Gibson Brands Forums

amplification for J35?

madhat

thought i would check in w the group here and ask your thoughts-

i recently purchased a Gibson J35 and it has the baggs element pu- i really know nothing when it comes to pu/amp stuff and just want a simple but nice little setup...

my understanding is that it would be good to get a pre amp for best results

so i am considering a lr baggs para DI 5 band eq- direct

and a fishman loud box mini

would this be a nice little setup? or are there better reasonable options?

thank you for any help! :)

madhat.

For best sound, plug into an acoustic amp. If you want to use your electric guitar amp, choose a clean channel, and you can run that. Carefully adjust volumes to get a good sound. If your pickup in the J35 is an active pickup (i.e. battery powered), you can run without a DI box. But if your pickup is passive, you need the DI box.

thanks for the help guys!

mostly- i will be just solo playin' and goofin' about the house... so from the responses i think i will just get the loudbox mini- plug in and give it a play- and go from there. [cool]

madhat.

My best results for playing an acoustic with a pick up, is to plug directly into an acoustic amp. Turn the tone on the guitar off (if you have one). Turn all eq off on guitar except a bit of bass. On the amp turn down trebles, mids, bass, dynamics etc to about 2 or 3 setting. I always strive for the 'acoustic' sound, hence no effects.

To make up for the loss of EQ turn amp volume up. I get a nice clean acoustic sound from my fishman tower or Fender acoustic amp.

I believe from trying to read up on what I thought an interesting personal possibility that the J35 lacks an onboard active electronic sector - no controls on the guitar either.

So there are a cupla things involved.

1. You're gonna probably want an acoustic amp since there's no "phase" control or equivalent on the guitar to fight feedback. My cheapie but marvelous Kustom 30-watter has a dial to supposedly cut the EQ in the area where you're getting feedback.

2. Yup, I've been using a very inexpensive Kustom 30-watt AE amp. 10-inch speaker. I've used it with and without using the mike channel with a variety of AE guitars and it works fine; it's worked very well also as a clean channel for archtops with mag pups. The amp has enough whumpf for an AE and vocal solo without extra PA reinforcement, and just as well with the guitar and voice, or just guitar or just voice went through the board in a 500-some seat theater auditorium. For rock, nope, but... we ain't talkin' rock here, are we?

3. Granted, all my AEs have active under saddle pups, but I've also done quite well just plugging into a PA board and letting whoever's running it mess with volume and I've messed with EQ on the guitar.

m

Archived