Gibson Brands Forums

What would you say this Gibson is worth?

merseybeat1963

What a ridiculous asking price, I'd say used no more than 1/3 that.

There was a Blonde Maple Vine posted on ebay for a year which was between $6500-7300..by dealer (The earlier more ornate one)

Those two guitars aren't in any way comparable. The Master Museum models were basically hand-built by Ren in the Art Shop. All the fancy carving, from the neck heel to the pick guard, was done by Ren using hand tools. The inlay pattern is unique to that specific guitar. He built and voiced the top. The original list would have been $50K. The Vine was a regular production model, built on the line except for the inlay, and the original list would have been less than 25% of that of the Master Museum model.

These highly collectible one-offs do not depreciate in the same way that production models do, and Ren's retirement certainly didn't hurt prices. So the asking price looks perfectly reasonable to me (although the selling it on eBay bit is a little odd).

-- Bob R

Those two guitars aren't in any way comparable. The Master Museum models were basically hand-built by Ren in the Art Shop. All the fancy carving, from the neck heel to the pick guard, was done by Ren using hand tools. The inlay pattern is unique to that specific guitar. He built and voiced the top. The original list would have been $50K. The Vine was a regular production model, built on the line except for the inlay, and the original list would have been less than 25% of that of the Master Museum model.

These highly collectible one-offs do not depreciate in the same way that production models do, and Ren's retirement certainly didn't hurt prices. So the asking price looks perfectly reasonable to me (although the selling it on eBay bit is a little odd).

-- Bob R

This is pre Museum 1991..but still as made by Ren it is comparable?

Not that Im in such a price range..

Thanks

Archived