Gibson Brands Forums

Ernie Ball Cobalt Strings

scottffitch

Hello,

I was curious to know what the forum members here think about Ernie Ball Cobalt strings, and how they compare to Ernie Ball Nickel wounds...

I play mainly SG's with full size humbuckers and occasionally Les Pauls (also with full size HB) with Ernie Ball Super Slinky Nickel Wound 09-42's..

I play mostly classic rock and bluesy stuff. I can't say I have any complaints with the nickel wound strings, but the advertisements, and buzz around has my interests piqued..

anyone have any experience/opinions on these strings?

Thanks in advance for any info!

-scott

Worth trying once though I was disappointed. They'd been praised by 2 or 3 forum members so I got a .10 set and put them on my Shine semi. Not as loud or great tonally as I hoped and not a good feel either IMO, so I won't be buying them again.

Probably better on a solidbody?

I also tried stainless steel again recently and didn't like those either (I remember putting a set on my Strat and liking them years ago).

I am currently sold on DR handmade blues .11 set which are a bit pricier then EBs but much bendier, very good tone - bright but thick - and consistent volume from low too high, i.e. the basses aren't louder than the trebles.

I don't think you ever get to the end of this strings business!

Regards!

Hello!

Nothing extraordinary about them. Just like all other EBs: not very durable.

I've tried many brands and finally settled with Rotosounds. They sound great, last long, and not as expensive as my second favorite Elixirs.

Also note: for Gibsons rather use nickel-wound or pure nickel strings, because of the relative softness of the fretwire.

Cheers... Bence

Hello!

Nothing extraordinary about them. Just like all other EBs: not very durable.

I've tried many brands and finally settled with Rotosounds. They sound great, last long, and not as expensive as my second favorite Elixirs.

Also note: for Gibsons rather use nickel-wound or pure nickel strings, because of the relative softness of the fretwire.

Cheers... Bence

Bence,

could you further elaborate on your comments..?

What specifically is the material Gibson uses for their fret wire?

What specifically makes EB strings not very durable?

Thanks

-scott

Hello Scott!

I don't know what alloy is used by Gibson for fretwire, but it's rather soft. Wears much quicker than the ones on my Tele, and as they used to on my former Ibanez. Thus, pure nickel strings are recommended for them (by anyone I've talked to).

EBs last 2 weeks for me. Elixirs and Rotosounds last months. I always write the date of the string change on the package I've put on a guitar and put it into the case. The last week, I've put on new sets on all four guitars I own now - most of them got Rotosounds again, except for my LP Recording, which received a set of D'Addarios (I haven't checked them out yet). As it turned out to be, the previous string change on all my guitars happened in February. They all had Rotosound R10s, and they weren't even in bad shape. I've changed them because it was time for a major cleaning and some tweaking on my instruments, since weather became very hot recently.

Let's not forget, we all have different body chemistry. EBs might be great strings - many praise them. They just didn't worked out for me. After 2 weeks they become black and lose their tone.

Cheers... Bence

I bought four sets, and proceeded to load them up on three gibsons and a strat.

the stings I've used forever are D'Addario XLs

There's a few good things I can relate IME

1: I sense they are more articulate than nickel strings. I found when doing legato runs the note dynamics were more even. There's just "more" to the note projection. Notes do seem to just punch out with more clarity and authority. it's subtle, but it's there

2: For me, they seemed stretch and settle down and hold tune fast.

3: Contrary to what Bence found, for me they did seem to last a while without any noticeable degradation. I put them on in January, and just about 3 weeks ago, I switched em out on one of my Les Pauls (i play the LPs more than others. so it's not like they didn't get "hours" of use, they did.. (note that I have a pretty dry complexion/skin.. )

There's a few things that weren't "great" IME

1: you will notice the feel immediately,, they don't feel like nickel at all. In fact, even brand new, they sort of feel like they need a good wiping down.

2: they well leave a lot of residue on your fingers, when I did my first change, I also cleaned and oiled the fret board, I found the edges of the frets had more "gunk" collected than usual.

