Gibson Brands Forums

Paisley J45 Legit Gibby?

jchadn

I think I have narrowed my decision to a TV or Paisley. I really like Adi and I have played both of these. I supposed if I found a KILLER standard I would go for it but here is my question... Would you guys consider the Paisley J45 a legit Gibson J45 or just a novelty? And I like both the TV and the Paisley... Do you guys have any reason why I should chose one over the other? Thanks in advance.

I think I have narrowed my decision to a TV or Paisley. I really like Adi and I have played both of these. I supposed if I found a KILLER standard I would go for it but here is my question... Would you guys consider the Paisley J45 a legit Gibson J45 or just a novelty? And I like both the TV and the Paisley... Do you guys have any reason why I should chose one over the other? Thanks in advance.

nut width for me

Well they are definitely a legit Gibson. The Paisley is quite a bit more expensive than the TV, though if you own one you would have a rare model. If money's no object then just go with the one you like best. I do like the look of the Paisley model though the narrow neck might be a deal breaker for me to.

How is the nut width an issue? I'm assuming these are fingerpicker issues, not so much for strumming...

Some players prefer a slightly wider nut width. Of course everyone is different if it feels comfortable to you then it's a non issue.

How is the nut width an issue? I'm assuming these are fingerpicker issues, not so much for strumming...

The TV has a 1.725" nut width. The Paisley has 1.625". Many players feel that the more narrow nut width is uncomfortable, hard to play. This is especially an issue for fingerpickers, as it impacts string spacing even at the bridge end, where you need room to get your fingers into the strings. Still, some strummers feel it is uncomfortable, also. Others, however, do not have a problem with it, so it is entirely dependent on your own comfort level with it.

I just found a used (2011) J-45 TV, and IMO it is one of the best sounding guitars I have ever owned.

And this from a huge Martin fan.

Only played one Paisley and even though I loved the look, the particular guitar I tried was not a

great sounding instrument.

Oh,

If it says Gibson on the Headstock and is made in Bozeman ....It's Legit.

Good Luck

I just found a used (2011) J-45 TV, and IMO it is one of the best sounding guitars I have ever owned.

And this from a huge Martin fan.

Only played one Paisley and even though I loved the look, the particular guitar I tried was not a

great sounding instrument.

Oh,

If it says Gibson on the Headstock and is made in Bozeman ....It's Legit.

Good Luck

I played one and had the same feeling about the guitar. Granted it was in a Guitar center but the standard J-45's sounded way better.

I have a 2007 J-45 TV that I love. I had the chance to play a John Hiatt and the one I played did not sound good to me at all. Hanging on the same wall was a Brad Paisley and it gave me the sound of my TV. Personally I don't care for the red sunburst or the narrow nut width. My advice is find a nice TV and buy it.

Ya know I've always loved the cherry sunburst SO much. So much that I wanted it to sound better but truth be told the two I played were underwhelming. The only reason I was about to go for it was I found a killer deal. I think I'm going to save my pennies for a good TV...unless I come across the most amazing standard. Keep your eyes out for me boys!

Ya know I've always loved the cherry sunburst SO much. So much that I wanted it to sound better but truth be told the two I played were underwhelming. The only reason I was about to go for it was I found a killer deal. I think I'm going to save my pennies for a good TV...unless I come across the most amazing standard. Keep your eyes out for me boys!

Good idea. I hate to use the term "dog" but quite frankly the Paisley model was hands down the worst Gibson I have ever played. I was very excited to try this model and was very disappointed. The TV's I have tried have all been superb.

The TVs are great guitars! You can't go wrong there.

Brad Paisley buys Santa Cruz guitars at Artisan in Nashville. I think that makes the best point. A J45 TV or Standard would be a great guitar that people would still recognize as "legit" in the future whereas a Paisley model could dive in popularity as the singer's career goes through certain stages.

A narrow nut on an acoustic guitar always says "made for electric player" to me and they are indeed more difficult to play fingerstyle on.

I saw Dwight Yoakam play live a few times and on one backstage visit I asked him where his Honky Tonk Deuce was and he said he had no idea. This is the problem with paying out on an artist model - if the artist doesn't even play the instrument, what is the point? The guitars we see people with on stage are often different from what they play at home. In Dwight Yaokam's case he usually plays a J-200 at home, so I guess that should have been his signature guitar.

So, as I ramble on here, my advice to you is to play the guitars side by side and determine which is best for you. Adirondack guitars take many years to fully wake up. A sitka top can come around in a few years. Adi sounds great right out of the box, don't get me wrong, but I am not entirely certain it is the best wood for a brand new guitar as I have had challenges recording newer Adi tops.

