Gibson Brands Forums

What do you all think?!

charlie brown

In a further quest, to pare down my "gear" to get even more basic,

and still quite useable...I'm thinking of trading in, my (lovely)

2 Blues Jr.'s on (1) Deluxe Reverb RI. Good move, or Not?[biggrin]

Trying to keep the "capitol" expenditure, to a minimum...otherwise

I might just trade one in. ???

What would YOU do...just out of curiosity? I've always had just a

tiny bit, of a problem with the "boxy" tone, of the BJ's. And, I

know, what the Deluxe Reverb sounds like (AWESOME!!) So...maybe I've

already answered my own question? LOL But, I would appreciate your

input, as well.

Thanks, in advance...

CB

Honestly, if you're tired of the boxy tone of the blues jrs., then it's time to find something that does suit your taste.

My friend is quite happy with his Blues Deville that he uses. While he can't use it full bore at home, he does like to open it up when gigging.

I'd say keep one of the blues jrs. for practice and upgrade to a larger combo amp or head and cabinet that meets your needs. Fender makes some great reissues at this time.

If you're really into upgrading, talk to axe as he has a great Marshall set-up.

Good luck.

Honestly, if you're tired of the boxy tone of the blues jrs., then it's time to find something that does suit your taste.

My friend is quite happy with his Blues Deville that he uses. While he can't use it full bore at home, he does like to open it up when gigging.

I'd say keep one of the blues jrs. for practice and upgrade to a larger combo amp or head and cabinet that meets your needs. Fender makes some great reissues at this time.

If you're really into upgrading, talk to axe as he has a great Marshall set-up.

Good luck.

Thanks, Californiaman...my "problem" is just in this (small amp) area. I have A HR Deluxe,

and matching extension cabinet, a Twin Reverb, a Vox AC-30C1, and a Marshall 1/2 Stack. So

"loud and toneful" is covered! It's "Bar/Small Club" territory, I'm "re-thinking." I've

even thought about getting (buying or having made) a new (somewhat larger) cabinet, with

say...2-10's, for the BLues Jr. Chasis. The amp, itself, I've always liked...a lot! Just

that small cabinet "boxy" tone, is getting kind of "old!" LOL

CB

I can't believe you don't have a Deluxe Reverb, CB. I'd say you definitely need one. [thumbup] However, have you considered an original silver face instead of the reissue? They can be had for about the same money as the RI and IMHO sound much better! Just a thought...

CB

Is your Twin Reverb a re-issue, or original

If its a RI how does it stack up to the original Twin

Reason I am asking is I have a neighbor who is selling his sons RI Twin Reverb that his son left at their house quite some time ago and told his parents just to sell it.

I have not heard the amp yet, but did take a quick look at it, and it looks pretty clean.

Only thing I saw was the amp cover was splitting at one of the seams, not torn, but just the sewing needs to be repaired.

I asked him how much, and he basically just threw a number of "about" $500.00.

I dont have a need for it, but for that price, I figured I could not go too wrong.

thanks

I can't believe you don't have a Deluxe Reverb, CB. I'd say you definitely need one. [thumbup] However, have you considered an original silver face instead of the reissue? They can be had for about the same money as the RI and IMHO sound much better! Just a thought...

I KNOW...it's a travesty!! [blush][crying] The good news is, there's NO hurry, in doing

any of this. So, I could (as you suggested), look around for a good Used/but not abused

Blackface or Silverfaced version. Then again...I have a great "amp tech," I know...that

could do whatever it took, to get the RI to "original" BF spec's. So...??? I don't know?! LOL

CB

CB

Is your Twin Reverb a re-issue, or original

If its a RI how does it stack up to the original Twin

Reason I am asking is I have a neighbor who is selling his sons RI Twin Reverb that his son left at their house quite some time ago and told his parents just to sell it.

I have not heard the amp yet, but did take a quick look at it, and it looks pretty clean.

Only thing I saw was the amp cover was splitting at one of the seams, not torn, but just the sewing needs to be repaired.

I asked him how much, and he basically just threw a number of "about" $500.00.

