Gibson Brands Forums

490R & 498T

scottffitch

Update....

I played a good bit. I found I hate the 498t with the screw poles radius ed or raised to match the string radius. Too hard and cold. I ended up lowering the poles ro flush or a little below the cover and had the pickup at about 2/32 from the strings. Clean and dirty sound warmer and fuller, softer.

I think I can do better however. This is noticable when compared to my DiMarzio loaded strat. The strat also had 500k pots and sounds bigger, more complex.

I want a similar output between guitars plus for sanity, I am switching out the 300k pots in all my guitars with 500k.

Rather than a pre assembled harness, or a kit, I may just install the stuff I have at home. I have a drawer of CTS pots and orange drop caps so I can convert it and then see what I think. Next step after that may be pickups.

With these pickups I am noticing a lack in complexity or harmonic overtones compared to my others. Even compared to the Burst bucker Pros I had and my Gibson Bill Lawrence designed HB set.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So in addition to my recent post tonight which is a complete 180! I think I am going to get a prewired harness so I can do less soldering and less hassle. I see plenty out there for under $50. I would prefer to find one that has pots tested to be at or close to 500k.

I personally don't think I like Gibson pickups with 500k pots but any of the after market pickups I have used would be fine.

I recall years ago I had my Les Paul with Burst bucker Pros and Stock 300k pots. Swapping in a high end, well known 500k wiring harness at the time, I thought sou ded bad. It became too. Right and shrill, almost harsh. That was one of the few times I noticed a big enough difference.

I like you thinking RR, I haven't checked the prices but definitely check the quality. I trust Stew Mac and they have several

http://www.stewmac.com/Pickups_and_Electronics/Wiring_Kits/Golden_Age_Pre-wired_Harness_for_Gibson_Les_Paulandreg.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=2016-04-gp&gclid=Cj0KEQjwl-e4BRCwqeWkv8TWqOoBEiQAMocbP_w8ZXOjrHTT8lg2GQxGR11PCzN3IJU7IDrMz7K_ZWUaAnDw8P8HAQ

If you do build your own use a bread board as suggested by Roach or something similar to above.

Also look at the above though thats pre-wired the parts are CTS etc. Now look at this....

http://www.stewmac.com/Pickups_and_Electronics/Wiring_Kits/Wiring_Kit_for_Gibson_SG.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=2016-04-gp&gclid=Cj0KEQjwl-e4BRCwqeWkv8TWqOoBEiQAMocbPydjd2HdFcRS-dp4w-aWbe8uySfak8RvfO5m-MixleYaAnM38P8HAQ

These are Alpha not CTS pots.

The 498 I adjust the poles similar also. The radius is just spec Gibson uses to get the pups in the spec-correct range. From there its up to you. Raising the middle polls gives more mid range grind. Strum the D+G together and you'll hear the balance also.

Here's the same as the first only without pre-wiring which they make a minimal charge for solder and fabrication.

http://www.stewmac.com/Pickups_and_Electronics/Wiring_Kits/Premium_Wiring_Kit_for_Gibson_Les_Paul_Guitar.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&u

No problem I have been thinking about doing my SG but its a down the road project as I have to much on my plate at the moment. But the 500K and Caps will take it to another level, sounds good now.

IMG_1056_zpsdr2t8r0t.jpg

Is that your own work or one of them prewired kits? I dont see the ground wire from pot to pot. That was hard to get, (the bare ground wire to the pot) without a proper iron.

OH RichRobGuitar, If you dont like that 498t I am looking for one... msp_smile.gif

The 498 I adjust the poles similar also. The radius is just spec Gibson uses to get the pups in the spec-correct range. From there its up to you. Raising the middle polls gives more mid range grind. Strum the D+G together and you'll hear the balance also.

How about the poles on 57 plus bridge p/u and classic neck p/u?

Thanks again guys,

Any suggestions on pickups? You know I am a hard rock guy. Think 90s rock and hard rock. Amps are Bogner 20th Shiva, PWE Event Horizon which is like a super up Super Lead, and a modded Mesa DR, modded to blend a Marshall JCM 800 tone with Mesa. This amp sound insane.