It is sometimes true that quality players originally learned on a classical guitar. The narrow nut width on a Paisley is less desirable to around 76% of players, I would guesstimate. That would be the kicker for me. Resale.

Do you want it because of the Brad Paisley connection, or because it's a different finish and spec set from the STD J-45? If its a specs & finish job, charge on... if it's purely because of the Paisley connection, I'd say you can do better and would suggest a rethink. The skinny nut will definitely mean you'll take a bath on resale should you go cold on the guitar.... although, that could be reversed if he records a great record, does something spectacularly newsworthy and then dies.

Beware of the Paisley - I played one side by side with a TV and in my opinion the TV put the

Paisley to shame. I don't know if it is because of that pickup that affects the sound

hole or what. Here were some of the tonal differences I noticed. TV has a more "vintage"

sound with nice mids, rich lows, and controlled highs. The Paisley seemed unbalanced

more highs, no mids, and tighter low end. Plugged in I preferred a K&K pure mini that

was minimally invasive and passive - so tone is controlled by preamp or your sound guy.

The K&K does not affect the unplugged tone and does not affect the look of your beautiful

Gibson. Plus I love the weight of the TV as opposed to the BP. All in all - it is only

my opinion you must play the two next to each other for yourself!

Is that the case that comes with it? Love the lining. Very nice. Shame about the skinny neck and hilarious up charge for an artist nobody cares about outside b-bender / g-bender enthusiasts.

Heard two of his records, some of the worst lyrics I've ever heard to be honest.

Is that the case that comes with it? Love the lining. Very nice. Shame about the skinny neck and hilarious up charge for an artist nobody cares about outside b-bender / g-bender enthusiasts.

Heard two of his records, some of the worst lyrics I've ever heard to be honest.

I believe not the case, sadly. Musicians' Friend advertise a case with blue plush lining, so more or less what we've got, PM. For the upcharge you might at least expect a Cali-Girl. There were some even cooler Paisley cases online with the pattern outside, but the site wouldn't let me upload them. The scratchplate appears to have a Paisley motif engraved on it, though - hadn't noticed that before now. Might be something if the replacement guard makers put out something similar - you could have the coolest thing about the sig guitar without the cost and the skinny nut. As for Brad himself, his songs are pretty processed, and that includes the lyrics. His electric playing is pretty good though, even if it's not what I'd choose to put on my stereo. But his song certainly wasn't the best thing on Bob Harris Country this Thursday. Whispering Bob played some Lucinda Williams and something even bluesier after it. Made poor Brad sound very artificial. And Shovels and Rope kicked live in the studio. I'd rather see them live than BP...

• 2 months later...

I believe not the case, sadly. Musicians' Friend advertise a case with blue plush lining, so more or less what we've got, PM. For the upcharge you might at least expect a Cali-Girl. There were some even cooler Paisley cases online with the pattern outside, but the site wouldn't let me upload them. The scratchplate appears to have a Paisley motif engraved on it, though - hadn't noticed that before now. Might be something if the replacement guard makers put out something similar - you could have the coolest thing about the sig guitar without the cost and the skinny nut. As for Brad himself, his songs are pretty processed, and that includes the lyrics. His electric playing is pretty good though, even if it's not what I'd choose to put on my stereo. But his song certainly wasn't the best thing on Bob Harris Country this Thursday. Whispering Bob played some Lucinda Williams and something even bluesier after it. Made poor Brad sound very artificial. And Shovels and Rope kicked live in the studio. I'd rather see them live than BP...

I think you may be missing something with Brad, as IMHO he is an outstanding player, singer, songwriter and vocalist who does move the boundaries but also has the capability to be true to his roots acoustically. I don't think Bob is particularly adventurous on a Thursday evening but at least its something for us.

Seen him twice live in UK and both shows were absolutely astounding.

But we don't all like the same things do we? my Gibson Paisley is played more than my J200, J16OE or Robert Johnson and I'm predominately a bass player !!!! so nut size not an issue, so if you find one of the 300 made it is definitely worth checking out.

Beware of the Paisley - I played one side by side with a TV and in my opinion the TV put the

Paisley to shame. I don't know if it is because of that pickup that affects the sound

hole or what

Is there a built-in pickup? I just looked at specs online and didn't see that. But even an under-saddle pickup, if installed properly, shouldn't effect the sound much. The kinds of difference you're talking about are usually about bracing, and the general weight of the build.

To the OP: if you don't mind the small, dark burst, look for an Original Jumbo from the runs the Custom Shop made in the mid 2000s. I've got a 2003 that is the best J-XX I've played that wasn't pushing 70 years old, and they're not cheap, but a really nice one shouldn't cost you as much as a new TV.

P

Archived