Gibson Brands Forums

SG's: Opinions and Insights, Please!

darling67

Hello, everyone!

I was wondering if I could get some opinions and suggestions from other SG owners—with regard to a planned purchase of a new SG, probably within the next 3-4 weeks.

I've got my old '90 SG Standard which has been my main axe for the past 23 years(!). It has served me well, and I will never let it go. However, it is an older guitar and is having some minor issues—which just recently came to my attention. A friend gave it a set-up for me, but I want to "semi-retire" it at this point... and buy a new SG. Question is: WHICH MODEL???

As I said, I've got my Standard—with the standard humbuckers. Do I get another Standard with the same humbuckers, or do I look into a model with the P-90'? Seems that some of these limited-run SG's are not as good quality as, say, a Standard or one of the "Coil Splitting" models? Is that a misperception? I was looking at one of those 70's Tributes with the mini humbuckers a few weeks back. I might have bought it if it were brand-new, but it was a floor model. The sales associate told me, when I asked to see a Standard that was hanging on the wall, that "this is a MUCH nicer guitar than that 70's Tribute...".

Anyway, I'll wrap this up now. I am wondering if I should go with a P-90 SG—since I already have a Standard pickups model... which is still a functioning guitar, and still sounds great.

To throw an obstacle in the road, I recently began considering a Les Paul Studio instead of a new SG. Hmmmmm!!!

Any thoughts and info based on ownership experience would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

I own a 68 SG CUSTOM the white with 3 gold hiumbuckings she is a screamer and I love the way she feels as well as sounds.. THE BAD NEWS from a GIBSON FAN,, if you are going to purchase any and I mean ANY NEW GIBSON lay hands on her touch her inspect her and really go over her with a fine tooth comb GIBSON has gotten very sloppy with QC and build.. this goes for regular manufactured modes to custom shop... I think you will find that the P 90's are fine PU's but do not have the power or the intensity of the HUMBUCKING and I would look int the newer humbucking with the r t designation also stay away from the studio and go with a LP Standard or custom Burstbucker is also pretty hot.. PLEASE buy oe you play do not order over the internet... BEST of luck.. if you want a good idea THIS breaks down every LES PAUL they make if $$ is the deal LES PAUL JR SPECIAL with 2 humbuckings.. Great great guitar sound and player not much bling *)o(*b

I have been playing professionally since 1964 (48-49) years

http://www2.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle/Features/en-us/Les-Pauls-Which-Model-is-Right-for-You.aspx

Before I give any input I have to ask you..........What are the minor issues???

I mean if they are minor issues and only minor issues, then why the heck do you need a new guitar??? Unless your using the minor issues for an excuse to get a new guitar, then I understand the need!!!

I am not sure what to say to you here on this..It would be a matter of preference. Most SG guitars have the same basic body shape and feel but the color and finishes would be my choice on a new one. If you have the cash why not an SG custom?? I am thinking of going that route next time. I would also stay away from the coil splitting stuff because to me, if I wanted a single coil sound then I would get a real single coil guitar unless you go with P-90 style. Just my 2 cents, Tim

I own a 68 SG CUSTOM the white with 3 gold hiumbuckings she is a screamer and I love the way she feels as well as sounds.. THE BAD NEWS from a GIBSON FAN,, if you are going to purchase any and I mean ANY NEW GIBSON lay hands on her touch her inspect her and really go over her with a fine tooth comb GIBSON has gotten very sloppy with QC and build.. this goes for regular manufactured modes to custom shop... I think you will find that the P 90's are fine PU's but do not have the power or the intensity of the HUMBUCKING and I would look int the newer humbucking with the r t designation also stay away from the studio and go with a LP Standard or custom Burstbucker is also pretty hot.. PLEASE buy oe you play do not order over the internet... BEST of luck.. if you want a good idea THIS breaks down every LES PAUL they make if $$ is the deal LES PAUL JR SPECIAL with 2 humbuckings.. Great great guitar sound and player not much bling *)o(*b

I have been playing professionally since 1964 (48-49) years

http://www2.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle/Features/en-us/Les-Pauls-Which-Model-is-Right-for-You.aspx

Thanks, BR TOAD!

I work for a major retailer of guitars, and get a discount. So, I will stop in one of the local stores and check-out these guitars in-person. Thanks also for the info on the P-90's vs. Humbucking Pickups. I used to own a Les Paul Junior with the single P-90. It was a no-frills, one-dimensional guitar... but it was very cool and got a lot of attention from other bands when I'd take it out for gigs.

I can't afford a Les Paul Standard, Custom, etc. Hence my interest in the Studio. I do believe I will ultimately decide on an SG, however.

Thanks again!

Before I give any input I have to ask you..........What are the minor issues???

I mean if they are minor issues and only minor issues, then why the heck do you need a new guitar??? Unless your using the minor issues for an excuse to get a new guitar, then I understand the need!!!

