Gibson Brands Forums

Custom Shop Les Paul Standard F Translucent Orange

capmaster

Hello,

looking for a Gibson Les Paul with ebony fretboard, I found out that in the Thomann cyberstore were only three single ones available: the Peter Frampton Signature, the Marc Bolan Aged and the one I finally purchased.

It is a truly great instrument of incredibly light weight, but they told me that it is massive. OK, both of my Frank Zappa Roxy SGs are incredibly lightweighted, too... It sounds great with a sustain beyond that of my 2012 Standard and my Alex Lifeson Axcess. I was surprised about the tone because I had my doubts how a Dirty Fingers bridge pickup would sound like in an LP but it nicely matches the instrument's characteristics I believe.

I don't know too much about it except that it's a rare Custom Shop item. I also couldn't figure out what the "F" in the model name says. Perhaps somebody has some more detailed information to post here?

Since I am not equipped to take hi-resolution photographs, I post one of my poor quality pictures along with three Thomann copyright protected pics which had been accessable in the cyberstore until yesterday and show exactly this guitar.

3n0z.jpg

d8hu.jpg

xgyq.jpg

efmi.jpg

I am curious to learn more about it.

Thanks,

capmaster

What a beautiful finish and top. Great looking LP. Congrats. . B)

You mentioned an ebony fretboard, but that one looks like rosewood to me.

Never came across something called a "Standard F". Could it be that Thomann is using "F" to designate a Standard with a figured top? I've seen a couple of examples of that CS model at internet shops and they didn't carry the "Standard F" moniker that Thomann gives it. Here's one - http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LPCSTDTO

What a beautiful finish and top. Great looking LP. Congrats. . B)

You mentioned an ebony fretboard, but that one looks like rosewood to me.

Never came across something called a "Standard F". Could it be that Thomann is using "F" to designate a Standard with a figured top? I've seen a couple of examples of that CS model at internet shops and they didn't carry the "Standard F" moniker that Thomann gives it. Here's one - http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LPCSTDTO

The "F" was not shown at Thomann's cybershop but is written by hand on the carton label as part of the model name. After some space there is something more following but I am not able to read it definitely. It looks like "6 len" or so... I think you are right and the "F" indeed means "Figured".

I was in doubt about the fretboard timber, too, and I discussed it with three of Thomann's four certified Gibson Custom experts. We took a look to several guitars of different brand and origin, and then we stated by the graining that this guitar's fretboard is very probably made of ebony.

Interestingly, too, is that Thomann specified Burstbucker (without following number) neck and Dirty Fingers bridge pickup. However, the neck pickup is a relatively hot one, the bridge pickup is somewhat hotter than the neck pickup and a '57 Classic Plus but with clearer treble than the latter or a 498 T, whereas the '57 classics as specified for the item at Sweetwater would have remarkably less output in the bridge position as e. g. on my SG Supra. On the other hand, I never have seen before Dirty Fingers HBs other than with open coils and twelve adjustable pole pieces. I didn't read DC resistances up to now - I can't even take just a look to this guitar without playing it...

Okay - the model number. If you email Gibson ( service@gibson.com) with the serial, and brief description, and ask them to send back the model number. I've got a CS guitar with the model number HB013M (it's an ES-359). The CS model numbers often don't translate as simply as the Gibson USA model numbers.

Okay - the model number. If you email Gibson ( service@gibson.com) with the serial, and brief description, and ask them to send back the model number. I've got a CS guitar with the model number HB013M (it's an ES-359). The CS model numbers often don't translate as simply as the Gibson USA model numbers.

It's interesting what I found out via research using the Gibson model # HB461C on the carton which is quoted by Sweetwater:

http://www.shopping.com/gibson-guitar-gibson-custom-custom-shop-standard-trans-orange/info?sb=1

Those specifications do match that at Thomann's.

A match.

Out of stock - of course, that is a gorgeous LP and an interesting pup set.

Thank you very much, BigKahune, for your replies and especially your useful hints.

This guitar feels and sounds so great that I think I would have purchased it regardless of timbers, weight relief, pickups or finish. OK, such a top demands to finish it transparently, so I should better say regardless of colour... The result is a really wonderful one, and that is what counts I think. This guitar truly is a proof for the abilities of Gibson Custom's luthiers in selecting tone woods and crafting great instruments. By the way, my SG Supra and my FZ "Roxy" SGs are Gibson USA guitars that come rather close to Gibson Custom qualities in both playability and sound.

Perhaps the specifications changed during production as with my Alex Lifeson LP Axcess, too. It seems that I was just lucky to find it, no matter if it happened due to my fretboard material selection during the cyberstore search or anyhow else. I meanwhile have come to think it did happen this way just accidentally. Since the mid 1980s I dream of owning just one guitar with an ebony fretboard. There always have been so many other more important points that it never happened until two days ago. If my fate decided that this LP should not have an ebony fretboard, too, I would gratefully accept it and stay with this guitar despite of it.

