Gibson Brands Forums

Limited Edition 1942 J-45 Banner

Red 333

I hope someday that Gibson looks back on this marketing era and chucks it and just makes a J-45. This ficticious J-45 will incorporate all that Gibson has learned in all it's years of making J-45's and it will be the best J-45 that Gibson ever produced. If you don't want a sunburst that will be a J-50 and it too will be the only J-50 they make and it will be the best that they can do. And so on with every model. And this current marketing era will be looked upon as an aberration, a time when marketing guys held sway over the company (and lots of other things of these times) and psuedo gradations produced some guitars that weren't worthy of carrying the brand's name. This era will get a footnote in the company's history like the one the Norlin era gets now.

Nah, that will never happen.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope someday that Gibson looks back on this marketing era and chucks it and just makes a J-45. This ficticious J-45 will incorporate all that Gibson has learned in all it's years of making J-45's and it will be the best J-45 that Gibson ever produced. If you don't want a sunburst that will be a J-50 and it too will be the only J-50 they make and it will be the best that they can do. And so on with every model. And this current marketing era will be looked upon as an aberration, a time when marketing guys held sway over the company (and lots of other things of these times) and psuedo gradations produced some guitars that weren't worthy of carrying the brand's name. This era will get a footnote in the company's history like the one the Norlin era gets now.

I don't know, I kind of like all the variety. If they never tried anything different how could the brand improve? It would be boring if they only had one kind of J-45. How would they keep all us guitar nerds on the board entertained? Does a bear defecate in the woods? Does a chicken have lips? Why am I asking all these questions?

I hope someday that Gibson looks back on this marketing era and chucks it and just makes a J-45. This ficticious J-45 will incorporate all that Gibson has learned in all it's years of making J-45's and it will be the best J-45 that Gibson ever produced.

Arguably, you've described the philosophy behind the creation of the True Vintage J-45.

Red 333

• 1 month later...

OK. I has been around a month since I took the prototype-1942 Banner J45 Limited home with me. So far I think it is the only one on the street? I see there is discussion of what to think about it. I think at first I was a little worried about the thickness of the neck. I now find it quite comfortable. So much that if I play it for awhile, then go pick up my AJ it feels TOO skinny! Who would of thunk it?

As far as construction, it is VERY light. The bracing and the adi top vibrate away and the sound is just beautiful. I think it has to be one of the sweetest sounding hog guitars I have ever played. Well done Gibson.

It isn't so loud you feel self-conscous playing it like a Martin CS D-18-12 I had. It is very balanced and the setup is perfect thanks to Marcus.

I did only one thing I hear is a no,no. I added bone pins, as I like the way the sound improves with them. (originals retained) So, if you are thinking about one of theses guitars. Check them out when they are available. I find it very well worth the money spent.

It will not see a pick up however. I have enough guitars with those. It did cause me to buy a darned expensive microphone though. So much for saving money on a Legend...

GT

This is a precise replica of the 1942 J-45, FON 923-45, that we used on the cut "America the Beautiful" on the companion CD to my book. You can hear a clip here.

I've not year seen the finished product but will remedy that in a couple of weeks at the Gibson Homecoming!

John,

Is 923-45 your guitar? I could not find it in the Banner Registry.

James

OK. I has been around a month since I took the prototype-1942 Banner J45 Limited home with me. So far I think it is the only one on the street? I see there is discussion of what to think about it.

It will not see a pick up however. I have enough guitars with those. It did cause me to buy a darned expensive microphone though. So much for saving money on a Legend...

GT

So glad to hear you are thrilled with that guitar - it sounded really good off the shelf to my ears. Haven't heard of another one out there yet either. Bone Pins? No foul.

I actually really like this idea, and I completely agree.

Quit marketing, and focus on quality control.

Do we really want to go to Gutair Center and look for the 1 out of 3, 1 out of 10 guitar's that cut's the cake.

Has that Gibson vibe? And then knowing the extra's people buy are going to be garbage?

Has it alway's been this way of making passable and excellent instrument's. Searching a major city and not finding the singer of the choir.

It's fine when wood's sing different, but not when there's dud's.

I want archetypal instruments. One like Nick Lucases own, where he fixed it "40" time's.

The J-45

The J-50

The Hummingbird

The 00

The Nick Lucas

The L-1

And then on the page you click on, have a custom option. A checkbox with different part's, finishes,

Most of the acoustic player's aren't searching forums to find the perfect guitar. They're getting duped by people at Guitar store's into buying a dud.

And truly i'd rather not have to research my way out of a dud.

At the end of the day, I want an instrument that sound's good. And most people want that.

For paying over a thousand dollar's we should have a decision in what's put into our guitar without the tonewood sparkling. There -has- to be someone out there that is a master at finding good wood, even a test. And even still, a dud shouldn't be acceptable in American craftsmanship.

For the extra part's and money, it would make more sense for us select few to get a custom standard treatment.

By this way, some people have to wait years or decades to find, let's say a rosewood backed 00 because every custom variation under the sun is being reproduced for a J-45

The worker's at Gibson are already excellent at what they do in my opinion. It seem's pretty feasible to offer a custom option, as long as it's organized.

You can buy a J-45 for example:

The model's are combination of body/bracing

And in custom

Nut/Saddle: Graphtech/Bone(+$X)

Pickguard: Standard/Other(+$X)

Glue: Standard/Hide(+$X)

Fret's: 12/14

Nut Width: three standard sizes

Burst:

Inlay:

Back/sides:

By Hand, By Machine

And perhap's not showing certain option's as they don't intonate well.

I don't know, i'm naive.

But the biggest issues I see are quality control and having more model's of a different style instead of certain model's even being produced.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The specs are:

Adi Top

Hog B/S

Vintage correct large round neck

Bone Saddle, Nut (and pins courtesy of Marcus)

Period correct brown, pink poodle case

Sounds just like it should.

And I am consider selling it. Contact me if you are interested. Just got in my custom ordered guitar and it has turned out to be my "holy grail." Need to clear some wall space. The banner is on the block.

GT

Period correct brown, pink poodle case

GT,

The case isn't period-correct -- it's more like "period-reminiscent" of a '50s case -- but that's a Good Thing. It is actually a nicer case than the "period-correct" red line case that came with the Legend J-45s (mainly because the hardware is much better) and far nicer than the usual "deluxe" AT/AB Gibson acoustic case. Assuming weight is no object, if you want a plywood case, this is the one you want.

-- Bob R

Thanks Bob,

I appreciate the "correct" correction! LOL. If any of you are interested in the 1st of this limited production, made for the presentation at the Gibson Homecoming in support of JT's book, "Kalamazoo Girls." Please let me know. It is in the case de-tuned in a humidity controlled music room, feeling awfully lonely. As I don't play it. Maybe played 4-5 times as a songwriting tool. Never gigged and babied. I may list it in the other thread if needed. I sure would like to see it go to a "homecommer." I am not pressed to see it go, it just seems a waste. I am not much of a collector. I lick all of my stamps, and shoot all of my guns. :) Blessings.

GT

Archived