Gibson Brands Forums

any ideas??

mike tango

My month old gibson prewar jumbo is in the shop for a second time. first to level and crown frets, now just finished another setup and reseat a couple of frets. the thing is, i can still hear what sounds like a fretted out overtone on the first and second string . I have replaced the strings. the overtone is there on an open string or when the string is fretted. The experienced autherized gibson repair guy is at a loss as to what is creating this. Any ideas????

Tough to figure without a first hand look, but......

A loose nut or bushing on one or more machine head post?

Loose brace that is reacting to the high E string?

An improperly seated string ball end buzzing against the pin?

A "fretted out overtone" makes me think of a too-low string rattling or buzzing against a fret......is this what you mean? Not too many senarios cause this. In fact, only one: a too-low string contacting a fret somewhere on the fingerboard. Why does a month old jumbo need a level & crown job? Not to speak ill of your authorized luthier but I have encountered some real knuckleheads wearing that badge. If one of the above conditions is not obvious after close inspection I'd venture to another shop for a second opinion.

My month old gibson prewar jumbo is in the shop for a second time. first to level and crown frets, now just finished another setup and reseat a couple of frets. the thing is, i can still hear what sounds like a fretted out overtone on the first and second string . I have replaced the strings. the overtone is there on an open string or when the string is fretted. The experienced autherized gibson repair guy is at a loss as to what is creating this. Any ideas????

You are in Canada so all warranty issues are handled through Yorkville Sound (Long and McQuade even if you didn't buy it from L&M). I would return it to where you purchased it and ask for it to be correct or replaced. Yorkville can replace it fairly quickly with an identical model that is in the system somewhere in Canada. I know when I wanted a J200 and there wasn't one in Alberta, they found one in Saskatchewan at an L&M store and I had it overnight (with a 30 day period where if I didn't like it they'd send for another until I was satisfied).

After two times in the shop, they should fix it or replace it. Additionally, I can't think of why a new guitar would need fret leveling. It should have never left the factory in that condition.

I think I have this solved . Thanks for the replies. With the extra pearl between the saddle and the pins on this model , I think that when the action was lowered on the treble side, the angle of the string was not sharp enough to provide a clean sound at the bridge. I have to say the tech at L&M in Canada has been very patient and professional in helping me get the best action and sound out of this guitar. Hopefully all is well now.

Archived