Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Menace

I am trying to authenticate a Les Paul Menace. First of all, it's not typical Chinese fake. It looks good in the truss rod area, the headstock seems right, the body shape is right, it doesn't have a metric bridge, the knobs are in alignment, etc. My tech and I agree the build quality seems to match what you might expect from 2007 Gibson. The serial number is 015070359

The problem is identifying the routings/cutouts/slot things coming out from the pickup selector and by the tailpiece. Judging from Google Images, there seems to be more than just a couple of different ways these routings are laid out. Did Gibson actually have different layouts of these routings? Or is one type authentic and the rest fake?

The guitar I have has these features.

A ) the two routing slots near the pickup selector…the top one is longer than the bottom one.

B ) the routings by the tailpiece…are long enough that they almost go out as far as the shaft on the bridge tone knob.

I have no problem finding Google images that match this layout.

OTOH, I have no problem finding other images where

A ) the lower slot is longer than the top one by the pickup selector

B ) the routings by the tailpiece stick out to the far end of the of the bridge tone knob.

There are a couple of other items that raise curiosity, but generally don't cause concern unless grouped with bigger red flags. For instance,

parts of the board look kinda like rosewood…yes, I know ebony is not all black.

the pickup cutouts are painted black…usually there are legible markings in there that help authenticate. There might be something there, and I just can't read it.

My tech started a thread on the MLP forum which has pictures that I'll try to repost here. http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/gibson-les-pauls/259248-menace-real.html A few people say it looks real yet have not addressed the issues I raise here.

I am really curious if anyone know some history of the routings, if changes were made to their size/layout. There is even a picture on the Musicians Friend website that shows it with no cutout routings on the face. Just around the sides.

Any help would be appreciated.

02589-albums-stuff-picture58093-dsc03220.jpg

02589-albums-stuff-picture58097-dsc03212.jpg

02589-albums-stuff-picture58092-dsc03217.jpg

02589-albums-stuff-picture58089-dsc03206.jpg

02589-albums-stuff-picture58088-dsc03200.jpg

02589-albums-stuff-picture58087-dsc03199.jpg

I am trying to authenticate a Les Paul Menace. First of all, it's not typical Chinese fake. It looks good in the truss rod area, the headstock seems right, the body shape is right, it doesn't have a metric bridge, the knobs are in alignment, etc. My tech and I agree the build quality seems to match what you might expect from 2007 Gibson. The serial number is 015070359

The problem is identifying the routings/cutouts/slot things coming out from the pickup selector and by the tailpiece. Judging from Google Images, there seems to be more than just a couple of different ways these routings are laid out. Did Gibson actually have different layouts of these routings? Or is one type authentic and the rest fake?

The guitar I have has these features.

A ) the two routing slots near the pickup selector…the top one is longer than the bottom one.

B ) the routings by the tailpiece…are long enough that they almost go out as far as the shaft on the bridge tone knob.

I have no problem finding Google images that match this layout.

OTOH, I have no problem finding other images where

A ) the lower slot is longer than the top one by the pickup selector

B ) the routings by the tailpiece stick out to the far end of the of the bridge tone knob.

There are a couple of other items that raise curiosity, but generally don't cause concern unless grouped with bigger red flags. For instance,

parts of the board look kinda like rosewood…yes, I know ebony is not all black.

the pickup cutouts are painted black…usually there are legible markings in there that help authenticate. There might be something there, and I just can't read it.

My tech started a thread on the MLP forum which has pictures that I'll try to repost here. http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/gibson-les-pauls/259248-menace-real.html A few people say it looks real yet have not addressed the issues I raise here.

I am really curious if anyone know some history of the routings, if changes were made to their size/layout. There is even a picture on the Musicians Friend website that shows it with no cutout routings on the face. Just around the sides.

Any help would be appreciated.

02589-albums-stuff-picture58093-dsc03220.jpg

02589-albums-stuff-picture58097-dsc03212.jpg

02589-albums-stuff-picture58092-dsc03217.jpg

02589-albums-stuff-picture58089-dsc03206.jpg

02589-albums-stuff-picture58088-dsc03200.jpg

02589-albums-stuff-picture58087-dsc03199.jpg

It's a genuine 2007 Les Paul Menace, nothing to worry about.

Archived