Gibson Brands Forums

What would you say this J200 is really worth?

merseybeat1963

Has been on ebay for a long time.

Told my wife if I sold the Persian carpet..not that anyone is interested..and my Martin..just dreaming really.

And she says, are you crazy..for a Gibson Acoustic!

Over my dead body.They don't hold they're value.

I guessing its worth $9k used..if it sounds good..(if it does not sound good its worth nothing as far as im concerned)

Take a look,what do you think?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1994-100th-Anniversary-Gibson-Custom-SJ200-/170930200146

While I won't hazard a dollar figure for what it's really worth, with Ren and John Walker signatures it's for sure you'll not see another one like it. Brazilian back & sides is a serious up-charge as well, as is being an anniversary edition. It has alot in its' favor for a high price tag. I will say I am always suspicious of 4-ribbon J200 bridges.....they always require special inspection. Someone will plunk down the required scratch someday. Good looking example of Gibson bling.

While I won't hazard a dollar figure for what it's really worth, with Ren and John Walker signatures it's for sure you'll not see another one like it. Brazilian back & sides is a serious up-charge as well, as is being an anniversary edition. It has alot in its' favor for a high price tag. I will say I am always suspicious of 4-ribbon J200 bridges.....they always require special inspection. Someone will plunk down the required scratch someday. Good looking example of Gibson bling.

The concern would be if bridge can go down low enough for the required action yes?

A lot of times its just a signature,not really made by them..but in this case its probably otherwise.

I like the inlay..reminds me of the Smithsonian.

The concern would be if bridge can go down low enough for the required action yes?

Pretty much, yes. You can knock the saddle down often enough to get the action to an acceptable level but at the cost of break angle due to the extra set of ribbons between saddle and pins. These bridges require a better-than-average neck set to allow much room for saddle shaving.

Only way to buy that is sell..and sell again...

My wife told me years ago buy guitars not carpets..I read every book I could on those dogone carpets.I was like a Capetholoic.

But it seems only dealers are able to sell the things,unlike guitars..ironicly rug dealers are not really very trustworthy.

Anyway the individual adj saddles are really something.. but they look like thay have even less leeway for super low action.

Think the price is what it should be?

Archived