Gibson Brands Forums

Buying this SG from a guy tomorrow. Real or fake?

convergeguy

It looks pretty good from here, how much is he asking?

750, apparently it's an early 2000's model.

He accidentally sent the truss rod cover picture in a slideshow file so I wasn't able to upload it, but it seems to check out (2 screw, right distance from nut, rod hole isn't exposed and such)

I know some stuff to look for - screw size on the bridge, "deluxe" on the tuners, slanted headstock. Other than that though, not sure what to check for.

From what I can see in the pics, no concerns other than the fact the pictures are blurry (which of itself is a bit of a red flag) - better pics should have been provided.

I agree. I've amassed a list I plan to bring and check in person.

- Size/height of nut

- Width of binding in headstock

- Depth of top wave/indent of headstock

- screw size in bridge

- binding, and whether or not it covers the sides of the frets

- headstock tilt angle

- does the pickup switch have an actual nut around the toggle switch, or is it ircular

- font size and depth of serial number engraving

trying to find anything else to add.

1372134648[/url]' post='1391485']

750, apparently it's an early 2000's model.

He accidentally sent the truss rod cover picture in a slideshow file so I wasn't able to upload it, but it seems to check out (2 screw, right distance from nut, rod hole isn't exposed and such)

I know some stuff to look for - screw size on the bridge, "deluxe" on the tuners, slanted headstock. Other than that though, not sure what to check for.

$750 seems reasonable if everything is stock. Do you know what type of pick ups it has in it?

$750 seems reasonable if everything is stock. Do you know what type of pick ups it has in it?

Stock.

So, I checked it out today, and everything seemed fine. Bought it and took some better picks for you guys to look at (I already dropped it off to get setup somewhere so I can't take more right now)

Didn't notice anything alarming, nor did the luthier I dropped my guitar off at (asked him), but here they are. Let's hear the final verdict.

Serial code : 03483618. In the first 8 however, it seems a speck of paint has come off in the groves of the stamped 8, but the rest are completely black as should be. That's the only thing that worries me.

aCqe5on.jpg

yLDMPKo.jpg

0EOH9He.jpg

9zI3rwn.jpg

w4sekGh.jpg

Looks well taken care of and in very good condition.

Congrats. . B)

Thanks man. Was in pretty sore need of a tross rod readjustment though, but other than that, seemed essentially new.

Man, I really need to buy myself a 99 dollar squier and learn how to do setups/pickup installations and such myself. I know they're simple, but I'm always worried I'll break something haha.

so, like how does it play?... that's the best reason to take it to a professional and get it set up. A good luthier will notice or find problems that

you didn't see, and fix them for a price... but you got a good deal on that guitar, so it's worth it. My first SG got my attention while hanging

on a rack at GC... when I touched it, it sort of came alive in my hands. I had no choice but to buy it. That was in 2008, and it's still my favorite.

and yes, you can do your own setup work, or a lot of it. most of us do. But the professional has the right tools to make things

nearly perfect. so the first setup gets you off to a great start. If you bought a used Epiphone, you could learn a lot by messing

around with that.

Here's a good book to get... every guitarist should own and use this book. 'How to make your Electric Guitar Play Great" by Dan Earlewine.

Highly recommended. It tells you everything you need to know, and how to do it, and what tools to use. Good pictures really help the

explanations. Yours looks like a fine SG. I like to use Fret Doctor on my fingerboards... lemon oil is almost as good.

The only thing that looked odd to me was the control cavity cover. It looks bigger than stock, so you might google that and see

what other SGs in your model year looked like.

Rock that sucker!

Here's a good book to get... every guitarist should own and use this book. 'How to make your Electric Guitar Play Great" by Dan Earlewine.

+1 on that book, it covers so much useful information on all types of guitars and guitar hardware.

Nice purchase on that SG, really dig the black. I use Dunlop 65 on my fretboards about once or twice a year...

Archived