I am not sure what to say to you here on this..It would be a matter of preference. Most SG guitars have the same basic body shape and feel but the color and finishes would be my choice on a new one. If you have the cash why not an SG custom?? I am thinking of going that route next time. I would also stay away from the coil splitting stuff because to me, if I wanted a single coil sound then I would get a real single coil guitar unless you go with P-90 style. Just my 2 cents, Tim

bigtim, you're on to me! I mostly just want a new guitar! [blush]

The issues I became aware of are primarily staying in-tune issues. My '90 kept going out of tune during recent rehearsals for a gig I participated in at work. It actually did ok at the gig… but the new guitar bug has been planted and it's too late to go back! [laugh]

Color and finish, and price are definitely a key factors for me. I can't afford a Custom. I'll have to go with another Standard, or another similarly-priced model. My existing SG is black, and I'm thinking along the lines of some sort of sunburst. Just not sure if the models that come in the burst finishes I like are still available. They seem to come and go! I'd also consider a cream Standard, but again… I think those were either part of the previous Standard line, or a Limited series and have been since discontinued.

Thanks for your input!

Below are the SG's that are in the running for me—some of them I do not think I'll be able to locate brand-new at this point, however—discontinued, limited runs, etc.

Well, since you've played an SG for 23 years, I'm sure you know it well.

P-90's have a fat and round, single coil sound, nothing like a Fender single coil.

They are excellent pickups, and a LOT of people here, love them! The new

2013 SG "Standard" has "Classic '57's," which (IMHO) are one of, if not

the BEST "Humbucker" that Gibson makes. They're about as close to old vintage

Gibson Humbuckers, that came on SG's in the early/mid '60's, as you can get...

"in house!" If you like a Maestro vibrato, and don't want "Custom Shop" prices,

then the new SG "Original" is the way to go...again, IMHO.

SG Customs are Awesome, as well...but "PRICEY!" The new "Standard" and

"Original" also have the early '60's (and '61 Reissue) beveling, and horn

tapering (FINALLY!), and are a joy to behold!

So, lot's to choose from. Check out the "Everything SG" website, as well.

A lot of great information, over there!

The "Classic" is a P-90 version, similar to Townsend's SG Special, but unless

you can find one, in a store (New Old Stock), you'll have to try to find a good

used one. Or, the 50th Anniversary "Townsend" model. Bare bones "basic" would

be the '50's Tribute SG.

Have fun, looking, and playing as many as you can, to find your "new baby!"

Cheers,

CB

I picture your Standard with full face pickguard and a 490 neck and a 498T bridge and a 50's rounded neck profile. The 2013 Standard is modeled after a 61 SG with a slim 60's neck and 57 classics. The neck pu's are close but the bridge pu are a bigger difference. The 2 models you post on your wish list with the full face pg are almost the same as yours except they have a baked maple fret board and they are a discontinued model, you may find old stock. I don't know if you work for GC but they have an exclusive standard model SG that's modeled after a 68 standard, it has the full face pg a 60's rounded neck closer to a 50's than the slim 2013 standard, it has open coil humbuckers, a BB1 in the neck which I think is one of the best neck pu and it have a BB3 in the bridge which is closer to the 498T than the 57, it also has coil splitting. The only problem I have with P90's is the hum, they can be a real problem sometimes. The fit and finish of the lower models doesn't match the standards, the lack of binding on the neck can be a problem with the fret ends.

Well, since you've played an SG for 23 years, I'm sure you know it well.

P-90's have a fat and round, single coil sound, nothing like a Fender single coil.

They are excellent pickups, and a LOT of people here, love them! The new

2013 SG "Standard" has "Classic '57's," which (IMHO) are one of, if not

the BEST "Humbucker" that Gibson makes. They're about as close to old vintage

Gibson Humbuckers, that came on SG's in the early/mid '60's, as you can get...

"in house!" If you like a Maestro vibrato, and don't want "Custom Shop" prices,

then the new SG "Original" is the way to go...again, IMHO.

SG Customs are Awesome, as well...but "PRICEY!" The new "Standard" and

"Original" also have the early '60's (and '61 Reissue) beveling, and horn

tapering (FINALLY!), and are a joy to behold!

So, lot's to choose from. Check out the "Everything SG" website, as well.

A lot of great information, over there!

The "Classic" is a P-90 version, similar to Townsend's SG Special, but unless

you can find one, in a store (New Old Stock), you'll have to try to find a good

used one. Or, the 50th Anniversary "Townsend" model. Bare bones "basic" would

be the '50's Tribute SG.

Have fun, looking, and playing as many as you can, to find your "new baby!"

Cheers,

CB

Thanks, charlie brown, for the advice and info on the humbuckers. I will check out the "Everything SG" site, as well.

