Gibson Brands Forums

NGD!!

heymisterk

Heymisterk,I noticed the same problem of stickyness with mine so it must be an inherant problem.Longsleeve shirts are a good idea or you could apply some baby powder to your right forearm before playin.The only other option would be to have the sweat glands removed from your right arm but that's a bit of a radical fix.

Meh, I have already kind of gotten used to it!

Hey Bonzo...Is it common for these to have the "Fender Telecaster" headstock logo as a sticker, not painted on? Thanks!

It's been a decal since the Broadcaster in late 1950. For example, when Fender got sued by Gretsch for the Broadcaster, they just clipped that part of the decal off, leaving just "Fender".

-Ryan

Heymisterk, Fenders have had decals on the headstock since I don't know when,my old '65 Strat,Mustang and Jaguar all a had decal that was covered by a coat or 2 of clear lacquer and as far as I know,that's still the method used because even my most recent Fenders-a 2009 and a 2011-both have the clearcoat covered decals.

Hey Bonzo...One more dumb question, if you will kindly indulge me...

I changed the strings (quite the experience with the vintage tuners!)..and am now getting buzzing up and down the fretboard, but ONLY on the B string. Any advice?

and am now getting buzzing up and down the fretboard, but ONLY on the B string. Any advice?

Raise the saddle that's under the B string? #-o

That said, if the buzzing is only apparent acoustically (and not through your amplified signal) don't sweat it. It's just a shiny new string showing off.

Raise the saddle that's under the B string? #-o

That said, if the buzzing is only apparent acoustically (and not through your amplified signal) don't sweat it. It's just a shiny new string showing off.

I thought it was as simple as that but wasn't sure since it has those vintage saddles; but yeah I guess it doesn't matter.

AS Surfpup said just a slight raising of the saddle should do the trick.It's strange that the new B string buzzes when it wasn't apparent before.Are these a different brand or gauge than those you usually buy?If that's the case,they may have a different tension which would mean that a slight tweak of the truss rod would probably do the trick.

Re the vintage split post tuners: After about 40 years of using these tuners I have found a quick and novel way to string a guitar that has them that's much easier and faster than standard tuning pegs.After putting the string through the bridge etc. I put the string in the corresponding nut slot and then (while keeping a firm and steady tension on the string)give it 1 1/2 to 2 turns around the post and while still keeping it as taught as possible,push it into the slot and make the usual 90 degree bend where it comes out of the slot.If you have kept the tension tight enough you'll only have to make 2 turns at most.It takes a few times to master the technique but once you have it down pat you'll probably retrofit all your guitars with the old vintage Klusons.Cheers.

AS Surfpup said just a slight raising of the saddle should do the trick.It's strange that the new B string buzzes when it wasn't apparent before.Are these a different brand or gauge than those you usually buy?If that's the case,they may have a different tension which would mean that a slight tweak of the truss rod would probably do the trick.

Re the vintage split post tuners: After about 40 years of using these tuners I have found a quick and novel way to string a guitar that has them that's much easier and faster than standard tuning pegs.After putting the string through the bridge etc. I put the string in the corresponding nut slot and then (while keeping a firm and steady tension on the string)give it 1 1/2 to 2 turns around the post and while still keeping it as taught as possible,push it into the slot and make the usual 90 degree bend where it comes out of the slot.If you have kept the tension tight enough you'll only have to make 2 turns at most.It takes a few times to master the technique but once you have it down pat you'll probably retrofit all your guitars with the old vintage Klusons.Cheers.

For me it's always been: Pull the string tight, cut the string at the distance of 2 tuning posts past the one you're stringing, stick it in and bend down. Perfect restring every time, takes about 5 minutes for a whole set. My favorite tuners in the world.

-Ryan

That's the way a lot of people do it Caroline64 butafter all these years I still have yet to try it that way although it sounds much quicker and easier too. It's too bad that like most old folks,I'm too stubborn an set in my ways to change things now...lol.Cheers.

For me it's always been: Pull the string tight, cut the string at the distance of 2 tuning posts past the one you're stringing, stick it in and bend down. Perfect restring every time, takes about 5 minutes for a whole set. My favorite tuners in the world.

-Ryan

Once I got the hang of it, it wasn't bad at all. I have a bit too much string on the high E peg, but I will get better next time.

The one bummer - IMHO - is where the truss rod is: having to remove the neck to tweak the truss rod seems like a pain.

Once I got the hang of it, it wasn't bad at all. I have a bit too much string on the high E peg, but I will get better next time.

The one bummer - IMHO - is where the truss rod is: having to remove the neck to tweak the truss rod seems like a pain.

Yeah it is but vintage is as vintage does or whatever the saying would be. Sometimes the vintage saddles can be a pain too but the 52 reissues are just so damn hot I couldn't bring myself to change 'em.

Here's mine.

newguitars002-2.jpg

newguitars024.jpg

Archived