Gibson Brands Forums

Neck Profiles

sundown08

Hi Everyone:

I have a question regarding the neck profiles on Gibson Custom Shop 1959 Les Paul's. When I look at the 1959 Les Paul Standard Reissue it says the neck profile is Early 50's Rounded. When I looked at the 1959 Factory Burst Les Paul it says 59 Neck Profile. This seems very confusing. Why does the 1959 Les Paul Standard Reissue have a Early 50's neck profile and not a 59 Neck Profile? Can anyone explain the differance between the an Early 50's Profile and a 59 Neck Profile. Any input on this would be very much appreciated.

Regards,

Steve

• 1 month later...

I know that early LP necks were quite chunky, as in thicker, the 59 necks however were a little bit slimmer, and much more rounded.

1960 marked the slimmest LP neck, thus it's called the 60's neck, or the 60's slim tapered neck. (I prefer the rounded 60's slim tapered neck)

But that's mainly what it is, there's a slight difference, I think somebody else can explain it better than me

• 3 months later...

Hi Everyone:

I have a question regarding the neck profiles on Gibson Custom Shop 1959 Les Paul's. When I look at the 1959 Les Paul Standard Reissue it says the neck profile is Early 50's Rounded. When I looked at the 1959 Factory Burst Les Paul it says 59 Neck Profile. This seems very confusing. Why does the 1959 Les Paul Standard Reissue have a Early 50's neck profile and not a 59 Neck Profile? Can anyone explain the differance between the an Early 50's Profile and a 59 Neck Profile. Any input on this would be very much appreciated.

Regards,

Steve

I know this is an old post buit I'll put in my 2c worth.I've got a 60's neck Standard and more recently got a '59 VOS.The 60 feels slimmer in hand.The '59 fills the palm more but is actually more comfortable to play.I have quite small hands and finger reach and didnt find any challenge in the 59 neck.I also have an Eric Johnston strat which has a chunky neck but again not trouble moving between any of the necks.

Archived