I was thinking of some Dimarzios like the 3 6th Anniversary PAF set, maybe some Duncans, C5, Sh16 Hybrid, maybe the Brobucker, Manlius, Motor City Pickups, and anything you all suggest.

Some guys say you want a thick midrange pickup for an SG, while others will say an SG has good mids, so something a touched scooped, meshes better with an SG.

Thanks,

Rich

Thanks again guys,

Any suggestions on pickups? You know I am a hard rock guy. Think 90s rock and hard rock. Amps are Bogner 20th Shiva, PWE Event Horizon which is like a super up Super Lead, and a modded Mesa DR, modded to blend a Marshall JCM 800 tone with Mesa. This amp sound insane.

I was thinking of some Dimarzios like the 3 6th Anniversary PAF set, maybe some Duncans, C5, Sh16 Hybrid, maybe the Brobucker, Manlius, Motor City Pickups, and anything you all suggest.

Some guys say you want a thick midrange pickup for an SG, while others will say an SG has good mids, so something a touched scooped, meshes better with an SG.

Thanks,

Rich

never had an sg but in my opinion, the best pickups for gibson guitars, are gibson. Afterall there wouldnt be a humbucker without gibson. I also have the viewpoint of thinking why buy a gibson guitar and not use gibson pickups, thats just silly. But I am far from the authority on the matter...i know nothing like john dead snow, Plus it sounds like you tried allot of different p/u's and something someone told me a while back , ONLY YOU can prevent forest fires, oh wait i mean only you can say what YOU like. I bought 2 les pauls, barely know how to play them, but i chose those guitars because of the sound and quality so i vote stay with gibson but try everything you can afford to try to see what you think, it is YOUR sound that matters to you\ and remember me if ya go to get rid of that 498t (heehee)

God Bless Randy Rhoads!

Sorry if that response is useless

one of them prewired kits?

No stock, difference is the 300k pots and caps really. Actually the SG sounds very good but it may at some point get a pot-cap up grade.

The Gibson pick-ups in telling the difference, probably the best place to start is with a multi meter and checking ohms. Pole spacing also for neck and bridge. Some have distinct markings also or tell tale signs.

I disagree 100%. Many I have taken Gibsons and Fenders to the next level with better pickups! Why, because Gibson does an OK job making pickups, not great. You can do much better. For example, there are so many pickuos that really let the tone of the guitar ring through. I think it is silly to think you have to stick with Gibson pickups. No way, I say make the guitar better if you can, and it doesn't take much to take a Gibson to the next level with great electronics.

My guitar tech is highly recommending the Dimarzio Steve's Special or AT-1!

Rich

I disagree 100%. Many I have taken Gibsons and Fenders to the next level with better pickups! Why, because Gibson does an OK job making pickups, not great. You can do much better. For example, there are so many pickuos that really let the tone of the guitar ring through. I think it is silly to think you have to stick with Gibson pickups. No way, I say make the guitar better if you can, and it doesn't take much to take a Gibson to the next level with great electronics.

My guitar tech is highly recommending the Dimarzio Steve's Special or AT-1!

Rich

i agree to disagree i think gibson makes the best humbuckers, hell, they invented them

i tried a dimarzio and hated it, dont remember which model dimarzzio it was

Maybe you are the jackson/ibanez type?

Different strokes different folks.

Just cause someone invents something, doesn't mean it can't be improved.

I am done talking about that, not worth it, personal preference!

So guys, any suggestions on pickups?

This SG is pissing me off tonight. Remember I fixed the pickup tilt? Well, the tilt is slowly coming back. The foam must be slipping. You would think Gi son would have figured out a way to avoid the tilt.

And of course now the bridge pickup is cutting in and out again. I went through this a little while ago. I can't tell if it is the circuit board garbage, or a bad wire ir short. I opened it up and reconnected everything and it is fine again...for now.

I am going to order the wiring harness tonight to get this thing out of this SG!

