Gibson Brands Forums

Which J45? Gonna play it cool

jchadn

After all of my reading I am going to play it cool with regard to my J45 purchase. Gonna hang on to my money until one GRABS me. Cooled on the Paisley even tho I love the cherry burst. I didn't like the way it sounded and I certainly didn't want to spend that much. Thought I had landed on the TV because I have a D18 style dread with adi and I love it. BUT I had a great J45 standard that was the shiz. Unless I come across the deal of the century I'm gonna keep my cash handy and try and find one that grabs me in person. The problem...who knew it would be so hard to find a used J45 in Houston...the 4th largest city in the country. O well. Here's to the hunt, and hoping it won't take long.

After all of my reading I am going to play it cool with regard to my J45 purchase. Gonna hang on to my money until one GRABS me. Cooled on the Paisley even tho I love the cherry burst. I didn't like the way it sounded and I certainly didn't want to spend that much. Thought I had landed on the TV because I have a D18 style dread with adi and I love it. BUT I had a great J45 standard that was the shiz. Unless I come across the deal of the century I'm gonna keep my cash handy and try and find one that grabs me in person. The problem...who knew it would be so hard to find a used J45 in Houston...the 4th largest city in the country. O well. Here's to the hunt, and hoping it won't take long.

That's how you do it. Just wait until one grabs you. It WILL happen. I assume you have been to Fullers in Houston. If you haven't played the right one yet, then just wait. Go down there and talk to Yano. Tell him Keith at Bailey Brothers sent you. Have him keep an eye out and call you when something awesome comes in. He will take care of you. Be patient and "the one" will come!

I've played a few TVs and I like them okay, but the other day I was at my local GC and played a standard and to be honest (in my opinion) it was superior to the 2 TV's I've played and nearly bought. So, I guess there is some difference form guitar to guitar. Speaking of grabbing you, my vintage guitar dealer friend had a '53 J50 which someone had stripped the original finish from. He added a bit of finish to seal the wood back up. I made the "mistake" of playing it for 5 minutes and immediately traded my '65 J50 for it. No regrets yet. Keep looking-you'll find "the one".

I am sitting in a very nice place as I own a J-50 that I am so fond of I have not one ounce of interest in getting any other round shoulder jumbo.

It is strange but in my neck of the woods I can get my hands on a 1950s Gibson a whole lot easier than a new/newish one. I will run across three 1950s SJs before I ever see a Bozeman-made one.

I always scratch my head a bit when folks go out and buy the first of whatever guitar they run across. I think what drives them is the fear that they will not run across another one, at least for a good long while. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush kinda thing.

So yeah, put on your poker face and take your time. If nothing else the hunt is always a lot of fun.

Hi. I live in Houston, also. I have long been amazed at the lack of availability of used guitars in this city. If you want used or vintage guitars, you are pretty much out of luck! Rockin' Robin usually has a few used guitars of varying condition. The Guitar Center on Westheimer has a handful.

Fullers is a great store, but even they have taken the word "Vintage" out of their name. They never have used or vintage guitars.

I try to get up to Dallas once a year for one of the two big annual guitar shows. At least there I get to play some vintage stuff!

I have never checked out Craigslist or things like that, but might be worth a look.

Good luck, and take your time!

J-45 TV - I LOVE mine. I have spent over 3 years looking and the tone of these beasts is

just simply the best. Minimal "bling" which means Gibson is solely focusing on the tone.

To me that is what it is all about and they nail the "vintage" tone in these guitars -

not to mention you can just feel the handwork that went into one of these guitars. To

me it has a different vibe than my other Gibson's. I agree with you on the Brad Paisley

- I did not like that guitar at all. I installed a K&K pure mini in my J45TV and it

sounded better and did not have a nasty sound hole addition. This video by acoustic

newsletter helped me to nail down my convictions too - think you might like it. Last

food for thought - those tuners are amazing at staying in tune live - like wayyyy better

than my other Gibson's - and they look better (in my humble opinion \:D/ )

J-45 TV - I LOVE mine. I have spent over 3 years looking and the tone of these beasts is

just simply the best. Minimal "bling" which means Gibson is solely focusing on the tone.

To me that is what it is all about and they nail the "vintage" tone in these guitars -

not to mention you can just feel the handwork that went into one of these guitars. To

me it has a different vibe than my other Gibson's. I agree with you on the Brad Paisley

- I did not like that guitar at all. I installed a K&K pure mini in my J45TV and it

sounded better and did not have a nasty sound hole addition. This video by acoustic

newsletter helped me to nail down my convictions too - think you might like it. Last

food for thought - those tuners are amazing at staying in tune live - like wayyyy better

than my other Gibson's - and they look better (in my humble opinion \:D/ )

Hmmm. I think that Tony was talking up the difference a bit there. There is a clear difference, but they are both clearly nice Gibson slopes made of mahogany and spruce. I actually like the Standard more here - it has stronger bass and mids for my money. Odd, given that the advanced bracing on the TV is often said to produce more bass. The TV does sound somewhat scooped in the mids, but it's the trebles which stand out as a result, not the bass. Perhaps it's just that the Sitka is more awake at this point in time than the Adirondack. They clearly both have a voice that will appeal to somebody. But here I'd have bought the Standard. If you want the vintage Klusons, the banner and the VOS finish, but the tone of the Standard, try the Woody Guthrie SJ. (I'm keeping mine, though!)

If you dig the cherry sunburst finish you can also look for this one:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gibson-icon-60s-j-45-sunburst-acoustic-guitar/513966000039000

I played one of those in the local music store and the particular model was just one of the best Gibsons they had there. In fact it was the best j-45 they had, better than the standard and way better the the TV. This is of course not a general rule but a pretty singular and subjective experience. I know the adjustable bridge is something that is looked down upon by most people, but in my actual case, I did not have the feeling, that it had a bad impact on the sound.

Archived