Gibson Brands Forums

New People of Walmart

bluesguitar65

Note too how "we" are now making it collectively politically incorrect to suggest others are ... morbidly obese.

Sheesh, putting bad publicity on stores and brands that don't have clothing for the over 400-lb set?

I'd like to know why someone of normal physical proportions pays the same airplane ticket price as someone who weighs two to three times more and then complains to the feds the seats are too small?

m

damit 'merica, wtf are you doing with our species?

Excellent F'n Question! I lived here, in Kansas, from birth,

through my 27th birthday (my hometown, then Lawrence, Ks)...

I saw precious few really obese people, during that time.

Moved to California...same thing, very few of them. Moved

back, in 2006...and was astonished, to see the size of nearly

everyone, back in this part of the country. Sure, some are

less obese than others, but even kids, nowadays are WAY over

weight, more often, than not! When I was in HS, in the '60's

you could count on one hand, the number of "fat" people, in

the entire school. Now, is nearly the reverse! It's not only

sad, but very, very dangerous, for their health, and the economic

health, of the country, given the medical care costs, that will

(sooner or later) be require to care for these folks, that don't

seem to care for themselves. It's sad too, because a lot, maybe

even most of them (around here, anyway) are really good/nice people,

in every other aspect.

So...??? Not sure what's going on, entirely, here...these days?! [crying]

CB

You should all be listening to Jamie Oliver!! :P

But on a serious note it IS very sad when the kids are being force fed crap at school.. Pizza, re-processed chicken just nasty crap that's only ever going to have one result.

If you never saw this you should check it out.. I mean really, feeding kids pizza FOR BREAKFAST?? wtf is that about what ever happened to fruit and serial? It is pretty much state led child abuse.....

Yeah, and you can trace back, the increases in Cancer, Heart Disease, Diabetes, and

other cronic illnesses, right along a line, with increased "fast food," and pre-packaged,

convience/comfort foods, that are loaded with suger, salt, and Nitrosamines, and other

"preservatives!"

Never mind, the additives [scared] , in all those foods, that increase one's "need" for them,

over and over. Add in the polution factor(s) in our drinking water, and air...No Wonder,

we're in such a sad, and messy state of affairs.

Scary Place, now...

CB

Yeah, and you can trace back, the increases in Cancer, Heart Disease, Diabetes, and

other cronic illnesses, right along a line, with increased "fast food," and pre-packaged,

convience/comfort foods, that are loaded with suger, salt, and Nitrosamines, and other

"preservatives!"

Jack LaLanne (RIP) was a real health food fanatic in addition to his physical fitness routine. I once heard him talking in an interview on food and his advice was "If man made it, don't eat it."

As guilty as I am, about this next point...it has to be stated!

EXERCISE, rountinely, is critical, as well. When most of us

"Baby Boomers" were kids, even young adults, there was a lot more

activity (organized or not) that promoted, even by peer pressure,

more exercise. There were no computers, computer games, and other

such "tech" distractions, to be played hour on hour, while sitting,

or even laying down. Even the non-athletic types, had some other

form of routine exercise, we enjoyed doing. Walking, jogging,

swimming (excellent overall exercise), etc. I drive by our park,

and some of the local "playing fields," and they are EMPTY! Even

on the nicest of days! WTF?!! And, when you do go to an organized

game, or some such, I still think the concession stand, makes the most

money, and those consumers, make (and leave) the biggest messes, as well.

IMHO, and casual observations, as always. [tongue][unsure]

CB

Jack LaLanne (RIP) was a real health food fanatic in addition to his physical fitness routine. I once heard him talking in an interview on food and his advice was "If man made it, don't eat it."

Exactly! However...unless/until you can convince the food industy, both grocery, and fast food,

restaurant industy, to start serving fresher, and more wholesome, healthy, products...I don't see

much chance (beyond one's own personal decisions), for any real collective change! Too much money

to be made, making, and/or keeping everyone sick! [cursing]

CB

Exactly! However...unless/until you can convince the food industy, both grocery, and fast food,

restaurant industy, to start serving fresher, and more wholesome, healthy, products...I don't see

much chance (beyond one's own personal decisions), for any real collective change! Too much money

to be made, making, and/or keeping everyone sick! [cursing]

CB

You know where to start? Stop subsidizing crap commodities like GMO corn and GMO soy beans so the prices for processed junk food are on par with healthy, wholesome vegetables. If anything should be subsidized it should be fruits and vegetables. We need to stop treating food like spinach and squash as a oddity crop (or whatever the term is for crops that aren't commoditized). Broccoli should not cost more than a fast food hamburger.

As guilty as I am, about this next point...it has to be stated!

EXERCISE, rountinely, is critical, as well. When most of us

"Baby Boomers" were kids, even young adults, there was a lot more

activity (organized or not) that promoted, even by peer pressure,

more exercise. There were no computers, computer games, and other

such "tech" distractions, to be played hour on hour, while sitting,

or even laying down. Even the non-athletic types, had some other

form of routine exercise, we enjoyed doing. Walking, jogging,

swimming (excellent overall exercise), etc. I drive by our park,

and some of the local "playing fields," and they are EMPTY! Even

on the nicest of days! WTF?!! And, when you do go to an organized

game, or some such, I still think the concession stand, makes the most

money, and those consumers, make (and leave) the biggest messes, as well.