Just have found this link from a big store in Cologne, Germany:

http://www.musicstore.de/de_DE/EUR/Gibson-Les-Paul-Standard-Figured-TO-Trans-Orange-S/N-CS200174/art-GIT0023703-000

They specify for the serial number CS 200174 "Palisander-Griffbrett" which means rosewood fingerboard in English, and they say that the pickups are 490R and 498T. They also say "Figured" in the product name. This looks as if guitars bearing the same model name can be very different. To my experience Sweetwater, Thomann, and Music Store usually do provide reliable informations, and those at Thomann and Music Store definitely referred respectively refer to a single instrument with a particular serial number.

• 4 weeks later...

Thought I should post an update.

The Gibson Customer Service replied to my inquiry for information about the specs that the body is both made of selected lightweight timbers and weight relieved in the same manner as with the Class 5 LPs. This process is referred to be something like a "Swiss Cheese" method with seventeen small holes instead of nine bigger ones. Clearly the neck's shape is the 1960s Slim Taper. The fretboard indeed is made of rosewood as BigKahune assumed, and the pickups are told to be '57 Classics, i. e. not a '57 Classic Plus in the bridge position. Interestingly the bridge PU's DC resistance reads somewhat higher than that of the neck PU.

Whatever, since a rather annoying dead A4 on both E1st, 5th fret and B2nd, 10th fret I returned it. I ordered the one from Cologne and decided to keep it. It's the same note that lacks here but not as much as with the one I returned, and it audibly gets better with time. It also went up half a note which I believe is due to the heavier string gauge I play. Both betterment and upwards tendency are according to my experiences with other LPs. By the way, the PU's DC readings are a little different but the bridge pickup reads remarkably higher on this guitar, too.

• 3 weeks later...

Friend, I am looking to buy this guitar in red color. I'm between Gibson Class 5 and cranberry Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul Standard Translucent Red can not find it available in stores guitarcenter usa. They say they have to make special request. Wanted to confirm if your arm is slim taper 60 and the exact weight of it. Let's talk. Hug.

Friend, I am looking to buy this guitar in red color. I'm between Gibson Class 5 and cranberry Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul Standard Translucent Red can not find it available in stores guitarcenter usa. They say they have to make special request. Wanted to confirm if your arm is slim taper 60 and the exact weight of it. Let's talk. Hug.

Hello Junae9,

sadly I can't tell you which finishes were or are provided. I wasn't able to find them on the Gibson webpage, too, so I asked the Gibson Customer Service, and the reply said the Figured Top in Translucent Orange was made in the image of the Class 5 LPs with light weight body AND weight relief. I also own a presumably modern weight relieved Gibson USA 2011 Standard Quilt in Regal Purple with coil split nowhere listed on the Gibson webpages.

Don't know if these both were special offers or special requests of some dealers around the world, but I believe they were special runs and only few were made.

I thought about a custom made hardtail LP with massive body and piezo option to complement my Floyd Rose equipped Alex Lifeson Axcess LP. I would have wanted it in Heritage Cherry Sunburst, including the current LP Standard switching options except the bridge pickup bypass mode, Fishman piezo Tune-O-Matic, active Fishman power pot in the bridge pickup tone control position and stereo output. However, the price was about twice a Gibson USA Standard, and I would have had to wait seven to ten months. Then the SG Supra appeared, and I decided to go with it. It seems that one-offs can be very expensive, even when finished in standard colors.

The neck of my CS LP F TO is undoubtedly a 60s Slim Taper (I say undoubtedly since my two 2011 L6Ses' necks are somewhat chunkier although they are specified as 60s Slim Taper, too). I can't tell the exact weight since I don't have precision scales at hand but it is approx. 3.7 kgs or roughly 8 lbs 3 oz. AFAIK this is typical for Class 5 type bodied LPs.

Hope this helps,

capmaster

How did you get a reply from Gibson Customer Service? They never answered my emails - I gave up.

Did you email Gibson USA or Europe? I did both - no reply.

Regards!

Edit - I am sure many enquiries get replies, I was probably doing something wrong but I don't know what.....

Thank you friend. Do you have more pictures of her? It is difficult to find real photos of it on the web.

At the end of the year will go to Atlanta GA and try to buy one. Hugs.

Unfortunately, I don't own a high quality camera, and so can't do HQ pictures myself. My pals who have such gadgets are all abroad in their vacations now...

How did you get a reply from Gibson Customer Service? They never answered my emails - I gave up.

Did you email Gibson USA or Europe? I did both - no reply.

Regards!

Edit - I am sure many enquiries get replies, I was probably doing something wrong but I don't know what.....

Having posted to the given e-mail address, I got a reply that presumably was from the European distribution center in the Netherlands, but am not sure.

• 1 month later...

Friend, I found that there was red in color and bought it. Soon we can exchange ideas about this model. His is orange?

Yes, mine is finished in Translucent Orange. As far as I know, the colorant is dissolved in the varnish, and not an insoluble stain applied to the woods before finishing.

Archived