You read my mind... I'd love a Maestro Tremelo! But $$$ is an issue. I'll look into the "Original". I really like the look of the dot neck, for some reason. Looks more "vintage", somehow, to me. Yes... lots of choices!

Thanks, again!

I picture your Standard with full face pickguard and a 490 neck and a 498T bridge and a 50's rounded neck profile. The 2013 Standard is modeled after a 61 SG with a slim 60's neck and 57 classics. The neck pu's are close but the bridge pu are a bigger difference. The 2 models you post on your wish list with the full face pg are almost the same as yours except they have a baked maple fret board and they are a discontinued model, you may find old stock. I don't know if you work for GC but they have an exclusive standard model SG that's modeled after a 68 standard, it has the full face pg a 60's rounded neck closer to a 50's than the slim 2013 standard, it has open coil humbuckers, a BB1 in the neck which I think is one of the best neck pu and it have a BB3 in the bridge which is closer to the 498T than the 57, it also has coil splitting. The only problem I have with P90's is the hum, they can be a real problem sometimes. The fit and finish of the lower models doesn't match the standards, the lack of binding on the neck can be a problem with the fret ends.

Diamondjig, you are nearly correct! My SG came with a pick guard that is somewhere between a "full-face" and the half-face. It comes into the pickup area but not all the way to the upper horn. I removed it several years ago, when considering making some modifications to the guitar—which never came to pass. I've lost it, and have been looking for a white replacement (original was black). Strange, I could not locate one that fit this SG! And yes, the neck is "rounded", as you speculated.

I do work for GC. I'll check out that model you mentioned. I look nearly every day (LOL!) on the web site, and am not sure if I've seen that one. As I've stated in other posts, $$$ is a factor. So, if that exclusive model is above my price range, I will have not noticed it—bit now I have to find it!

I am attaching a couple pics of my '90 SG Standard (and you'll also see a "Guitar of the Week" SG which I didn't keep—sounded too much like a Fender... and if I wanted a Fender, I'd buy a Fender!). You'll notice that, at one point, I covered the pick guard with some funky holographic plaid adhesive. The pics are not that great—hard to see definition in a black guitar.

And thanks!

my advice: play them all. Go with the guitar with which your all of your five senses fall in love.

try out the LP studio--one huge advantage the LP studio has that I feel is far too often overlooked: all mahogany construction. In my opinion, the all mahogany body that most SG's offer is what gives it that killer tone. Don't be afraid of the 490, and 498 buckers, they sound GREAT in all hog guitars. There's a reason they're (490R & 498T..) still stock in the les paul custom..they work.

I'm not a huge fan of the 60's slim profile neck, so the 2013 Standard I had, I returned, and picked up a clearance 2011 model SG standard--with the thicker "SG Rounded" neck profile..it's what I like. However, there is something to be said for having '57 classics as stock, so I say the 2013 standard is a must try--if only for your ears, they won't be let down..

I don't know much about the '60's and 70's tribute models, but I find it hard to believe that they would be of lesser quality. I understand that feature wise, you may find them lacking compared to a standard model, or even a custom, but the Gibson quality should still be there. But again, as stated before, try them all out. I hate to admit it, but I've run into a few gibbys that fell below what I would consider their best work..very similar to the guitars gibson was putting out in the early 80's--most were fantastic, but some had a few drawbacks that made them undesirable..

The beauty of any gibson is when you get it home, the salesperson may have a bit more cash than you expected to doll out..but you have an american made gem. In a time when it's a challenge to find quality american anything--we can always sit back, breathe a sigh of relief in the thought that our passion of guitars is best served by american companies. I drive a honda, so don't turn that last sentence into a catchall for my views LOL!

Let us know what you end up with--GAS is highly contagious, so post pics to help alleviate ours, and in some cases, the pics may aggravate our GAS...but we'll find a way to make it through..

-scott

scottfitch,

Yeah, I'll have to sit with several models and see what I think of them all. Ideally, I'd have all my senses satisfied. I love some of the finishes that are no longer available on the 2013 SG line-up. If I can't find a sunburst that I am pleased with, I guess I'd go with a Cherry finish—but those are so "typical" to me. LOL! Like I'd turn down a heritage cherry SG if it were offered to me!?

If I can find an SG (assuming I go with another SG, and scrap the LP Studio idea) with P-90's and a finish I like, I'd get it. We'll see!

I will most definitely share the love and post pics, once I have acquired my new guitar.

Thanks for the reply!

Also, don't overlook the "Double Cutaway" Les Paul's...especially the Special, or Junior...IF

you like P-90's! They have all mahogany construction, as well..and are very nice looking, too.

IMHO, as always.

CB

Thanks for the tip! I should broaden my scope, perhaps… and look at those double cut-aways as well—if I am thinking LP.

