Gibson Brands Forums

Possible trade

Tober

Im talking to someone about a possible trade. It would be my LP classic for his LP faded standard. Both guitars are born around 2004. Mine has a tobacco Burst plain top his is a honeyburst flame top. Mine has the hot ceramics and his has the burst buckets. No mods or repairs to either guitar.

What are your thoughts

I have to ask,, Why do you want to do this?

The faded's finish is not going to hold up like the classic (which correct me if I'm wrong, is standard Nitro?)

I think the Classic is definitely a more valuable piece than is the faded.

Personally - I wouldn't do this.

Im talking to someone about a possible trade. It would be my LP classic for his LP faded standard. Both guitars are born around 2004. Mine has a tobacco Burst plain top his is a honeyburst flame top. Mine has the hot ceramics and his has the burst buckets. No mods or repairs to either guitar......What are your thoughts?

Time to be honest with yourself, for one thing.

Are you considering the swap you prefer the looks of the flame-honey over the plain-tobacco or do you prefer it because of the sound and playability?

Answer those points and you should have answered your own question.

P.

personally i would keep the classic but its all up to you. did you have a chance to test the guitar you want to trade yours for?

Yes...

Keep the "Classic," put in classic '57's!! I did just that, and have never looked back!!

It was an awesome (there's that word, again) decision!

CB

Well, to give an opposing view point, I love my faded. I've always been into natural wood and I don't like high gloss. Yes, the faded will wear quicker. I'm actually very proud that I've played my faded enough to have a wear spot just below the strings between the pups, which looks a lot like pictures of old bursts that I've seen. Plus it sounds and plays great. Every time I take it out to play, someone tells me they love the way it looks or sounds, or both. So, if you have an itching for the faded, you won't be disappointed. This has been an opposing view point. Now back to your regularly scheduled Classic love fest. [biggrin]

I have not played the guitar and am only going by looks and description. They both sound like they are the same guitar besides the finish and the pick ups. I was only asking a opinion since I have not played the faded standard yet. I really like my guitar, not crazy about the tobacco burst but I got a really great deal on it. I only payed $800 for it from some guy on Craigslist. I will most likely keep it. I just thought that I would be upgrading but by the sounds of it I wouldn't.

Well, to give an opposing view point, I love my faded...

Oh, I don't think anyone of us would deny the faded is a lovely guitar as well, Drew. But surely the main issue is how the two guitars in question sound and play?

As a matter of interest; when you were buying your Faded did you have the chance to compare it against a Classic?

P.

Archived