Gibson Brands Forums

NGD!!

heymisterk

I was patient, and finally, she appeared:

001_zps5907601a.jpg

I paid $1220 for her on eBay, which is about the best deal I could find, especially for the near-mint condition she is in. She has the SD Mini-hum in the neck, and it really adds some depth:

002_zps6066a5c5.jpg

I hope they get along:

004-1_zps3c5168a4.jpg

Honestly, I don't see the need for another electric guitar ever. I sold my one humbucker guitar, and have accepted my fate as a single coil guy.

... I sold my one humbucker guitar, and have accepted my fate as a single coil guy.

Except for that mini. . B)

Great looking HR Tele - very nice graining and match on the top, looks like one piece.

Quite the pair.

Congrats.

Heymisterk,you are no doubt a man with impeccable taste and certainly know an exceptional guitar when you see/hear it.My buddy bought one about 2 months ago and he brought it down to my place to run it through my AC-15 and JCM-800 stack.This guy is a dyed in the wool Les Paul fanatic and wasn't too fond of the sound of the Vintage Hotrod '52 Tele.He said that it was a great guitar but wasn't for him.That was great news for me because I was blown away by it,it actually felt so perfect in my hands that I'm sure if the Custom Shop measured my hands,fingers etc. they couldn't make one that felt so good in my hands.The sound of that Duncan mini-hum is just amazing and just perfect for doing some real lowdown,swamp music blues.Both pups combined is a unique tone that no other guitar could ever replicate and of course that special extra-wound bridge pickup can really belt out that icepick sharp tone that Teles are famous for and then some.

Anyway he told me he was looking to get rid of it and I snatched it up real fast.If anyone is hesitant to get a Tele because they're not too fond of single coils,this is the Tele to get because you have the classic Tele spank from the single coil bridge pup but you also have one of the sweetest sounding mini-humbuckers that you'll ever come across.

Congrats on the new addition to your guitar family,I know that you'll have many years of enjoyment with her.

Heymisterk,you are no doubt a man with impeccable taste and certainly know an exceptional guitar when you see/hear it.My buddy bought one about 2 months ago and he brought it down to my place to run it through my AC-15 and JCM-800 stack.This guy is a dyed in the wool Les Paul fanatic and wasn't too fond of the sound of the Vintage Hotrod '52 Tele.He said that it was a great guitar but wasn't for him.That was great news for me because I was blown away by it,it actually felt so perfect in my hands that I'm sure if the Custom Shop measured my hands,fingers etc. they couldn't make one that felt so good in my hands.The sound of that Duncan mini-hum is just amazing and just perfect for doing some real lowdown,swamp music blues.Both pups combined is a unique tone that no other guitar could ever replicate and of course that special extra-wound bridge pickup can really belt out that icepick sharp tone that Teles are famous for and then some.

Anyway he told me he was looking to get rid of it and I snatched it up real fast.If anyone is hesitant to get a Tele because they're not too fond of single coils,this is the Tele to get because you have the classic Tele spank from the single coil bridge pup but you also have one of the sweetest sounding mini-humbuckers that you'll ever come across.

Congrats on the new addition to your guitar family,I know that you'll have many years of enjoyment with her.

Awesome story! :) :) And thank you!

When I was getting into guitars, none of my guitar heroes ever played a Tele: Page, Slash, Angus young: they all played Gibson. I discovered the P-90 SG after listening to Pete Townsend, and that guitar quickly became my favorite.

I discovered the magic of the Tele on a used whim purchase of a MIM Tele a couple of years ago: I had never felt a neck so comfortable in my life. I then fell in love with the Tele Tone: the trademark sparkle, but - when overdriven - just a heavenly sound. What I really love to do it put the Tele through my Superfuzz and into my Mesa.

My love of the Tele shows the importance of being swayed not by whom you admire and their axe, but what guitar feels and sounds great to you, and what guitar you admire in your own hands.

When I was getting into guitars, none of my guitar heroes ever played a Tele...

Probably more of them did play some Tele than you realized at the time. The Tele is a workhorse and found its way on to many a classic studio recording. While it may lack the swagger of some of the other guitars, it gets the job done, and it is generally the one I will grab if I am only taking one guitar.

There was a period in the late 60s immediately before he switched to P-90 equipped SGs that Pete Townshend also used Teles almost exclusively.I remember reading an interview he did with Rolling Stone (I believe) where they asked him what his favourite guitar was and he said the Fender Telecaster because it not only sounded great but stood up to the beating that he laid onto a guitar during a performance.In that same interview he dismissed Rickenbackers as sounding great but being flimsy junk.He said that the Tele was the hardest guitar in the world to destroy.

Pete played a Bigsby equipped Tele at the Fillmore East one night and had left it there after inflicting a fair bit of damage to it during the finale.Anyway when the Fillmore closed for good Bill Graham auctioned off-for charity- all the memoriabilia that many famous acts had left there and among them was the Tele that Pete played that night and it only fetched a little more than the price of a new Tele,less than $350 if my memory serves me correctly.

After playing her for about three hours straight yesterday, I found one chink in the armor: When resting my forearm on the top, the finish feels sticky, especially when it's hot, as it has been here lately. Has anyone else ever experienced this with any guitar? I have to admit that I have not; not sure what causes it. Guess I will have to wear long-sleeves when playing!

After playing her for about three hours straight yesterday, I found one chink in the armor: When resting my forearm on the top, the finish feels sticky, especially when it's hot, as it has been here lately. Has anyone else ever experienced this with any guitar? I have to admit that I have not; not sure what causes it. Guess I will have to wear long-sleeves when playing!

Well...it's my understanding that the Hot Rod/American Vintage guitars have Nitrocellulose lacquer finishes...could be the culprit.

-Ryan

Well...it's my understanding that the Hot Rod/American Vintage guitars have Nitrocellulose lacquer finishes...could be the culprit.

-Ryan

Could be... but I have a nitro LP Junior and it never gets sticky. I've played it for hours on end and outside in Texas heat.

Could be... but I have a nitro LP Junior and it never gets sticky. I've played it for hours on end and outside in Texas heat.

Could be Fender's formulation of Nitro. Maybe they use less plasticizers, unlike Gibson.

-Ryan

Archived