Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
supermel311

Any updates on the new firmware release

All the "next level" hype had me pretty excited a few months ago but nothing has been mentioned since. I'm starting to think people were just blowing smoke to move units off the shelves. I hope you guys didn't think people were just going to forget about it. How about some updates on the progress and maybe an estimated release date?

Guest Professorbx

Gaaaahhhhh........they just released 4.0 a few months ago (it was the last thing I did before I left, launch was literally the last day in the office). Beyond that, Penguin and I mentioned the 5.0 release because people were pissed off that they didn't get what they were asking for in 4.0, and everyone was all worried that me leaving meant that development would stop, forgetting that there is an entire company there, and while I was the product manager, there were more than capable hands to take my place. Its coming, and in the meantime 4.0 fixed all current bugs, added a ton of features that people were demanding, and was a really freaking solid release. I've had betas of 5.0 since before 4.0 was launched-yes, it is mind blowing, yes it adds a lot of cool stuff, but it isn't going to make your SCS.4DJ a totally new machine. It isn't going to grow extra faders.

Let them get it right instead of pushing it out and adding bugs, as there were a ton of changes that require some massive testing.

I totally agree. It's more important to get a solid and stable device with perhaps not all the features in there, instead of a device with a lots of buggy features. However, I must admit, I check the site and forum like almost every day... twice... :-)

Right. But there are things that should be corrected as soon as possible, eg Beat drifting. Soon I'll have events where I will be playing and it would be nice to have a new firmware with improved most significant error.

I appreciate the hard work the team Stanton. I think that more frequent releases of important amendments were to better.

Sorry for my English, and I warmly greet the crew Stanton, you and all forum members

I'm definitely not expecting or asking for the immediate release of 5.0, lol. From my experience it's not uncommon for companies to promise updated firmware releases that never happen. Instead they introduce a brand new machine that costs several hundred dollars(or more) that fixes everything wrong with the machine it replaces. Progress updates are good for customer morale :) Could the programmers at least give a ballpark estimate of when they'll be ready to roll it out if. 2 to 3 months? 6 months? 6 months to a year? Maybe a hint of what some of the new features might be?

Guest Professorbx

I'm definitely not expecting or asking for the immediate release of 5.0, lol. From my experience it's not uncommon for companies to promise updated firmware releases that never happen. Instead they introduce a brand new machine that costs several hundred dollars(or more) that fixes everything wrong with the machine it replaces. Progress updates are good for customer morale :) Could the programmers at least give a ballpark estimate of when they'll be ready to roll it out if. 2 to 3 months? 6 months? 6 months to a year? Maybe a hint of what some of the new features might be?

I wouldn't know, but I don't know. I've straight up gigged with 5.0. It is solid as hell. That said, 1.21-2.0 had the crazy delay crash bug that was not reproduced for 8 months. Just because it is solid 99% of the time doesn't mean that that last 1% isn't going to be a bad crash. Give them time.

Yes! Delay crash was actually very annoying problem.I soon saw that when I press the lock funktion, the system restarts. Оbviously takes time to test all.

I wouldn't know, but I don't know. I've straight up gigged with 5.0. It is solid as hell. That said, 1.21-2.0 had the crazy delay crash bug that was not reproduced for 8 months. Just because it is solid 99% of the time doesn't mean that that last 1% isn't going to be a bad crash. Give them time.

Wouldn't the best way to test these unknown bugs be to release a beta version so more users can test the firmware and potential problems are more likely to be identified? DISCLAIMER: "This is a beta version that may contain bugs. Use at your own risk."

Guest Professorbx

Wouldn't the best way to test these unknown bugs be to release a beta version so more users can test the firmware and potential problems are more likely to be identified? DISCLAIMER: "This is a beta version that may contain bugs. Use at your own risk."

No. Million freaking times no. The problem is that 98% of users suck at beta testing. They can't file a report properly, or don't understand something and flood the bug report list with things they think are bugs but are user error.

Again, no.

Guest Professorbx

No. Million freaking times no. The problem is that 98% of users suck at beta testing. They can't file a report properly, or don't understand something and flood the bug report list with things they think are bugs but are user error.

Again, no.

Again, no.

You're right on that and just reading some of the posts on this forum shows that. Hopefully when the firmware is released it's all that it has been touted to be. I know no specifics have been given but I think most people are expecting cool new features and not just bug fixes. That would be like giving a kid a pair of socks for Christmas when he was expecting a PS3 :)

Guest Professorbx

You're right on that and just reading some of the posts on this forum shows that. Hopefully when the firmware is released it's all that it has been touted to be. I know no specifics have been given but I think most people are expecting cool new features and not just bug fixes. That would be like giving a kid a pair of socks for Christmas when he was expecting a PS3 :)

I promise it is not just bug fixes.

Cool... I wasn't aware of a new 5.0 firmware but will welcome it. One thing I'd love but don't know if they could add it (maybe they have already). I'd love to be able to go into the setup menu and assign some different effects to the effect buttons. I know you could do it via midi but the thing I love about the SCS4dj is no latency and you can actually scratch quite well with these. I've certainly recommend this to a few people over a laptop and seperate controller. As I said you can still use this as a midi controller so you get best of both worlds.

Guest Professorbx

Cool... I wasn't aware of a new 5.0 firmware but will welcome it. One thing I'd love but don't know if they could add it (maybe they have already). I'd love to be able to go into the setup menu and assign some different effects to the effect buttons. I know you could do it via midi but the thing I love about the SCS4dj is no latency and you can actually scratch quite well with these. I've certainly recommend this to a few people over a laptop and seperate controller. As I said you can still use this as a midi controller so you get best of both worlds.

I actually just let out a chuckle. Are you stalking anyone at the company?