Guys, I am starting to think I may actually be a fan of the 498t. Any problem with me replacing the circuit board with a standard harness, but with a 300k bridge volume pot? Maybe I could get one of each, 300 and 500.

I read an interview with Joe Bonamamasa and he said if a Gibson sounds good, don't change anythin, not a cap, not a pot, not a wire, because you risk messing up what can make a Gibson great. Interesting.

Guys, I am starting to think I may actually be a fan of the 498t. Any problem with me replacing the circuit board with a standard harness, but with a 300k bridge volume pot? Maybe I could get one of each, 300 and 500.

I read an interview with Joe Bonamamasa and he said if a Gibson sounds good, don't change anythin, not a cap, not a pot, not a wire, because you risk messing up what can make a Gibson great. Interesting.

heehee kinda what i was trying to say

he said if a Gibson sounds good, don't change anything

Well, the thing with electronics/electricity=safety is not the sound but proficiency-mathematics , for example tube amps are not at all considered proficient, follow? So you see the discrepancy? Yes, No?

Well, the thing with electronics/electricity=safety is not the sound but proficiency-mathematics , for example tube amps are not at all considered proficient, follow? So you see the discrepancy? Yes, No?

did you watch that show sex, drugs and rock n roll? The guy goes to plug into his amp and hollywood throws one at the knowledgable , well its fake but funny, he shockes himself, he goes to do it again and shocks himself again, he gets knocked to the floor gets up and says, "whoah thats better than blow", then goes for another try before his crew walks in the room.

Then they are talking about how he died, to promote record sales, and he suggests how about if he was shocked by an amp they all think its a dumb idea...lol

Hey i learned not to touch the mic while muting your guitar strings, i know it can happen...

Ha, tou guys are too much!!!

I can't figure what is going on. The pickup was cutting out. I disconnected the connector and made sure nothing was out of place and now it seems fine, but I am worried it will happen when least expect it.

What if I tried some different pickups from Gibson, like a 57 Classic Plus and an Angus Young pickup with quick connect?

Ha, tou guys are too much!!!

I can't figure what is going on. The pickup was cutting out. I disconnected the connector and made sure nothing was out of place and now it seems fine, but I am worried it will happen when least expect it.

What if I tried some different pickups from Gibson, like a 57 Classic Plus and an Angus Young pickup with quick connect?

I am sorry if this seems controversial but if you havent tried these gibson pickups, how can you have formed the opinion that other pickups are better?

Just asking, but ill leave it alone now...sry

Yeah, I did try the Angus Young with Quick Connect.

Make sure you get the one with matching connectors for your board.

I spent a good amount of time contacting Gibson's customer care to find a solution.

First they sent me an adapter, didn't work.

And finally they had to send me an entire PCB.

Kudos to customer care, but that was probably the longest pickup swap in humqn history. Bit more than a month to finally hear those PU's.

Purchased 57 Classic and AY Signature together both had the same connectors.

And in the end I guess I didn't like the caps or the pot's on those boards, because to me it sounds and performs much better with the 50's wiring, Orange Drops and Emerson 500 pots!

But if the connectors fit it is a nice way to try different pickups in a few minuts.

Thanks bro,

What emerson pots???

I never heard a tonal change with pots other than with value. Caps too.

I tried the Angus years ago but recall it was n ot for me, a bit too bright and not as thick as modern sounding buckers like the 498. The 498, 500 and my favorite HB-L are probably the best Gibsons for me.

Not sure what to do. Maybe leave it alone for now.

I am really wanting to hear the 498 with a 500k volume however.

Thanks bro,

What emerson pots???

I never heard a tonal change with pots other than with value. Caps too.

I tried the Angus years ago but recall it was n ot for me, a bit too bright and not as thick as modern sounding buckers like the 498. The 498, 500 and my favorite HB-L are probably the best Gibsons for me.

Not sure what to do. Maybe leave it alone for now.

I am really wanting to hear the 498 with a 500k volume however.

They have a different value and I guess the capacitors too.

The Emerson Pro 500K Audio, I like em but read that others didn't. They offer almost no resistance when rolling.

Made by CTS to Emerson's requested specs.

Archived