Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mozzy

Solid State Drives (SSD)

Hi Guys,

I have a 32gb Patriot Rage USB drive with with my SCS, and it performs well, but as I have several thousand songs on there it takes the unit nearly 5 minutes to boot up. Plus navigating menus can still be sluggish.

I have a fear that the unit may crash on me during a gig (i have had an occasional crash, quite rare, when practisiing, but never during a live gig thank goodness) and I will have a lengthy wait to get the unit back up and running. Meanwhile I have an audience waiting in silence!

I keep a separate memory stick with a much small number of songs on it for a quicker reboot if this happens.

Does anyone know if upgrading to an SSD drive would offer better performance? Would there be any noticeable benefit in using an SSD drive instead. I guess it will still be limited to the speed of the USB2.0 port, so wasn't sure whether the additional investment would be worth it?

I seem to recall ProfessorBX had both an SSD and Patriot Rage USB stick with his unit - did he ever give an opinion as to which performed best, especially with large collections?

Any experiences would be gratefully received.

1371931974[/url]' post='1390473']

Hi Guys,

I have a 32gb Patriot Rage USB drive with with my SCS, and it performs well, but as I have several thousand songs on there it takes the unit nearly 5 minutes to boot up. Plus navigating menus can still be sluggish.

I have a fear that the unit may crash on me during a gig (i have had an occasional crash, quite rare, when practisiing, but never during a live gig thank goodness) and I will have a lengthy wait to get the unit back up and running. Meanwhile I have an audience waiting in silence!

I keep a separate memory stick with a much small number of songs on it for a quicker reboot if this happens.

Does anyone know if upgrading to an SSD drive would offer better performance? Would there be any noticeable benefit in using an SSD drive instead. I guess it will still be limited to the speed of the USB2.0 port, so wasn't sure whether the additional investment would be worth it?

I seem to recall ProfessorBX had both an SSD and Patriot Rage USB stick with his unit - did he ever give an opinion as to which performed best, especially with large collections?

Any experiences would be gratefully received.

In my experience, it made a noticeable difference when I switched from a USB flash drive over to an SSD drive. Especially when it came to boot up time and that initial period when it's scanning through your folders to display your individual playlists. I would point out though, that I did not have a flash drive of the same caliber as your. Mine only tested at about 20mb read speed and about 9mb write speed. The only time this really matters though is when it comes to transferring files to/from the drive. It seems tome that the drivers in the SCS.4DJ are the deciding factor when incomes to efficiently using any type of device connecting to, as well as the library/device size. I upgraded from a 32gb flash drive to a 128gb SSD. I think at the end of it all, your individual experience is what will give you the answer you're looking for. Professor BX had great results but he preferred a particular brand and you also have to consider the size/bitrate of your tracks.

Unless you feel like you need to upgrade, I would stick with what you have. However, if you feel that you need the extra space and are having issues with freezing (you mentioned a crash during practive sessions), I would do the upgrade and get a decent enclosure for it. I bought a USB3.0 enclosure but it doesn't matter because the unit throttles it down to the USB2.0 speed.

Guest Professorbx

In my experience, it made a noticeable difference when I switched from a USB flash drive over to an SSD drive. Especially when it came to boot up time and that initial period when it's scanning through your folders to display your individual playlists. I would point out though, that I did not have a flash drive of the same caliber as your. Mine only tested at about 20mb read speed and about 9mb write speed. The only time this really matters though is when it comes to transferring files to/from the drive. It seems tome that the drivers in the SCS.4DJ are the deciding factor when incomes to efficiently using any type of device connecting to, as well as the library/device size. I upgraded from a 32gb flash drive to a 128gb SSD. I think at the end of it all, your individual experience is what will give you the answer you're looking for. Professor BX had great results but he preferred a particular brand and you also have to consider the size/bitrate of your tracks.

Unless you feel like you need to upgrade, I would stick with what you have. However, if you feel that you need the extra space and are having issues with freezing (you mentioned a crash during practive sessions), I would do the upgrade and get a decent enclosure for it. I bought a USB3.0 enclosure but it doesn't matter because the unit throttles it down to the USB2.0 speed.

The TorqX drives really worked well for me, as well as the various Samsung 840 SSD drives I have tried. The PNY drives have a weird controller-their read/write speed is sort of bottlenecked and I have never been able to figure out the root cause. The Samsung 840 sort of hits the sweet spot formerly occupied by the TorqX drives as far as speed and cost-I would go that route.