3: after a while, they "smell" rusty.. I guess that's the best word I can use. Eventually that's when I decided to change em.

4: they're expensive. I've got about 12 electrics. I can get a 10 pack of XLs for about 30 bucks. EB Cobalts are close to 10 bucks per set. Not a big deal if you have one or two axes to keep in strings.

I still have one set remaining, I've gone back to D'Addario XLs on two of the Gibsons. And I'm about to change em on the last remaining LP. and they are still loaded on my strat, which I don't play as much as the gibby's.

I'm on the fence if I will use the last set of cobalts I have or just go with the my old stand by.

So over all I would say they will be different for you, I don't dislike them. I'm just not "All in". Some of what they add I think is good. and you may love em, Give em a try, you have nothing to loose.

Hello Scott!

I don't know what alloy is used by Gibson for fretwire, but it's rather soft. Wears much quicker than the ones on my Tele, and as they used to on my former Ibanez. Thus, pure nickel strings are recommended for them (by anyone I've talked to).

EBs last 2 weeks for me. Elixirs and Rotosounds last months. I always write the date of the string change on the package I've put on a guitar and put it into the case. The last week, I've put on new sets on all four guitars I own now - most of them got Rotosounds again, except for my LP Recording, which received a set of D'Addarios (I haven't checked them out yet). As it turned out to be, the previous string change on all my guitars happened in February. They all had Rotosound R10s, and they weren't even in bad shape. I've changed them because it was time for a major cleaning and some tweaking on my instruments, since weather became very hot recently.

Let's not forget, we all have different body chemistry. EBs might be great strings - many praise them. They just didn't worked out for me. After 2 weeks they become black and lose their tone.

Cheers... Bence

Bence-

Thanks for the clarification!

I bought four sets, and proceeded to load them up on three gibsons and a strat.

the stings I've used forever are D'Addario XLs

There's a few good things I can relate IME

1: I sense they are more articulate than nickel strings. I found legato the note dynamics were more even. There's just "more" to the note projection. Notes do seem to just punch out with more clarity and authority. it's subtle, but it's there

2: For me, they seemed stretch and settle down and hold tune fast.

3: Contrary to what Bence found, for me they did seem to last a while without any noticeable degradation. I put them on in January, and just about 3 weeks ago, I switched em out on one of my Les Pauls (i play the LPs more than others. so it's not like they didn't get "hours" of use, they did.. (note that I have a pretty dry complexion/skin.. )

There's a few things that weren't "great" IME

1: you will notice the feel immediately,, they don't feel like nickel at all. In fact, even brand new, they sort of feel like they need a good wiping down.

2: they well leave a lot of residue on your fingers, when I did my first change, I also cleaned and oiled the fret board, I found the edges of the frets had more "gunk" collected than usual.

3: after a while, they "smell" rusty.. I guess that's the best word I can use. Eventually that's when I decided to change em.

4: they're expensive. I've got about 12 electrics. I can get a 10 pack of XLs for about 30 bucks. EB Cobalts are close to 10 bucks per set. Not a big deal if you have one or two axes to keep in strings.

I still have one set remaining, I've gone back to D'Addario XLs on two of the Gibsons. And I'm about to change em on the last remaining LP. and they are still loaded on my strat, which I don't play as much as the gibby's.

I'm on the fence if I will use the last set of cobalts I have or just go with the my old stand by.

So over all I would say they will be different for you, I don't dislike them. I'm just not "All in". Some of what they add I think is good. and you may love em, Give em a try, you have nothing to loose.

Kidblast,

thanks for the detailed info! GC has that string of the month club (or whatever it's called..) which gives me $5 off a pack of strings/month..I think come July, I'll mosey on down and pick up a pack for a try--- I have to admit, I don't change my strings as often as I "should." I kind of prefer a deadened string that offers up a nice "thump" on the bass side...truth be told, only reason I change strings anymore is to keep from terrible intonation issues at bay.,,

Thanks again all for all the info!

-scott

Archived