TV to complete the collection[tongue]

The L-OO is a great fingerpicker, and the TV has most of the features of the L-OO Legend for significantly less money. These guitars are great values, IMHO.

Now, all you need to do is re-position the pickguard to its proper location, like this one..... [biggrin]

L-00007.jpg

I'm glad we got you the right one and that you are loving it!

Keith, I'm betting you could sell a bunch of those if you could get your hands on them. Given the asking prices and condition of most of the vintage ones (except for Penny, of course), this re-issue is a no-brainer.

Concerning the pick guard placement: Here is another picture of my L-00 TV on my dropbox public folder: http://db.tt/Nzqqppqr

I have read other threads on pick guard re-positioning. One thread said to use naphtha and dental floss (I think) to remove the pick guard, etc., but I just do not feel comfortable trying to do that.. Is this something best done by an experienced guitar tech? Or can it be done my the end-user?

My J45 TV and L-00 TV both have the (standard?) placement of the pick guard that overlays the rosette. It does not bother me -- after all I saw what I was buying. I see many professional guitar players with Gibsons and the pick guard placed as it is on my guitars. But I see many of this forum members posting threads about the pick guard placement.

Concerning the pick guard placement: Here is another picture of my L-00 TV on my dropbox public folder: http://db.tt/Nzqqppqr

I have read other threads on pick guard re-positioning. One thread said to use naphtha and dental floss (I think) to remove the pick guard, etc., but I just do not feel comfortable trying to do that.. Is this something best done by an experienced guitar tech? Or can it be done my the end-user?

My J45 TV and L-00 TV both have the (standard?) placement of the pick guard that overlays the rosette. It does not bother me -- after all I saw what I was buying. I see many professional guitar players with Gibsons and the pick guard placed as it is on my guitars. But I see many of this forum members posting threads about the pick guard placement.

For guitars such as the L-OO and the slope-J series, the "historical" placement of the teardrop or other "small" pickguard styles is typically such that the innermost rosette ring (on multi-ring rosettes) is exposed.

This is not gospel, and if the current placement doesn't bother you, there's no reason you should change it. It is not a particularly difficult job, but if you are uncomfortable tackling it, don't, or give it to a good tech.

Heresy, I know, but covering the lower edge of the rosette actually does help prevent digging the rosette out with a pick over time.

That's true, but a bit of wear around the soundhole over time is just a sign of a guitar that loves to be played.

Wow congratulations!!!! You have the brother to my L-00 TV! Bought also at BB about a year ago. I know you'll love yours as much as I like mine. I't ususally the first one I reach for. Enjoy!

Nice ! Personally I wouldn't disturb the pickguard placement unless it really really really rubs you the wrong way, too many unpredictable risky possibilities, even if the liklihood of such is small, its still out there. This looks like a fun little box. [thumbup]

how come nicks pins are black ?

Mine's a different model: L-00 Legend. It's a nominally-exact reproduction of Lee Roy Parnell's 1937 L-00. It came with black pins.

It actually has these Colosi aged bones pins in it now. They are not as yellow as they appear in this photo:

colosipins-1.jpg

Keith, I'm betting you could sell a bunch of those if you could get your hands on them. Given the asking prices and condition of most of the vintage ones (except for Penny, of course), this re-issue is a no-brainer.

It really is frustrating that we can't do custom builds right now. We are optimistic that things will change though. This really is a guitar that should be standard production. Keeping those fingers crossed! And yes, Penny is hanging in there! She is a good girl!

Mine's a different model: L-00 Legend. It's a nominally-exact reproduction of Lee Roy Parnell's 1937 L-00. It came with black pins.

It actually has these Colosi aged bones pins in it now. They are not as yellow as they appear in this photo:

colosipins-1.jpg

much nicer pins i think ...

apologies for steering the thread-

that is a sharp break angle you got there nick . is that something a guitar either has or hasnt ? i'm assuming here that , from you saying you like a lot of finger picking, that you dont have big high bluegrass players action further up the fretboard ? is it possible to get that string break at the saddle and have a real low action ? or is that just something that happens one a few guitars due to the neck fixing process ?

congratulations on the new guitar to the OP ... i really like these small bodied gibsons

that is a sharp break angle you got there nick . is that something a guitar either has or hasnt ? i'm assuming here that , from you saying you like a lot of finger picking, that you dont have big high bluegrass players action further up the fretboard ? is it possible to get that string break at the saddle and have a real low action ? or is that just something that happens one a few guitars due to the neck fixing process ?

This guitar has one of the tapered bridges, so there is more saddle showing on the treble side. It is set up for fingerpicking, with virtually no neck relief.

It is also a rectangular bridge, so the saddle is very close to the pins, which increases the break angle. Similar action could be maintained by lowering the saddle and adding a bit of neck relief, but these small-body guitars are not very loud, and you might lose a bit of volume if you set it up that way.

Tinker, tinker, tinker......

Congrats, lblack! The 00 TVs are fantastic if you can get your hands on them. Lucky for us we live in the "L-00 TV capitol of the world!" I need to get back in to BB to play that Ren 00 Luthier's Choice. I remember playing it when it was new and thought it could use some opening up. The Ren L-1 that came with it absolutely blew me away.

I heard through the grape vine that there might be two new late 30s L-00s in Birmingham by next week. We shall see.

This guitar has one of the tapered bridges, so there is more saddle showing on the treble side. It is set up for fingerpicking, with virtually no neck relief.

It is also a rectangular bridge, so the saddle is very close to the pins, which increases the break angle. Similar action could be maintained by lowering the saddle and adding a bit of neck relief, but these small-body guitars are not very loud, and you might lose a bit of volume if you set it up that way.

OK, thanks for that explanation for how the L-00 is setup for fingerpicking! I only know that when I played the L-00 TV (which is now mine) I liked the way it responded to my fingers. I have never seen a L-00 Legend but from the pictures you posted the bridge/saddle/pin design looks the same as on the L-00 TV, with the pins close to the saddle and the sharp break angle. As I am a beginner studying to learn the guitar, I won't be tinkering though! My only change is to replace the factory 80/20 strings with phosphor-bronze strings.

I really like this forum. I have learned so much from the expertise of the members! Thank you, j45nick, for your contribution to my knowledge increase.

Archived