Gibson Brands Forums

New People of Walmart

bluesguitar65

As guilty as I am, about this next point...it has to be stated!

EXERCISE, rountinely, is critical, as well.

I hear you. I've been working out 2-3X per week for years (mostly due to staying in shape to race cars), but I'm amazed (well, maybe not) at the amount of people who are totally out of shape. And you know who they are. They're the ones who circle the grocery store parking lot waiting for that first space to open up so they don't have to walk, etc.

People, MOVE!!!!! It's GOOOD FOR YOU!!! Stepping off of soapbox now LOL

PS - also publicly thanking my parents for my metabolism which has helped immensely.

I was going to say, that restaurants, and food suppliers, need to serve and stock

healthier alternatives. I've even asked for more of that type of thing, at my local

grocier. They say.."We can get some, for YOU, but we won't stock it, regularly,

because it "won't sell!" I got much the same response, from the local eateries!

They serve, what people "want!" (Or, think they want...as I'm pretty sure a lot of

these folks have never had, an "alternative," on any regular basis.)

I was at dinner (out) this evening. A Very Large person goes through the salad bar,

ahead of me. Picks very little Iceburg lettuce (which is ALL they serve, around here...SIGH),

heaps on vast amounts of grated cheddar cheese, croutons, ham, baby corn, and 4 scoups

of dressing...(1 of each kind, in a different spot, on the overall salad)! I couldn't

imagine that "salad," was any less, than 2-3000 calories, alone! [scared] He, and his equally

large wife, were sitting at a table, not far from the booth, that I routinely occupy,

in that particular establishment! (We only have 3, in town, and this one is (agruably)

the better, of the 3.) She too, had a "salad," if a bit less caloric, than his. When

their main course arrived, it was 18 oz, Porterhouse Steak, curly fries, and fried

onions, as a side order,for him, and an equally large "Chicken Fried, Chicken," and gravy

order, plus a baked potato...with Everything, for her. NO "GREEN VEGGIES" at all...beyond

the "Iceburg" lettuce...if you dare to call that "green?!" This is a "Wednesday" evening...

nothing special, no special occasion, just another dinner out.

The sad part is, this is NOT "unusual," for many folks, around these parts, anymore.

And, the kids love to mimic, and "learn," from their parent's example! [unsure]

I felt, absolutely (willingly) deprived, with my baked, skinless chicken, new potatoes,

and steamed broccoli. My "salad," was (mostly) lettuce, green pepper, cucumber, and a

very sparce amount of "Catalina/French" dressing (I have to have some vices, you know)!

1/2 of My entire meal (less the salad) was boxed, and taken home, as the portions are

so large, I can easily get 2 good meals, out of one of their servings.

So...??? "America" (especially middle, and southern America, it seems) needs to adopt a

much different approach to eating, and "diet!" One can still eat very well, in moderation,

and...be healthier, in one's choices. Heck, if "I" can do it, ANYONE can!

People think the "Wallmart People" videos are "funny!" Some are, for the costumes, alone.

But, more often than not, they sadden, and depress me, to be totally honest. Because, I

remember a time, when this area, and our entire country, was as "lean" and healthy, well

dressed, and well kempt, as any similar place on earth! [crying]

CB

i'm almost 50 & comfortably wear the same pants/shirt size that I wore in high school over 30 yrs ago.....I get a little "belly" during winter & promptly lose it in warm weather.

avoiding "fast food & Junk food" keeps my weight in check and hard work keeps my muscles hard.

i'm not "ripped", nor am I "fat"....i'm average ht. & wt. and in great shape for my age according to my Doctor (except for horrible osteo & traumatic arthritis from being tossed from too many horses in my youth).

OTOH, I have a cousin 6 yrs my junior that was diagnosed as morbidly obese nearly 20 yrs ago....she never worked a day in her life and draws 100% disability for her "condition".

the State instructed her to have surgery to lose weight or lose her disability check, at which time she paid a lawyer to lie and respond that surgery would violate her religious beliefs, and the State dropped the idea immediately.

this is a serious problem that's breaking our national bank.....how many times do you see a "handicapped" car-tag, and the driver can barely pry themselves from behind the wheel because they weigh 400+ lbs?

and every one of them draws a check, as do alcoholics and drug addicts (I KNOW this to be true because members of my own family do this).

oh well, what to do....keep working every night w/o fail, no matter how badly my arthritis bothers me, because millions of disability cheats depend on me...(and on YOU too!)

i'm almost 50 & comfortably wear the same pants/shirt size that I wore in high school over 30 yrs ago.....I get a little "belly" during winter & promptly lose it in warm weather.

avoiding "fast food & Junk food" keeps my weight in check and hard work keeps my muscles hard.

i'm not "ripped", nor am I "fat"....i'm average ht. & wt. and in great shape for my age according to my Doctor (except for horrible osteo & traumatic arthritis from being tossed from too many horses in my youth).

