Gibson Brands Forums

Played a Standard J45 at GC yesterday

larryplatz

Was at my local GC yesterday for some other things and the Guitar department manager told me he had a couple Gibsons in back I should check out. I pulled a new Standard J45 off the wall, not expecting much. Wow! I have played several of the TV series, but I gotta say this thing was at least as good as what I recall of them. Maybe it was just a rare one, but man did it sound sweet. I probably shouldn't have played it as I'm in the process of thinning the herd (and bringing in some much needed cash for medical bills-cancer ain't cheap, unfortunately). But after the rap they seem to get from a lot of guys, I just have to say there are obviously some really good ones out there.

My experience has been that 90% of the time the TV will have a stronger tone, but I did play a couple J-45 Standards that were in that special 10% and they were brilliant, ready to be taken home without a second thought.

Same thing happened to me. Was at GC in Manhatten and played J-45 TV next to a standard one. I bought the standard over the TV. If both guitars were priced same, I probably would have taken the TV. To me the price difference wasn't justified this time. I feel very lucky to find this new J-45.

Same here. Was on the fence between the J-45 and a Martin D-18. Had played a few pretty nice D-18's and was still on the fence. Then I went to GC and played a few guitars in their "nice" room. The J-45 standard they had on the floor blew away that particular D-18 (I still think it's a great guitar). Then I played the J-45 TV, and I can honestly say that I preferred the standard (that was the only TV I ever played). Since I wasn't ready to pay the premium anyway it was a no brainer. But, I wanted to know what all the fuss was about. I'm guessing I got one of the 10% standards. At least it felt that way to me on that day.

I get to play a lot of different Gibson's at the local GC and I've found them to be relatively consistent with many being very good and others outstanding. I've bought a number of Gibson's sight unseen and have yet to be disappointed. I don't doubt there are less than stellar examples out there but it's interesting I've not run into one. I've owned a number of 45's over the years along with a TV - all great Guitars.

Archived