I dont have a need for it, but for that price, I figured I could not go too wrong.

thanks

My Twin Reverb is a 33 year old (1980) Sliverface 135 watt (as opposed to 85 watts, as the new ones,

and the originals, were) version, with the master volume. Now, before you "groan" in disapproval

....LOL [biggrin] , it sounds AWESOME! But, it needs to be really "cranked" to get to the sweet

spot, more than the original one's seem to need. With the Master Volume, you can work around

that need, a bit. So, it really is pretty versatile! Just "Way Loud," for any place (save outdoors)

that "I" play, anymore. But, it's been a long, and faithful companion, and I have no intention

of trading or selling IT! :)

As to buying your neighbor's son's Twin, for 500 bucks?! As long as it's in good/great shape,

and works properly, in all functions, I'd say GO for it!! Immediately! [thumbup][biggrin]

CB

Then again...I have a great "amp tech," I know...that

could do whatever it took, to get the RI to "original" BF spec's. So...??? I don't know?! LOL

Not so sure about that. Pretty sure it's done on a printed circuit board now. It would have to be gutted I'd imagine. He can, however quite easily get a SF to BF specs. And I've seen the SF DRs for around $800 quite often at shows.

Not so sure about that. Pretty sure it's done on a printed circuit board now. It would have to be gutted I'd imagine. He can, however quite easily get a SF to BF specs. And I've seen the SF DRs for around $800 quite often at shows.

Granted...but, he could do it, and he's "reasonable," as well. I will say, when I asked him

about doing that, he smiled and told me, "I can..but, it's not (really) necessary!" He's an

authorized Fender, Marshall, Vox, Boogie, Orange, etc...repair man. So, he knows AMPS...old,

and new. But yeah, he "could" totally rebuild it, with Point to Point wiring, that whole bit,

or...just mod a Silverfact, back to BF spec's, too. I'll cross that bridge, when I come to

it. I WILL try out, a LOT of Deluxe Reverbs, of all vintages...as the opportunities arise.

And, if I find one, I can't live without, new or old, I'll get it! I may (at this point) just

keep the BJ's, and get a different cabinet, and/or speaker configuration, for one, or maybe

both...in different forms...1X12 in a Deluxe Reverb sized cabinet, and the other with 2X10's?

Who knows, what I may do?! LOL Certainly NOT me, for sure, at this point! [biggrin]

I DO appreciate (all) ideas, and input! [thumbup]

CB

Charlie - I believe that the reissue IS a blackface circuit. But I'm not sure what the cabinet's made from.

If you're a pretty clean player, the DR is great, but there's no master volume, so.......

What's it gonna take to get you into one of these today? 6V6's in a nice full-sized real pine cabinet... [thumbup]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lt0P7T9bThI

Charlie - I believe that the reissue IS a blackface circuit. But I'm not sure what the cabinet's made from.

If you're a pretty clean player, the DR is great, but there's no master volume, so.......

What's it gonna take to get you into one of these today? 6V6's in a nice full-sized real pine cabinet... [thumbup]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lt0P7T9bThI

What would one of your tweed cabinets, ready for 2X10's, made for a Blues Jr. chassis run me? [biggrin]

CB

Cupla points...

I had a '65 DR. One of my biggest musician mistakes was swapping it for far more horsepower - and weight.

IMHO the DR is likely the most versatile tube amp in captivity. If you're looking for something else, fine, but for country, country-rock, blues, jazz and even running an AE and mike through it, it works well and doesn't break your back.

As for the perceived sweet spot, etc... in the old days I wore out a cupla volume pedals.

m

Pardon my ignorance, but I'm woefully inadequate, when it comes to Amp circuits!

I've always tended to just buy what "I" think sounds good/great.

So, you're saying that the DRRI IS the same circuit, as the Blackface DR, only

on a board, instead of the original's point to point, right? I keep hearing that

the originals are "The Best Sounding," etc., but I've never really had any real

opportunity, to test one, along side a new (circuit board) version. They both

sound Great, to me! But, then...not having tested them side by side, at the same

time, I'm not at all sure what the difference (or how obvious it) really is???

Is it (really) like "Night and Day," or...just percieved to be, because it's "old,

and point to point?" Could it be, that the old one, just has a better, more "broken

in" speaker, etc. Is it really the "point to point," or...are there dodgy components,

in the new ones? My old (original '64) Twin, and Bandmaster were "point to point,"

but...I don't (truly) remember, after all this time, what they sounded like, except

that I loved it! I love my circuit board 135 watt master volume "Twin," that I'm

(apparently) not supposed to love, as it's so "inferior???" to the originals! I

played it, right along side an old one, and it sounded just as good, to me..and, to

the owner, of the old one, as well. Although, his did tend to get into that "sweet

spot," a bit earlier volume wise, than mine did. So...??? :rolleyes:[unsure][razz]

CB

...Could it be, that the old one, just has a better, more "broken in" speaker, etc. Is it really the "point to point," or...are there dodgy components, in the new ones?...

