Gibson Brands Forums

J-35 vs J-45 shootout

EuroAussie

Like many others here, I think the J-45 has more in the mids, whereas the J-35 is more focused on the lows and highs. This does give the J-45 a more mellow tone, whereas the J-35 is more "brash", as others have called it and for lack of a better term.

I recently A/B'ed these two guitars in a GC. My experience in person was exactly the same as what I get from the video, and what I describe above. The J-35 was more brash and the J-45 had more mid-range warmth. I was very impressed with the J-35, especially for the money. The one I played was a very lively, responsive guitar, and looked great, too! The J-45 I compared it against was a great guitar also, and was what I expect from a J-45. To me, neither was better or worse, just different. This is not a cop out, but true. I could see both of these guitars excelling at different things and it really comes down to personal preference. I already have a J-45, and think that the J-35 I played would be a great compliment to it.

agree the J35 can seem a bit hyper active when you grab on off the wall in shop.

the reins for me on the J35 included tuning down a half step, a switch to bone saddle and removing the stock string and replacing with strings less bright/harsh- (I will actually be trying nickel next).

but- these simple adjustments really made a huge sonic improvement for my ears- the warmth/balance you here in the J45- while still retaining the wonderful attitude this guitar brings.

I am truly honestly amazed and just how good this guitar is!

fun stuff!

madhat.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was at the GC in Plano Texas last week and had a chance to do an A/B with a 45 and a 35. While they were both great examples, the 35 had the tone and volume I prefer. Im a big fan of 45's and I've owned a number of them over the years but there is something special about these 35's. Perhaps one day, I'll get another 45 but for now, I'm loving my honking 35. It was fun to sit down and play the two side by side with on one else in the acoustic room. Can't go wrong with either one!

I have both the J45 and the J35. Both are great guitars, different feel and different tone for sure. But, just because I have had my J45 for the longest, and I have bonded with it, and it has opened up, I choose the J45. But, I really, really like the J35 also. They are different guitars I dont care what anyone says. I love the different tones of each.

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't had an opportunity to play a J35 but it doesn't sound bad.

I prefer the more balanced sound of the J45.

I think I would prefer the neck of the J45.

I know I prefer the J45 burst.

Red, thanks for putting this together, clears up a lot of technical stuff

UPDATED

To simplify the back bracing description, I'm going to describe them as Light, Medium, and Heavy in attempt to indicate their total, cumulative mass. Obviously, each of the four back braces may be relieved differently, according to their position.

Advanced Jumbo

Top Bracing Bracing: Wide

Back Bracing: Heavy

Top: Sitka

B/S: Rosewood

Bridge: Rectangular

Scale: Long

J-45 Standard

Top Bracing: Standard

Back Bacing: Medium

B/S: Mahogany

Bridge: Belly

Scale: Short

J-45 TV

Top Bracing: Wide

Back Bracing: Light

Top: Adi

Bridge: Belly

Fuller's J-35

Back Bracing: Heavy

Top: Adi

"New" J-35

Back Bracing: Medium

Red 333

• 3 weeks later...

The 35's neck.. to date is the nicest feeling and looking neck I have played.

But that's just me...

Love how light and how balanced, open and woody it is.

I do my finger picking on my LG2 and my flat pickin and strumming on the 35.

I never bonded with a 45 and I have played quite a few. A 5 star rosewood 45 is the best one out of the lot but that was ££££

Archived