Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson ES-295 (2013)

Rob831

I just took delivery a 2013 Gibson Memphis ES-295, from a reputable on-line authorized Gibson dealer. I have the following questions and concerns that I am hoping someone can help me with. The finish on the body of the guitar, underneath the neck and fretboard (between frets 17, 18, and 19) looks unfinished. It appears there is glue, sawdust, or some type of residue leftover from the manufacturing process. Is this normal? I can attach photographs if someone can explain to me how this is done. Also, the tuning pegs for example, almost look rusted or corroded. Does anyone know if this is intentional, so as to give the guitar an aged look? I thank you in advance for your help. Perhaps I am just a little nervous after putting out a substantial amount of money. ~ Rob

My L4CES looks the same way under the fingerboard extension. It's normal. Not sure about the tuners. Mine are still like new but gold plated. Enjoy that new beauty. How about a picture to show it off?

Here is a photo. (I'm just learning how to download attachments.) So as long as this is normal, I guess I can relax a bit.

post-1242-087754800 1371757112_thumb.jpg

The area on the top under the neck is normal. The sawdust just hasn't been wiped off properly before the paintjob. Most archtops have that as this area is difficult to reach, especially for machines. However, the rough area on the side of the neck just underneath the fretboard binding should not look like that. And the paint should have been scraped off the binding, too. But I don't think it's a warranty issue as it doesn't interfere with tone or playability. I guess it's just another example of Gibsons sloppy work these days. Just my 2 cts.

As has been commented, that area of the body under the fingerboard is often left uncleaned and the finish applied over it. I've seen some Gibson acoustics with the same type of careless finishing around the end of the fingerboard. I don't like it, but that's Gibson.

Sofaplayer made the call - The end of the fingerboard and binding is just plain bad QC. Shouldn't have left the factory like that.

And yes, please post a couple pics of the whole guitar.

• 3 weeks later...

Rob -

I have today received a very expensive (I am in U.K.) 2013 Gibson Memphis Custom Shop ES 175, black with P94s and Bigsby, which has exactly the same thing on the guitar top right beneath the end of the fretboard overhang.

I'm not sending it back, for the same reason as you wrote. That bit's not great but it's not a defect. I think it is where they hang it up to dry at some point in the finishing process.

Apart from that the guitar is amazing to play and quite amazing looking too! I will post pics before weekend.

The area under...no big deal. The area on the side of the neck looks like a butcher job. Get some good photo's and send them to Gibson. They aren't God you know. No reason to be "afraid" to have them check it out. Best case scenerio is you send it to them and they refinish the area, making it acceptable to you or they toss it in the firewood heap. Martin does this ALL THE TIME. Their guitars don't make ot past final inspection however.

Archived