Lots of variables of course. As always, you gotta try it and see if you like it. I tried the '65 DRRI and found it brittle and harsh. There abe buttloads of threads on the gear pages and Fender based forums comparing the two. Some say the reissues can vary considerably from amp to amp so you should try a few. I've also heard they can benefit tremendously from replacement tubes, speakers, caps and transformers. So yeah, the parts they use now are not as good as the ones they used to use. Also, as Fenders generally do, DRRIs are reported to sound better with the bright cap removed.

Well....on my next trip, to Wichita, I'll check into some Deluxe Reverb's, and...probably an AC-15, or 2

as well. I know they're quite different in tone, but I love both Fender and Vox (and, Marshall, Mesa,

Orange, HiWatt, Dr.Z, Matchless, etc....LOL) tone! Heck, they're ALL better (stock) than "I" deserve,

anyway! [tongue][biggrin]

CB

Hi CB,if you're not content with the sound of your B.Jrs. and they sound "boxy" to you,it is most likely due to the Fender/Eminence speakers.Although I didn't find the sound of my B.Jr. "boxy" I wasn't thrilled with the speaker-never was fond of Eminence anyway-and was considering swapping out the original speaker but sold it instead to put towards the purchase of my AC-15.A lot of people are putting Celestion Vintage 30s in their Blues Jrs. and finding incredible improvement in the tone.I have Vintage 30s in 2 of my amps and they are simply one of the best Celestion speakers since the original Greenbacks from the 60s. Fender is selling Vintage 30 equipped Blues Jrs now for a slight upcharge,I imagine that's because people aren't in love of the Eminence speakers.The Vintage 30 route would be another option to consider because B Jrs are fantastic little amps but they are handicapped by the rinky-dink factory speakers.Cheers.

Hi CB,if you're not content with the sound of your B.Jrs. and they sound "boxy" to you,it is most likely due to the Fender/Eminence speakers.Although I didn't find the sound of my B.Jr. "boxy" I wasn't thrilled with the speaker-never was fond of Eminence anyway-and was considering swapping out the original speaker but sold it instead to put towards the purchase of my AC-15.A lot of people are putting Celestion Vintage 30s in their Blues Jrs. and finding incredible improvement in the tone.I have Vintage 30s in 2 of my amps and they are simply one of the best Celestion speakers since the original Greenbacks from the 60s. Fender is selling Vintage 30 equipped Blues Jrs now for a slight upcharge,I imagine that's because people aren't in love of the Eminence speakers.The Vintage 30 route would be another option to consider because B Jrs are fantastic little amps but they are handicapped by the rinky-dink factory speakers.Cheers.

I have one, with a Celestion Vintage 30 in it. And, the other one (newer version III) is "stock."

I don't know...It maybe just a passing mood, with me?! LOL Stanger things have happened. I really

have always loved my BJ's, but lately...they've seemed even more "boxy" sounding than ever. So, I'm

really curious, about how a bigger cabinet would make them sound?

Anyway, thank's bonzoboy, and all other's...for the suggestions, and comments.

Always good to have other's ideas and/or opinions. [thumbup]

CB

I may be late to this party but after all the discussion and suggestion I kinda like your original idea. Trade the BJs for the Deluxe. As you mentioned you have the bigger venue amp solved with your Twin and Marshall 1/2 - it's the small clubs you looking to pare down for. The Deluxe is great for that and not too crazy to transport.

The alternative is to sell the reissue BJ yourself and use the cash toward a custom cabinet from Badblues for the other original chassis. That gives you a great upgrade on the amp itself, master volume and a quality cabinet for 2 x 10s. Not to mention his excellent tweed work. [thumbup]

Another thing you might consider, CB, is getting a Blues Deluxe and running 6V6's or 5881's for power tubes. It has a bigger cabinet and big trannies. You'd have to tweak the bias circuit a little to be able to bias the 6V6's. I know you have a HRD, but they're really a hotter circuit than the BDR and not as sweet sounding.

Archived