Gibson Brands Forums

Any one of you guys ever put something up for sale on the acoustic Guitar forum?

merseybeat1963

Tried once and the one guy who was really interested drove me nuts. One of those who kept asking for pictures that showed the essence of the guitar kind of guys. Then he wanted to argue with me that the bridge was replacement (it was not). I ended up just telling him I had decided not to sell it.

I actually went and apologized to the owner of my favorite music shop having had a good dose of what it is like to be on the other side of the counter.

I sold one on the AGF classifieds...buyer was a bit of a PIA with regard to minute details but the deal closed without a hitch. Sold four guitars and two amps (that I can remember) on craigslist without a hitch. The local deals were cash on the barrel head at my asking price..a couple long distance sales went without a hitch at my price too (one to Texas and one to China).

I guess I prefer Craigslist...

I have 2 advertised there now (including the Jackson Browne I have the "feelers" ad for here).The Tacoma has drawn a bit of interest but, as mentioned, all the pristine photos the potential buyers want to see can be pretty cumbersome. Or maybe it's just my crappy camera. I'm still thinking in both cases it might be better to list in the Chicago Craigslist as it's only 90 minutes from me and would save shipping costs for the buyer and Paypal fees for me. I have in the past met Chicago buyers halfway and there's a real advantage to having the buyer experience the guitar firsthand prior to the sale (no worry about them wanting to return it if they decide they don't "bond" with it and you walk away with the cash in your pocket with no worries about any potential Paypal dispute). Just my opinion though.

My wife had long ago told me...buy guitars, not rugs.

she sounds like a keeper.

I sell usually now on Craigslist and kijiji.

mostly local but somehow people find the Toronto ads from locations as disparate as Denmark & California!

Listed in all the Forums, but sold my last 4 acoustics on Craigs List locally! I recieved lots of responses, but found local saves time, shipping hassels, and the cash is handed to you!

I agree with LOCALLY is better...usually. Recently my last several listings on Craigslist seem to have brought out more than a few shysters.

SEVERAL immediately send e-mail saying they will pay my full asking price and their "agent" will be by to pick up guitar as soon as I furnish them my PayPay info.

I have never fallen for that, but read several posts from others to say how they got shafted out of PayPay $$$.

Anybody else seeing that scam in their gear for sale?

[confused]

I agree with LOCALLY is better...usually. Recently my last several listings on Craigslist seem to have brought out more than a few shysters.

SEVERAL immediately send e-mail saying they will pay my full asking price and their "agent" will be by to pick up guitar as soon as I furnish them my PayPay info.

I have never fallen for that, but read several posts from others to say how they got shafted out of PayPay $$.

[confused]

DJ.....I had the same crap sent to me each time I listed anything. So I'd reply with.."I know this is a scam, I'm sending your url to the authorities!" It stopped and not a one since!

I've bought and sold lots of guitars on the AGF. There is always some risk involved and like anything else it's possible to get scammed, but I have always felt comfortable with the deals and the people. Just do the usual checking around and be cautious but not paranoid.

As far as CL goes, I haven't sold any guitars but I use it to sell other stuff. You quickly learn to spot the shady emails that are obviously automated.

CraigsList...

..a few shysters."

[confused]

That's a pretty common internet scam, Craig's, AutoTrader, etc, but esp. CL. If you check Craig's "how to spot a scam" page, the phrasing DJ described is pretty much boilerplate, verbatum scam.

Very strange: I responded to a Craigslist ad for a guitar 4 days ago, and within 35 minutes, my email account had been hacked. The hacker attempted to send everyone on my contacts list a virus with nothing more in the body of the email but the words "How are you?", and a link to something malicious. Luckily, Yahoo quarantined it after they detected the first 20 or so addresses in the bulk mail takeover. Fun.

Notwithstanding that, I find that CL works pretty well in the <$2K price range. Much above that, & you've got to either be prepared to sit on a listing for a while, or use evilBay to cast your nets a little more broadly.

Archived