OTOH, I have a cousin 6 yrs my junior that was diagnosed as morbidly obese nearly 20 yrs ago....she never worked a day in her life and draws 100% disability for her "condition".

the State instructed her to have surgery to lose weight or lose her disability check, at which time she paid a lawyer to lie and respond that surgery would violate her religious beliefs, and the State dropped the idea immediately.

this is a serious problem that's breaking our national bank.....how many times do you see a "handicapped" car-tag, and the driver can barely pry themselves from behind the wheel because they weigh 400+ lbs?

and every one of them draws a check, as do alcoholics and drug addicts (I KNOW this to be true because members of my own family do this).

oh well, what to do....keep working every night w/o fail, no matter how badly my arthritis bothers me, because millions of disability cheats depend on me...(and on YOU too!)

Yep...nothing like Rewarding bad habits, and worse behavior! But, that's a whole "nuther" discussion! [tongue]

CB

Bender...

Since I was 5-7 and 132 pounds at high school graduation, I'm actually kinda happy I can NOT get into my high school clothes. <grin> I'm shrinking a bit from 5-10 and 160-170, but that's where I've been pretty much since I was 25.

I eat what I like and what I want and what the bod tells me to eat at a given meal. When I get at 170 I tell the bod to back off and that's it. I'll drop to 160-165, depending on time of year, within a month or so.

Yeah, genetics help - although I surely hated being so slow in gaining altitude when I was in high school.

m

Bender...

I eat what I like and what I want and what the bod tells me to eat at a given meal. When I get at 170 I tell the bod to back off and that's it. I'll drop to 160-165, depending on time of year, within a month or so.

Yeah, genetics help - although I surely hated being so slow in gaining altitude when I was in high school.

m

Suck it up Princess,, you aint gettin no pity here...lol

I look at food and undo my belt a notch... hehe.

Quap...

One might suggest the genetics weren't all that bad, frustrating as they were when I was 18.

A bit of training here and there... and at 60 I could still jump kick the top of standard doorways.

But then, so could my Grandpa at his late 70s.

m

I'm from Arkansas. I'm proud of Wal Mart and Sam Walton. [thumbup]

The problem isn't Wally World, its the people who shop and work there.

In my expirience, the people who work there are not proud to work there and they act like they hate their job. If what the company advertises, mainly that they make sure their products come from factories where people aren't being exploited, is true and if they began a war with the meat industry by buying their meats and produce from local farmers who do right by their animals and produce, I would back them 100%. It is nice to know most of the people at the head were (supposedly) at the bottom when they started with Wally World.

Wal Mart carries what sells, and the populace determines what sells, and the populace wants cheap nasty food...Wal Mart has to carry that stuff and I don't blame them.

Shees, but do they have to dress like that?! [flapper]

Funny... there are four (yes 4) Wal*Mart stores in close proximity to my home. I have never seen anyone remotely resembling those people. Then again my visits aren't that often. The next time I need snow tires, tube socks, whip cream and a lawn chair I'll pay closer attention to the clientele.

Funny... there are four (yes 4) Wal*Mart stores in close proximity to my home. I have never seen anyone remotely resembling those people. Then again my visits aren't that often. The next time I need snow tires, tube socks, whip cream and a lawn chair I'll pay closer attention to the clientele.

Yeah, it does depend on the neighborhood, the store is located in. And the demographic they serve, accordingly.

Some are really nice, stocked well, and have decent enough workers. Other's are a Friggin' Nightmare! Time of

day, does seem to be a factor, as well. But, my experience has been that WalMarts in decent neighborhoods,

tend to be pretty good! Plus, they tend to hire better people (managers and workers) in those communities...by "better,"

I mean friendlier, and more responsible, and willing to work. But...Your experiences, may vary! [tongue][biggrin]

CB

Archived