P90's!!! Get something with P90's! I very recently have discovered the magic of the P90 pickup (when I got my SG Jr). As Hank Williams would say "I saw the light." Right now I'm digging on 2 P90 equipped SG models from Gibson. The first is the SG Special 60's Tribute in either natural or black. The other model that I really like is the 50th Anniversary Pete Townshend SG. The new SG Standards with P90's are cool too, but right now, I personally like the smaller pick guards more.

P90's!!! Get something with P90's! I very recently have discovered the magic of the P90 pickup (when I got my SG Jr). As Hank Williams would say "I saw the light." Right now I'm digging on 2 P90 equipped SG models from Gibson. The first is the SG Special 60's Tribute in either natural or black. The other model that I really like is the 50th Anniversary Pete Townshend SG. The new SG Standards with P90's are cool too, but right now, I personally like the smaller pick guards more.

Twiz, thanks for your input!

I have to admit, I really do like the idea of having an SG with P-90's (as I've got one with humbuckers already). In the end, it will come down to what is available to me. I dig that natural model with the black P-90's, and small black pick guard. That's out of production, however.

The "50's Tribute" looks like a potential front-runner… but they have no pick guards! I like the "contrast" of a pick guard against the finish.

I'll take my time with my search, and see what I can get my hands on.

If I may make one more suggestion... Check out a SG Jr too if you get a chance. They are so fun. Mine is my favorite guitar that I have right now.

THose are single pick-up models, yes? I prefer the 2-pickup approach. But thanks! You have definitely got me thinking of P-90's.

As a correction to my post--

It seems the LP studios now have a maple cap. Still can't go wrong, for the price. Sorry for any confusion.

-scott

No problem. Appreciate all the responses and suggestions.

Wish I could get one of each—a new SG AND an LP Studio.

Well, I have come to a preliminary, tentative decision :lol: ....

I am leaning towards a P-90-equipped SG. I've got humbuckers on my '91, so I think having an SG with P-90's will satisfy 1.) my need for a new guitar, and 2.) my desire for a "different" guitar than what I've got in my existing SG.

The models in the running, then are below. I do believe the Limited Special (which I'd go after in the worn natural as choice #1, and then worn white for choice #2).

I can't believe they did not outfit the 50's Tribute with a pick guard!(???). WTH? If I get one of those, I'll need to look into putting a pickguard on it—if I can find one that will fit cleanly and not looked plopped on!

I'm sure it's a fine guitar.. But does anybody else find it odd that there's a '50's tribute for a guitar that never saw daylight in the '50's..? I mean, I guess I get it..but then again I don't.

nvm... just did some reading--believe it or not, some les pauls from the late 50's DID bear the SG namesake.....

nvm... just did some reading--believe it or not, some les pauls from the late 50's DID bear the SG namesake.....

Did they look like the SG as we know it?

So many limited run models… y'never know if they'll be around when you're ready to buy. I noticed there WAS an "SG Special Faded" with P-90's at one point (only offered in faded cherry, of course!) but is out of production. The neck had binding—unlike these presently-available P-90 SG's, which are neck binding-challenged.

But, yes... the missing pick guard notwithstanding, the "50's Tribute" looks like a decent guitar.

THose are single pick-up models, yes? I prefer the 2-pickup approach. But thanks! You have definitely got me thinking of P-90's.

Yep, with just the single P90. Don't rule one of those out yet. You would be surprised how many different sounds you can get with just the volume knob and tone knob. Here are a couple pics of mine. Cheers.

5068_100dpi_zps6327682e.jpg

5082_100dpi_zps66ca2ec5.jpg

Yep, with just the single P90. Don't rule one of those out yet. You would be surprised how many different sounds you can get with just the volume knob and tone knob. Here are a couple pics of mine. Cheers.

Very cool, Twiz! Thanks for posting those.

Hey, what model is that guitar, exactly? Is it an SG Junior? Are you happy with the quality of it? How's the neck feel? I see it's a dot neck, so it must be different from the neck that is adorned with the parallelagram inlays?

Hey CB,,,

As a Zappa fan I may be somewhat biased but,, I would take a serious look at the "Roxy SG".

If you want versatility this definitely has it. The write up claims that is still maintains the "vintage reissue sound" which

was equipped with P90s.

cut/paste from Gibson site.

""Zappa’s original SG Special was an early ’60s model with a fast, slim neck profile and the smaller pickguard characteristic of the era, which would have been made with P-90 pickups originally. While it reflects the heavily modified state of FZ’s guitar, the Frank Zappa® “Roxy” SG still functions perfectly as a straight-up vintage-reissue SG when desired.""

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/SG/Gibson-USA/Frank-Zappa-Roxy-SG.aspx

Don't let that msrp scare you off. Here it retails for $2200 Canadian.

I am in the process of figuring out how to get my left nut removed for this baby..

Archived