Gibson Brands Forums

nice ol' SJ

jefleppard

Yeah, it's going to need a neck set - not surprising. I don't think the bridge is original - they usually used belly bridges rather than rectangle bridges on the SJ. It also seems to have a couple of screws holding the bridge down. That's a homemade repair that you see a lot on old J-45 models. It also looks like it has some holes drilled into the sides of the soundhole where someone installed a pickup. Still, if you can get it for a good price, it would be a fun ol' guitar.

Ah, my favorite. Beautiful old guitar in what looks like great shape. A neck set would be normal and expected for one of these, probably a refret and maybe bridge plate repair. The end pin is probably a replacement. Possibly, the tuners are replaced also. My '49 came with closed Kluson Deluxe tuners, not open back tuners, and I expect it was the same in '48 (though not 100% sure about that). It's possible that the bridge is original. Although a belly bridge would have been the norm, you do occassionally see original straight bridges on these. If it's replaced, you could tell by a line in the finish at the lower side of the bridge. It looks from the photos that there is one, though it's hard to tell.

No matter, if anyone gets this, there are excellent repair guys who can make an exact duplicate of the original. It does detract a bit from the value though. Still, these are wonderful guitars. My '49 is the best guitar I've ever owned.

I agree about the tuners, I think they should be closed back. The bridge looks homemade. Look at how mis-aligned the bridge pins are. You can also see a little area in the finish beneath the bridge where the belly used to be.

48SJBridge.jpg

My '49 is the best guitar I've ever owned.

Do you have a picture of yours? I have a 49 also and I love to collect photos - there weren't that many made so my guess is there aren't that many left.

SJEbayFab.jpg

I like these kind of guitars-- but it's sure helpful to play them first!! There are enough cosmetic issues to scare off high $$ bidders-- and if you're just interested in a good sounding/ playing deal, you can be in luck.

The bridge is not only a replacement, it's obviously oversized. which makes you wonder what's under that sweetheart.

And the truth is: it might not matter.

I have an old J45 that was 'rebuilt' lately, except for the bridgeplate. It's oversized and rosewood. Both techs who worked on the guitar basically told me I would be nuts to replace it-- the guitar sounds great. And why mess with something that works perfectly well? I had to agree.

rscott, I do have photos, but I haven't a clue about how to post them. If you tell me how to do that, I'd be glad to. Thanks for the close up of the bridge. My eyes must be getting old, I couldn't tell from the ebay photos, but the close up makes it clear it's a badly done replacement bridge. Too bad, but not a hard fix for someone who knows what their doing. True too that you've got to wonder what's under an oversize replacement.

Hoss, I gotta agree that not replacing the oversize bridgeplate was a good call, especially if it sounds good. I know some luthiers who think nothing of replacing a bridge plate, but some darn good ones who will only do it as a last resort. Those are the guys I tend to like a lot.

rscott, I do have photos, but I haven't a clue about how to post them. If you tell me how to do that, I'd be glad to.

The first one's the most complicated, after that it's easy - you have to have them posted with a on-line photosharing website. I use photobucket - the accounts are free:

Photobucket

When you have the picture uploaded at Photobucket, it will provide you a direct link to the photo that looks something like http://photobucket/guitar.jpg.

Then when you want to post it here, in your reply at the top of the page there's a photo icon - it looks like a little picture with a mountain and sun on it. Click it and it will put two bracketed image blocks at the bottom of your reply, they look like this:

[img][/img)

Put the link to your photo inside the two brackets so they look like:

[img]http://photobucket/guitar.jpg[/img)

When you post your reply the picture will be there. If it looks really tiny don't worry, just refresh your internet explorer page once and you'll be able to see it normal sized.

Just as a side note, if you ever want to post pics from another site, such as Ebay, just right click the picture your looking at and a little window will pop-up. Select the "Properties" option. Another box will pop and you'll be able to see the URL address the picture lives at. Copy it and place in your post as described above.

Since those photos were taken, the tuner buttons have been replaced by period correct buttons made for Willie Henkes in Germany. They have a nice kind of cafe au lait color instead of that blinding white shown in the photos. The pins have also been replaced and are now white (also made in Germany to match the buttons) and are unslotted (the bridge is slotted).

FON # 2085 4.

rscott, just wanted to say thanks for the posting photos info. Much appreciated.

Wow, gorgeous! Looks like it's in beautiful condition too, the finish on the headstock looks almost new. Great guitar. Interesting that the your bridge has the upper belly, and mine has a bottom belly.

You can actually buy the cream colored tuner buttons from Bernunzio now. I bought a set for my J-45. I don't know why they don't sell the tuners with a choice of colors.

Wow' date=' gorgeous! Looks like it's in beautiful condition too, the finish on the headstock looks almost new. Great guitar. Interesting that the your bridge has the upper belly, and mine has a bottom belly. .[/quote']

You probably already know that these had the bottom belly bridge up to 1948, and then went to the reverse belly bridge in '49. SO, possible that yours is a "48? But then knowing Gibson, just as likely that they put the old style bridge on because they had one, or because yours was made earlier in the year than mine and they were using left over parts. You can never figure it out completely with Gibson, one of the reasons I love em.

Thanks for mentioning Benunzio. I did not know that, and yeah, it would be nice to get a set of authentic shaped black buttons and pins to match for the LG-2. As it is, the LG-2 pins are about destroyed and need to be replaced.

that is a sweet ol thing. absolutely beautiful.

Thanks Cunk, she is indeed a sweet old thing. All original finish too (I had my luthier check), although the photos make her look in a bit better condition than she is. There is for instance a fair amount of finish checking and dings that for some reason didn't show up in the photos.

TW' date='I'll be sure to do that, but sorry to say, it's not gonna make it for Christmas as I haven't received your check yet. I'm sure its in the mail, right? O:) (just kidding, I'd never sell it)[/quote']

Dennis-Said check will be delivered, at the stroke of midnight, Christmas morning, by rhesus monkeys on gossamer wings! Please put out some bananas before you go to bed!! Thanking you in advance.

Archived