IMHO, and casual observations, as always. [tongue][unsure]

CB

There's an APP for that now!! People don't even have to get up to exercise (well, except to swipe their fingers) [rolleyes] Biggest damn muscle group in their bodies.

Aster

Okay, a cupla points.

1. Genetic modification is what mankind has been doing with his food at least since towns began mass ag production as opposed to hunter-gatherer cultures. Period. Some have figured how to speed things a bit and that gave us the "green revolution" that essentially kept starvation at bay in lotza places. Those who oppose overpopulation might see that as a negative, but those who figure all ought to have any living standard figure it's a positive.

To me the weakness is that once a farmer buys seeds for a "patented" crop, he cannot use his own crop for seed for next year's crop. But then, that legal decision dates back long generations before anybody know about DNA, let alone felt they could mess with it a bit.

In fact, one might make a case that our ancestors did a better job of messing with plant genes than we do. It just took 'em a bit longer. Heck, bananas as we know them wouldn't exist other than through cultivation in ways that date back at least a cupla thousand years. Oh - and they're also slightly radioactive by nature.

2. School lunches: Under current federal standards, the federal requirements for U.S. school lunches are so difficult to follow due to X amount of this grain or that, this whatever or that, I've seen school districts of 0-2,000 students forced into contracting with service firms to produce their school lunch menus and school lunches to meet those federal regs.

3. Obesity? Yup. Consumer more and burn less and guess what happens?

m

You should all be listening to Jamie Oliver!! :P

But on a serious note it IS very sad when the kids are being force fed crap at school.. Pizza, re-processed chicken just nasty crap that's only ever going to have one result.

If you never saw this you should check it out.. I mean really, feeding kids pizza FOR BREAKFAST?? wtf is that about what ever happened to fruit and serial? It is pretty much state led child abuse.....

Just watched a couple episodes.. I'm hooked! I think he can do it. I want him to be able to do it... Please do it!

Just watched a couple episodes.. I'm hooked! I think he can do it. I want him to be able to do it... Please do it!

Im not saying nothing ;)

It is worth watching though.. Very interesting stuff happens.

Okay, a cupla points.

1. Genetic modification is what mankind has been doing with his food at least since towns began mass ag production as opposed to hunter-gatherer cultures. Period. Some have figured how to speed things a bit and that gave us the "green revolution" that essentially kept starvation at bay in lotza places. Those who oppose overpopulation might see that as a negative, but those who figure all ought to have any living standard figure it's a positive.

To me the weakness is that once a farmer buys seeds for a "patented" crop, he cannot use his own crop for seed for next year's crop. But then, that legal decision dates back long generations before anybody know about DNA, let alone felt they could mess with it a bit.

In fact, one might make a case that our ancestors did a better job of messing with plant genes than we do. It just took 'em a bit longer. Heck, bananas as we know them wouldn't exist other than through cultivation in ways that date back at least a cupla thousand years. Oh - and they're also slightly radioactive by nature.

It's not the same thing, brother. What our ancestors did and what Monsanto is doing is not in the same ballpark. Our ancestors used Mendel type science to cross bread, concentrate desirable traits, and weed out (no pun intended) undesirable ones. It's giving mother nature a helping hand. What Monsanto is doing is splicing DNA and inserting foreign genes. This is stuff done in a laboratory, not in the field.

Regarding patented crops, this makes me so angry. Ever heard of Percy Schmeiser? If not, please read up on his case against Monsanto. The fact that someone can take out a patent on a seed is just ridiculous.

Note too how "we" are now making it collectively politically incorrect to suggest others are ... morbidly obese.

Sheesh, putting bad publicity on stores and brands that don't have clothing for the over 400-lb set?

I'd like to know why someone of normal physical proportions pays the same airplane ticket price as someone who weighs two to three times more and then complains to the feds the seats are too small?

m

Major airlines are addressing the issue of fatties on airplanes and making them pay more. http://www.businessinsider.com/will-big-airlines-charge-fat-passengers-extra-2013-4

Airline people said it has to do with fuel consumption. More weight more fuel used to get to the destination and fat people add to the weight thus increase ticket prices.

I do think there is a double standard and a fat people get away with playing the victims when they are viscious to us tiny humans. People feel free to say to me, "eat something, you're too skinny" and mention how thin I am very regularly. If I ever said, "you need to loose weight, you're too large," to anyone, people would say I was a bee-och. Americans made being thin cool, and the majority are fat. If there was a famine, being fat would become attractive again, I guess. Its not my fault I'm the standard they set, lol.

I stopped going to Wallmart a year ago to avoid the trashy people despite the fact that they are broadening their organic section a bit. I am SO happy to be a Whole Foods snob. Costumers say, "excuse me" and "thank you" while the employees are all happy and give great service. Wallmart may have a large organic section some day, but I will be damned if I set foot in one again. If I go poor, I'll just stop eating meat and stick to cheaper stuff at WFs.

A study showed, though, that a balanced diet for one person made up of all WF groceries can be had at a very reasonable price. I myself eat mostly organic whole wheat pastas, beans, frozen veggies, oats, eggs, and bread. Unless you're getting pre-made or select cheeses and beers, WF isn't expensive at all. [biggrin]

edit for link

Archived