Gibson Brands Forums

Tradetang Les Pauls?!? (Fakes)

CyanShayan

So like i said in my previous topic, i have £550 to spend on a completely new setup containing a new guitar and amp and since im a big Slash (GNR era) fan, i want to get as close to his sound as possible with that budget. Now ive considered getting an Epiphone Standard LP and a 50 watt Marshall all in one combo but the thing is with Epiphone guitars is that i hate the way they look. Now the burst colours look great on them but the colour im wanting is a goldtop and when i saw the epiphone goldtop LP, it just looked cheap, tacky and looked nothing like the original but then this guy at the guitar store told me that i can get these fake Gibson guitars from "tradetang.com" that seem to look identical to the original, and get this, they only sell for around £250 (including hard case and shipping from CHINA). So obviously these arnt going to be American made quality but when looking up some videos, after a pro setup and pickup change, they actually sound really nice (better than an epiphone in my opinion) so in your opinion, should i get one of these or save myself the trouble and go for an epiphone? BTW - please no hate for bringing up this fake LP topic

Interesting....

What shop recommended you look at them?

It was from this local store in eastkilbride, glasgow, scotland called "the EK guitar store" lol :P. they're quite a small store and they dont sell anything expensive like fenders or gibsons

Firstly;

I've played a Trade Tang LP which was bought by a friend and I can assure you it was a piece of utter crap. Seriously.

In fact even my friend could tell it was sh!t and he was just starting to learn the guitar. He sold it after about a week.

Secondly;

Many of the snaps on the T-T website are actually Gibson Les Pauls - not their own rubbish.

Thirdly;

If you think you wouldn't be able to get close to 'Slash-Tone' from pretty much any humbucker-equipped guitar and half-decent amp pairing you are very much mistaken.

Slash could use almost any guitar and amp combination and still sound like himself. Ditto B.F. Gibbons.

I had an Epi LP for a while and although there WAS a tonal difference between that and an R0 it was not all THAT different - especially not if you are dialling in buckets of gain.

In the other thread there was a bit of advice telling you to get a 5W Blackstar. That and an Epi will be able to give you 'Slash-Tone'. No problem.

If it doesn't then be assured; the fault isn't with the kit...

P.

Firstly;

I've played a Trade Tang LP which was bought by a friend and I can assure you it was a piece of utter crap. Seriously.

In fact even my friend could tell it was sh!t and he was just starting to learn the guitar. He sold it after about a week.

Secondly;

Many of the snaps on the T-T website are actually Gibson Les Pauls - not their own rubbish.

Thirdly;

If you think you wouldn't be able to get close to 'Slash-Tone' from pretty much any humbucker-equipped guitar and half-decent amp pairing you are very much mistaken.

Slash could use almost any guitar and amp combination and still sound like himself. Ditto B.F. Gibbons.

I had an Epi LP for a while and although there WAS a tonal difference between that and an R0 it was not all THAT different - especially not if you are dialling in buckets of gain.

In the other thread there was a bit of advice telling you to get a 5W Blackstar. That and an Epi will be able to give you 'Slash-Tone'. No problem.

If it doesn't then be assured; the fault isn't with the kit...

P.

Thanks for the great advice dude :P about the blackstar amp, (excuse my noobiness) i thought that to sound like slash, you will need to use around the same type of amp he uses so in this case, a marshall amp, not a blackstar. Correct me if im wrong though cause im still sort of a beginner with these things.

You're asking for trouble going down this road.

You'll end with a guitar that plays & sounds like a dog..

That won't be worth the postage it cost you to buy it, if you ever tried to sell it.

I see what ure sayin but again correct me if I'm wrong, if u had a pro set it up and did a few upgrades to it (pickup change, the usual) then would it play and sound better?

Sorry BTouth76, im tourin Iran right now and cause of the government here, youtube is filtered so i cant watch the video uve put on :-( could u tell me what the vid is about?

Judas Priest - Breaking the Law. [wink]

Cheers... Bence

...I thought that to sound like slash, you will need to use around the same type of amp he uses so in this case, a marshall amp, not a blackstar...

No. To sound like Slash you would need his technique, his playing-style and his ability.

In comaprison to those requirements the equipment used is (almost) academic.

Much like guitars - where most are derived (at least in some part) from either a Tele, Strat, LP or SG there are a few basic types of amps; and it is this basic selection which forms the basis for modern 'Modelling' amps.

Therefore you have your 'Marshall' setting; your 'Fender Silverface' (i.e. Twin Reverb) setting; a Fender 'Tweed' setting; your Vox AC-30 setting and that little lot pretty much covers the basics in terms of fundamental 'Tone'.

