Gibson Brands Forums

Back to plastic pins on my j45

brixa

Being influenced by the obsession on these forums about changing to bone pins etc i imported a set from the states a few years back. Got a 2010 j45 standard and was getting frustrated at the frequent need for string changes (d'addario exp 12's every 6 weeks). Had the current strings on for 6 weeks and the a d & g strings were dead. Bunged the original plastic pins back in tonite and my baby has her mojo back. Sustain, volume and clarity all returned. Beware of bone upgrades. I'm now of the opinion that's the reason why you get what you get from the factory. Anyone else had a similar experience?

No, but this is definitely a case of "different strokes for different folks".

Every guitar responds differently to string/pin combinations. I'm not a fan of coated strings like the EXP's, but it's all a matter of taste.

I've settled on bone pins and DR Sunbeam medium PB's (12's in DR world) for my Gibson flat tops (two hog slope-J's and an L-OO), and it's a combination that works really well for me both tone-wise and playing-wise. People here have all kinds of preferences, and there's no right or wrong on this.

Try ebony warm mellow smooth. Collings scgc bourgeois all use them right off the line. Not to say they are better guitars but it means something.

I've put them in all of my guitars. Adds sustain and clarity but not brightness like bone I've noticed added to my guitars.

Gotta go with whatever your ear says sounds best to you. I like bone or galalaith but read this:

http://www.vintageinstrumentrental.com/acou_bridge_pin_sets.htm

for another viewpoint. Larry Cragg should know a thing or two about acoustics, but then none of us are the be all and end all about anything. That's what I like about these forums.

Hey,

I noticed a month or so ago that my J-30 had rosewood pins?

Anyway, I whacked in some plastic ones, and I thought that she sounded a little sweeter. But I was mindful that I'd just put new strings on her and I'd not picked her up in a while. So I guess I wasn't sure if it made a difference? But maybe they did.........?

Thanks for the comments guys. I'm just glad I've got a nice 'sound' back. No doubt there are different quality 'bone' pins but each to his own I suppose. I've got a beauty of a 3 year old J45 that is better looked after than my family and is maturing very nicely. I also have a new Martin D28 to nurture and I'm in love with that also!

very interesting!

swapped out my stock tusk saddle and plastic pins for bone saddle and buffalo pins today AND a string change from the original strings to EJ16s--

was thinking i should prepare myself for harsh results! well it wasnt harsh and wasnt bad- but it was very different- really mellowed the guitar and im not sure which 'variable' made this change. but i have 'feeling' its the strings.

i like it- but i think the guitar lost some attitude- and i will be wanting to get that back! [cool]

so many mixed results and opinions on pins, saddles, strings... it does seem to depend on the particular guitar and individual.

havin'fun!

madhat.

Being influenced by the obsession on these forums about changing to bone pins etc i imported a set from the states a few years back. Got a 2010 j45 standard and was getting frustrated at the frequent need for string changes (d'addario exp 12's every 6 weeks). Had the current strings on for 6 weeks and the a d & g strings were dead. Bunged the original plastic pins back in tonite and my baby has her mojo back. Sustain, volume and clarity all returned. Beware of bone upgrades. I'm now of the opinion that's the reason why you get what you get from the factory. Anyone else had a similar experience?

I found the best tone by using plastic for positions 4, 5 and 6 and cattle bone for 1, 2 and 3.

I found the best tone by using plastic for positions 4, 5 and 6 and cattle bone for 1, 2 and 3.

Funny, I take it the other way around.

Assume you have 6 as bass -

But definitely support the idea of different materials.

As said before, it's the last fine-adjustment.

Some folks thinks this is 1 bridge too far, but thinking about it I believe one have to be fingerpicker to really get it.

When f-picking, the contact and impression of each note is very clear and almost isolated (when focusing) and there the difference between wood, bone, plast etc. matters.

Can't be bothered by the speckled look - I see it as a part of the guitar's personality.

Archived