Amplifiers nowadays can be very sophisticated bits of kit but in essence they generally hark back to one of these four 'roots' depending on what style of amp they wish to offer.

Blackstar are firmly in the 'Marshall-esque' group; by which I mean a cranked Blackstar will sound, to all intents and purposes, indentical to a cranked Marshall.

But bear in mind Joe Bonamassa's comments regarding the occasion when Clapton accepted his offer to join him on stage to play a version of 'Stepping Out' (from The Beano');

On the original recording EC played his 'burst through a Marshall combo but that day he was going to play a Strat through a modern Fender Tweed. According to JB Clapton sounded EXACTLY like he did on the original.

As I said earlier; any decent humbucker guitar through any decent amp should get you near enough. After that it's all down to you.

P.

Blackstar are firmly in the 'Marshall-esque' group; by which I mean a cranked Blackstar will sound, to all intents and purposes, indentical to a cranked Marshall.

I would like to jump on Pippy's back here and elaborate a little on Blackstar. The company was founded by a bunch of (former) Marshall employees (designers, engineers, those types) that wanted to incorporate some cool modern ideas into Marshall amps. Marshall said no, so they took off and formed Blackstar (in a nutshell). The amps are made in Korea, which usually spells disaster, but as a former Blackstar owner (and just about any Blackstar owner on this or any other site will tell you), they are quality amps. If you are looking for a high gain 2-channel tube amp for a small amount of money, they are a hell of a deal.

Here's a link to their site... http://www.blackstaramps.com/about/introduction.php

Thanks for the great ideas guys :P so from what ive gathered from you all, ure saying that i should get something like an epiphone les paul standard MG and a decent blackstar amp which will apparently cover the tone if a cranked marshall. Ill go try this out at a music store in Tehran tommorow and ill post my feedback :P anymore ideas till tommorow will be much appreciated :P

Thanks for the great ideas guys :P so from what ive gathered from you all, ure saying that i should get something like an epiphone les paul standard MG and a decent blackstar amp which will apparently cover the tone if a cranked marshall. Ill go try this out at a music store in Tehran tommorow and ill post my feedback :P anymore ideas till tommorow will be much appreciated :P

Guest Farnsbarns

It was from this local store in eastkilbride, glasgow, scotland called "the EK guitar store" lol :P. they're quite a small store and they dont sell anything expensive like fenders or gibsons

If they sell epiphones they might not for long once Gibson see this.

Given what they said to you they're obviously utterly clueless and you should probably disregard anything they tell you in future.

I was deliberately non commentative in my first reply in the hope you would name them but you'd have to be mad to buy a fake LP. They're terrible by all accounts and Epiphone guitars are great for the price point, actually, they're amazing for the price point. As are some other budget brands.

If you're going to even consider a knock off, look into Burny. They're made in Japan and I know several people that swear by them and ended up selling their Gibsons because they didn't feel they needed them anymore. I played one for a few minutes and it weighed a ton and had tiny vintage frets, but seemed to play and sound pretty good. I wouldn't give up my LP for one, but they're a step up from the Chinese crp.

So like i said in my previous topic, i have £550 to spend on a completely new setup containing a new guitar and amp and since im a big Slash (GNR era) fan, i want to get as close to his sound as possible with that budget. Now ive considered getting an Epiphone Standard LP and a 50 watt Marshall all in one combo but the thing is with Epiphone guitars is that i hate the way they look. Now the burst colours look great on them but the colour im wanting is a goldtop and when i saw the epiphone goldtop LP, it just looked cheap, tacky and looked nothing like the original but then this guy at the guitar store told me that i can get these fake Gibson guitars from "tradetang.com" that seem to look identical to the original, and get this, they only sell for around £250 (including hard case and shipping from CHINA). So obviously these arnt going to be American made quality but when looking up some videos, after a pro setup and pickup change, they actually sound really nice (better than an epiphone in my opinion) so in your opinion, should i get one of these or save myself the trouble and go for an epiphone? BTW - please no hate for bringing up this fake LP topic

i've seen one of these chinese knockoffs, 'Fibsons' and played it in a pawn shop because I thought because it said 'Gibson' on the headstock that it was genuine. The shop owner made no allusions to it's authenticity and even told me it was a fake when i asked if it was a real gibson. These fakes only look like gibsons and at that, there are minor details you can find that distinguish them as fakes. The model I looked at was a Supreme (for 600 dollars :o) and it didn't sound that good. One look on the inside (electronics cavity) of one of these Chinese fakes and you will see ... IT IS NOT A GIBSON!!! Don't fuel illegal counterfeit trade by buying one of these knockoffs. You won't get any warranty or customer service that you would at least get with Epiphone.

Archived